The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hoang

Re: Fun with MF images - Part 3

Jim, this might be weird but,... I love the 100% crop. To me, it seems like a waterfall.

woodyspedden

Was out shooting in 40mph winds and of course Colorado is brown as toast at this time of year so I thought I would go with black and white conversions from SilverEfex.

Would appreciate critical feedback. I know the image is not tack sharp as a result of the wind but anything else would be appreciated

Woody

Stuart Richardson

Hi Woody,
I like the photo, but if you are asking for critiques, I think the photo might have benefited from a different vantage point. Perhaps one where more of the vehicle is visible, as well as the background. As it is framed now, it is kind of hard to figure out what you are looking at, as well as the context in which it is placed. If you had had a higher camera angle, or maybe shot from somewhere further to the left, I think it might have had a clearer subject. At the moment, the vehicle and the tires are kind of competing for the attention in the frame.

J

jmvdigital

Woody- I agree with Stuart's comments. Along with changing vantage point, I may have tried moving in closer to the vehicle, or further away to encompass a more "landscape" shot. Right now, it's kind of stuck in a documentary/snapshot/"I didn't want to leave the path" type shot.

I also wanted to add that the black and white conversion could be a bit better. The darkness of the tires and vehicle is nice, but the entire rest of the frame lacks any contrast. The road in front, the grass and the sky, all become one sorta grey mass (at least at this size). I suspect that the tires and vehicle will be dark no matter what conversion formula you use... see if SilverEfex will give you something with better sky and foreground contrast.

I'm glad you're out shooting. The wind has been crazy here hasn't it?!

woodyspedden

O.K.

Today was much better weather, especially the wind. So I trucked out my Hassy, changed lenses and perspective and came up with one I think worked out pretty well. Still looking for constructive critiques so have at it.

Woody

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Woody, I personally like this one a lot better than the other!

:thumbs:

J

jmvdigital

Woody, nice improvement. The foreground is much improved with composition and contrast. I still say the sky could use a little bump in midtone contrast. The position of the vehicle I'm not sure about. There's an awkward balance there. The tires lead nicely to the "main" subject, but they kinda crash into each other; the size of tires in relation to the size of the vehicle make them compete for prominence to me, there is no dynamic balance.

All boiled down... The fact that the vehicle is place dead center in the frame, implies it's the main subject, but the size and balance in relation to the tires suggests confusion to me.

My C&C for today. :)

PS: Woody, where did you shoot this? I do alot of my shooting up north of Fort Collins hitting the dirt farming roads.

J

jmvdigital

Woody, now we're talking. Personally, for my taste, I like this version of the image far better than the other two. It's moodier, more complex, less documentary. Nice!

woodyspedden

So as not to beat a dead horse this will be the last iteration of this image (although I may continue to work on it without posting). Here is added additional structure and grain using Silver Efex and did selective darkening of the sky using conventional burn plus edge burn in Silver Efex to add drama, al la a "Psycho" look. Obviously the darkened area on the right hand side of the image in the sky needs feathering to blend downward into the lighter sky area. Will do that next.

Still lots of work to do but I feel like I am homing in on it.

Love any remaining comments. I can only get better

Justin

Take Harmony East until you get to the road leading to Timnath. Follow the road out of town and within a mile there will be a dirt road turnoff to the right. Follow this, past the super red barn, and this scene will be on top of the hill past a nice horse ranch. If you can't find it, let me know and I will try to get better directions.

Woody

J

jmvdigital

Weird, somehow your post changed times and moved below my response (now above it).

woodyspedden

Justin et al

I finished the file for now with some more work on the clouds and sky which I think are approaching the mood I want for this image. Again C&C are very welcome.

Woody

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I'm stuck inside babysitting grandchildren so I played with the AFD III, Macro D/P45+. Not art - just fun!

First is 3 secs at f32, ISO 100. Second is 1/6 at f8, ISO 400. Natural light from north facing windows.

Bill

Last edited:

Professional

Her name is: "Mouza", which means "Banana", i know it is funny but this name is so popular in my country.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member

Her name is: "Mouza", which means "Banana", i know it is funny but this name is so popular in my country.

A beautiful model and very nice portraits...the light reflection is a little disconcerting as it is so close to the pupil. I have read that most will try to place the catch light in the upper part of the eye away from the pupil as it seems more natural there. I assume that you can do this by redirecting her gaze or raising the light a bit. Others may want to comment.

Again, beautiful rendition of skin tone contrast and color.

Bob

Professional

A beautiful model and very nice portraits...the light reflection is a little disconcerting as it is so close to the pupil. I have read that most will try to place the catch light in the upper part of the eye away from the pupil as it seems more natural there. I assume that you can do this by redirecting her gaze or raising the light a bit. Others may want to comment.

Again, beautiful rendition of skin tone contrast and color.

Bob
Thanks, i posted those shots on different forums as well, great that i was looking for color C&C, none talked about the color so i assume it is good enough.
About lighting, oh, what i can say, i posted many many photos of my daughters and there is always comments about the lighting.
My daughters will never help me to post and stand for lighting, and i am looking for certain effects but seems people wants me to forget those effects and just lit them fill overall in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.