The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Re: Fun with MF images - Part 3

Peter:

I suspect after your trip in Arizona, you will have an Phase back racing you home -- maybe even waiting at your door before you get there :D

Stuart Richardson

Peter -- those are current. Those particular shots were taken with a Rollei 6008AF (black and white ones) and a Hy6 (the color 645 ones). I use an Imacon 646. It is a great scanner, but even it cannot fully replicate the color range and contrast range of a difficult slide -- slides are just really tricky. I agree that a good film shot and a good MF digital shot are miles away, but probably not in the way you are thinking. For me it is about the "look" of film. I honestly cannot explain it, but it almost always looks better to me than digital, and this is not just for my own photos, but what I see in others' work as well. It is just what my eye prefers. I will readily admit, however, that for almost all intents and purposes, digital wins on the technical details -- it has higher apparent sharpness, more resolution, wider dynamic range, and more flexibility. But for whatever reason, film seems to look better to me, which is why I put up with it.

ptomsu

Workshop Member

Peter:

I suspect after your trip in Arizona, you will have an Phase back racing you home -- maybe even waiting at your door before you get there :D
Well Jack,

I have similar fears :D

Lets hope I can resist for a bit otherwise my wife will not be too amused ;)

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member

Poking around in the back yard looking for ideas... Mammy ZD back, 120 macro.

All garden variety, I know! :ROTFL:

Stuart Richardson

Beautiful color Jan!

Here are two from a road trip I took on Saturday night. These were taken around 11:30pm.

The mountains are called north and south Hádegisfell (noon mountain?). It is on a road to Kaldidalur (Cold Valley).

J

jmvdigital

Nice Stuart!

A weekend trip to Colorado Springs a few weeks back. From the hotel window. Saturday morning, above; Sunday morning, below.

Don Libby

Stuart - Great images you keep making me move Iceland up on my gota go there list.

Don

J

jmvdigital

Added two more to my Industrial Observations Within the Western Landscape series that I posted here a little while back.

D

ddk

Really like the last one Justin, it all seems to come together perfectly to convey the sense of solitude & serenity...

Stuart Richardson

Thanks Don and Justin! It is definitely worth a visit here for people interested in landscape photography. And lovely photos both of you -- there is something really amazing about the American west and you both do a great job of conveying that sense of scale and epic-ness.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I spent the afternoon "working" a waterfall. One frame worked, though I need to clone out that twig in the water upper left! Mamiya 28 mm.
Bill

Last edited:

Stuart Richardson

Don't clone it out! Nature's beauty is partly because of the fact that it does not conform to our rules...
Or do...whatever makes you happy. I just think too often we try to fix everything to make a "perfect" image, when the one that was unmodified was more interesting since it is less likely to conform to preconceived ideals of what's "right".

But I am the guy who doesn't like it when wrinkles and stray hairs are photoshopped out. I understand that for commercial work, but for art or personal work, I just want to see something how it IS, not how it looks after 20 minutes with a healing brush, masks and selective editing.

But it is a lovely photo, twig and all!

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

TX Stuart. I'm like you - I rarely clone anything out because I want to show things just as nature left them. But I find that twig draws my eye...

I'll try it on my dear wife who has a very good eye for such things!

Thanks for your comments. I must post a few of my Iceland shots though they pale beside yours!

Bill

JimCollum

Don't clone it out! Nature's beauty is partly because of the fact that it does not conform to our rules...
Or do...whatever makes you happy. I just think too often we try to fix everything to make a "perfect" image, when the one that was unmodified was more interesting since it is less likely to conform to preconceived ideals of what's "right".

But I am the guy who doesn't like it when wrinkles and stray hairs are photoshopped out. I understand that for commercial work, but for art or personal work, I just want to see something how it IS, not how it looks after 20 minutes with a healing brush, masks and selective editing.

But it is a lovely photo, twig and all!
i'd agree.. the twig works, and very nice image

Status
Not open for further replies.