The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Re: Fun with MF images - Part 3

Three shot stitch. P45, Cambo RS, 72mm XL.

Ed
Ed,

great pano!

I used a similar combination in Monument Valley 2 weeks ago and the panos coming from that are just stunning!

I will continue that way!

carstenw

Jim, I *love* that cruise ship shot! Cruise ships aren't really my cup of tea, but that shot is gorgeous.

Tom, congratulations on getting the arTec up and running, I like the last, yellow shot a lot.

Ed, great pano! Is there some kind of artifact in the trees on the shoreline nearer the right side? There is some kind of dark-light thing going in with an odd shape.

Here is my first MF digital post. Taken on Rügen, near Sassnitz, on a path to the chalk cliffs:

View attachment 18758

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Okay on what planet was I on when you bought a digital back. So spill the beans, what did you finally decide on.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Here is my first MF digital post. Taken on Rügen, near Sassnitz, on a path to the chalk cliffs:
Carsten:

Definitely conveys a gloomy area in the woods. I am a little confused by this image as it appears the center greenery is the main subject, but it also appears very out of focus and the overall image is pretty dark? I am curious if this soft, dark look is by design, or perhaps the central focus area is in a darker area of the image I cannot discern? (It is difficult to tell where exact focus is in the full jpeg as posted.) What lens did you use?

Don Libby

HTML:
...first MF digital post...
I missed the memo regarding the meeting so I must of missed the announcement. When did this take place? Come on spill the beans....:D

By the way lovely image in a soft, slightly blurry way.

Don

etrump

Ed, great pano! Is there some kind of artifact in the trees on the shoreline nearer the right side? There is some kind of dark-light thing going in with an odd shape.
Carsten, I don't see what you are talking about. Could be the different reflection in the cove protected a little better from the breeze???

carstenw

Wow, lots of curiousity here :) I bought Tom's old e54 (which is not old at all; it still has 2 1/2 years warranty), and he moved up to the e75. I decided that it was the back I wanted, and that the long exposures would just have to wait.

It, like the Phase backs (and all backs?), comes in a ballistic-quality case, with firewire cable and other sundries. The adapter was a used (but as-new) unit from Sinar, for my Contax. I plan to add a Hasselblad adapter with time, for use on my 2000FC/M.

I use the 35/3.5 and 120/4 Macro lenses most of the time, and the above shot was taken with the Macro, wide open. The forest is dark, and in our stress packing for our first large trip with 9-month-old Caroline, and my last-minute purchase of the Kata R-103, I was fiddling with how the Kata system works, and managed to forget strapping on my tripod, so I am shooting what I can, hand-held, at ISO 50 and 100. This shot was at 100.

I am still learning the software and workflow, but I think I pretty much got my own workflow figured out, at least for now. I don't have my Huey Pro here, so I am not sure how well calibrated my MacBook Pro is. I am struggling with wildly differing light levels in the places I can edit, so the above shot ended up coming out too dark. Any tips on how to deal with this are very welcome. Additionally, it looks like there is lots of vignetting, but that is just nature. The 120/4 Macro doesn't vignette at all, that I have seen. Here is a lighter version:

View attachment 18778

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Carsten:

Okay, that explains it LLOLOL!

First off, at least in my experience, the 120 macro does vignette pretty significantly when used wide open. Stop it down two, and it is very even -- but agree there is a lot of natural vignette in the above composition too.

Looks now like the intended focus point was around the base of the tree?

As for editing, all I can say is get to areas that have more normal lighting. Again IME, the MBP's profile pretty well -- not as well as a good external monitor through a good video card, but still good enough to edit for the web with.

Ironically, I prefer the first version -- being oof on the greenery combined with the very dark, it has a kind of pinhole-ish look and has a more artsy feel. Go figure!

My .02,

Guy Mancuso

Carsten playing in the wide open arena in MF can be a dangerous task. It is extremely thin DOF even here in this scene F8 would have given almost the same look. I know your coming from the M8 but think DOF as a almost three stop difference. It takes awhile to get used to that thinking. Not that any of the lenses are bad wide open , I actually have 3 lenses that are killer wide open it is just very hard to nail exactly the point you want. Here in this case and this scene you do not really have a strong focal point to zero in on or not close enough to draw the eye towards the sharpest point in the image. So sometimes wide open does not work as effectively as you want given the subject. No let's say for argument sake you had a flower coming out of the bark of that tree ( not likely I know) but than it would be the focal point or a point that stands out. So in this case i may have went for the whole trunk of the tree at a little lower F stop.

Really takes some time to get used to the Fstop versus subject but even at F11 with that 120 focused on the eye of a person the ears will go soft. So even at that kind of F stop it still is thin with DOF. Same seen with a M8 at F11 with a eye the whole background would come in. So in essence a completely different ball game your dealing with. One trick is don't think about the number that will just screw you up. Hope that helps and I wish you the best going forward with this. I know you waited a long time and the results will be worth it.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member

When shooting models, f/11 is about as wide you can go unless you want something to go soft with the 150mm at about 8-10 feet. f/16 is a bit more forgiving if sharpness nosetip to ears is required. It also means that you need twice the flash power.
At f/11 you have only about 7 inches behind the point of focus and at f/16 you have 11.
-bob

Last edited:

tashley

Subscriber Member

Jim, I *love* that cruise ship shot! Cruise ships aren't really my cup of tea, but that shot is gorgeous.

Tom, congratulations on getting the arTec up and running, I like the last, yellow shot a lot.

View attachment 18758

Carsten, this is one of my favourite photos I've seen here... it's has such subtle, carefully observed light and composition and is very evocative. Just lovely.

Tim

thomas

First off, at least in my experience, the 120 macro does vignette pretty significantly when used wide open. Stop it down two, and it is very even
With the 120mm fall off is 0.8 EV wide open. At f5.6 it's 0.15EV and this is the same fall off at all apertures (f8, f11, f16). So sensor-weise. 1 stop is enough to even the capture.
(all regarding chip size of the P45)

tashley

Subscriber Member

Carsten:

Ironically, I prefer the first version -- being oof on the greenery combined with the very dark, it has a kind of pinhole-ish look and has a more artsy feel. Go figure!
I'm with Jack. One of the temptations with MF gear is to use it like a lab instrument, screwing every last drop of resolution out of it. You've used it quite lyrically here instead and I like that focus is not on the brightest part. If it were me I might go even further and add a little vig bottom right!

It's gorgeous.

tashley

Subscriber Member

Really takes some time to get used to the Fstop versus subject but even at F11 with that 120 focused on the eye of a person the ears will go soft.
Guy is so right. I've been using a manual focus 150mm on my Phamiya in the studio and as this shot of my nephew at F11 shows, there is NO DOF. The whole shot is a bit cropped, the eye (which is where I focussed) is at 100% as is the hair showing focus fall off on the left side at the same level as the eye. The poor lad was about three metres away.

This stuff requires such care to use well!

View attachment 18788

View attachment 18789

View attachment 18790

jlm

Workshop Member

tim you have the eye of an eagle. how could you see those eyelashes critically enough to focus in the viewfinder?

Guy Mancuso

Here is a perfect example of DOF and lack of it. Shot with the 150mm D lens at F11 . The eye is the critical focus point than watch the ear go to hell with regards to DOF. Now i will say I love this look but the NAME F11 just puts this thought in your head that heck even the background would be in. This is why I said forget the naming on DOF and everything you are accustomed too. This is 3 stops off what a M8 would do with a equivalent focal length. Completely different ball game. If I actually put a measuring stick on this maybe 2 to 3 inch total DOF at F11 and this distance. SCARY if it was F4 maybe and I mean maybe 1/2 of inch

Guy Mancuso

BTW That my friends is how good the 150 D lens and even wide open it is that sharp. Just love this lens

etrump

thanks Tim, I thought maybe one thing is missing is a subject (or person or model) in front of the wall.
I liked it too but couldn't figure out why. Just something about the colors and composition that was intriguing.

Status
Not open for further replies.