The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Re: Fun with MF images - Part 3

...knock knock....ahem.... :eek: (walking amongst MFDB giants here)

Very first attempt with a P45+, 1/50 sec 80mm @f12, 5x stitch.

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member

Hi Carsten,

I love it there! :)

Something more experimental, blindfold so to speak.... Impossible to get any closer, it was already pushing luck to a degree, I just stretched out my arm as much as possible and took one handheld... 1/460 f4.0 ISO 400

Don Libby

Phase One P65+ on Phase One 645 AF using Mamiya Auto Bellows N with Phase One 80mm lens mounted in reverse, manually stopped down to f/9.5. Processing in C1; Depth-Of-Field Stacking in Helicon Focus.

Phase One P30+ on a Sinar X View Camera with 20" of extension and a Schneider Componon-M 50mm enlarging lens at f/4.5 - 200 images processed in C1 and stacked in Helicon Focus.

Phase One P65+ on Phase One 645 AF with 35mm at f/3.5, ISO 1600 in Sensor+ mode. Processing in C1 only.

Two recent sets of images. The first two from an experiment in ultra-macro photography (thanks go to Eric Hiss who lent me two rare lenses) and the third is of my nephew on a recent family reunion at which my sister and sister-in-law both announced they were pregnant.

More of the bugs. More of the kid.

Doug
Great images Doug

Used to love playing around with macro but never got to the ultra-macro stage.

Don

Stuart Richardson

Doug those extreme macros are really interesting and beautiful in their own creepy way. I think the 6th image in your blog post is probably the most artistically interesting to me -- the way you have arranged the head next to the body somehow reminds me of the classic "bowl of fruit on the table" sort of still life, only of course slightly more gruesome.

rmueller

Hi,

Was out in Scotland for two weeks, magnificent light up there. Picture taken
with H3DII-31 and 28 mm at about 9pm just before a thunderstorm.

Regards,
Ralf

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member

Thanks Carsten and Don!

Awww, you're too kind Bill. Wish I had a friend close by here that is used to working with phase files. At a glance, working with the phamiya and such a back is a an incredible experience. I desire to get the very best out of it, but realise this will take time and a lot of experience in deed. I am amazed how clean even files at ISO 400 look on closer inspection, sure there is some noise, but it is easily controlled. I could not find any presets for Noise Ninja dealing with the P45+ unfotunately and currently I do not have time to create my own. I wonder whether I just stick to C1's NR instead.

The only thing that troubles me from my perspective is usability in harsh conditions. I would love to shoot some of these rugged cliffs from the boat at high winds, but I have no idea how I could protetct the phamiya and optics from these conditions. I am willing to deal with sea sickness, but not willing to risk the phamiyas health as it is not my property. I probably would be foolish enough to risk it if she would be mine.

....Shooting at ISO800 1/1000 sec. waves crushing against the rocks, water fountains pressed up the cliffs and cascading down again to be meet by the next wave....

I remember to have seen photographer James Balog (EIS extreme ice survey) standing in the water and his entire camera was protectect by some special plastic gear that I never saw before. May be I should drop him a line on that.

It is only my second brief experience with MFDB, but at a glance, this is the very best camera I was ever honored to use in deed. It is such a pleasure to tweak files and th eway they hold up, absolutely amazing.

To me, I can only compare the feeling of using this camera with a early childhood experience, the very first time I played Bach and Chopin on a Steinway Concert Grand, intimidating, puts you into perspective, overwhelming, and beyond a shadow of adoubt, an immediate and life long lasting love affair.:)

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Georg, I've used my Phamiya in some very rough wet conditions. I simply put a large clear plastic bag around it with a hole taped around the lens shade - and a UV filter to protect the front element. The clearer the plastic, the better you can see through the viewfinder!

Of course, you make most of your settings first and use a completely charged battery. It all works in a pinch.

Bill

PoloDigital

OK you guys, these MF DBs are like crack. I had a little taste Tuesday night courtesy of Ivan from Digital Transitions here in the Dallas area. Below is an edited image run through C1 and PS CS4. I'm hooked :-(

Model: Erika Hollings
Hasselblad H2, 210mm f/4, Phase One P25+
ISO 100, f/10, 1/125

I'll admit the web size image isn't a great deal better than what I produce with my D3, but for the brave of heart and with high speed Internet access, here is a full size 4.5MB jpg

This is the 10th image I shot and I'm still learning the Capture One software, but I must admit, I love the detail and pure shadows/highlights this large sensor provides. Pared with the H2, it's a very nice combination that may prove too alluring for me to bypass.

Only time will tell...

eleanorbrown

Snake river, Colorado. Evening. H2, P65+ 100mm HC 2.2 lens. files are very smooth. Eleanor

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.