The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Re: Fun with MF images - Part 3

David K,

Marvelous bokeh. I'm thinking that you'll probably want to hang on to that lens.

Kurt

David K

Workshop Member

Had the opportunity to shoot some fashion/swimwear shots yesterday. These with the Sinar e75LV, 80 2.8 and 110 2.0 lenses. Shot the swimwear with my Nikon and those are posted on that board.

PeterA

Hey David - I am guessing you were using a serious amount fo lighting horsepower there and in your 'kini shots..look slike you had a fun time on the beach.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member

David,
How many ws did you blast them with?
-bob

David K

Workshop Member

Hey David - I am guessing you were using a serious amount fo lighting horsepower there and in your 'kini shots..look slike you had a fun time on the beach.
Peter, used the Broncolor Verso pack but dialed it back to one stop below ambient trying to make it look like no lights were used (not sure we succeeded in that based on the comments). What you don't see in the images is the white diffuser/umbrella that we used as a scrim to lessen the contrast between shadow and highlight. The swimsuit shots were without lights... hauling 50 lbs of pack/battery down the beach (and back) when its 95 degrees outside is not fun. It was a great shoot and reminded me of how much easier things are with models who know what they're doing.

Bob, the pack was dialed way down, ambient was f/11 and the light one stop below at f/8. The model is trying to land a gig with J. Crew and we tried to emulate their look based on images from their catalogue.

Stuart Richardson

Hi David, I think the reason why people asked about the lighting is because people are extremely sensitive to the way natural light falls -- we observe it every day all day our entire lives. It only comes from one direction at once, so whenever you see something that is lit from more than one direction, your brain automatically thinks something is unnatural, even if it cannot figure out what it is. It is particularly noticeable in the first shot -- the natural light is falling off the model's right shoulder, as seen in the fence shadows. This would mean in a natural lighting situation, her front would be in shadow. But in the photo, she is fully lit from the opposite side -- so our brain sees the fence shadows going one way and the shadows on the model going the other, and even if we are not photographers, it creates this sense of "what's going on here, the world does not look like this!".

Don't get me wrong, I like the photos and the quality of light is very nice, but if you are going to work outside and want to make it look like natural light, you have to make sure you emulate the way the light falls, not just the intensity.

David K

Workshop Member

Stuart, excellent point and something for me to remember when I'm going for that non-strobe lighting look.

Graham Mitchell

I finally got a 110mm f2 PQ lens and tested it today with a friend. This is either f2 or f2.8. I'm still getting to know this lens but definitely happy so far! It's a little soft wide open (if I'm picky) but can be fixed nicely in post in the relevant places.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Nice capture Graham -- re "a little soft" wide open, are you sure it isn't just the paper-thin DoF?

Stuart Richardson

Nice work Graham! Congratulations on the lens. I am sure you will love it. I agree with Jack -- obviously it will not be as sharp wide open as it is stopped down, but the depth of field is extremely tiny, so the smallest movement in the subject can create extra softness.

Graham Mitchell

Nice capture Graham -- re "a little soft" wide open, are you sure it isn't just the paper-thin DoF?
Yes, I tested it on a tripod and shot an angled surface to eliminate focus error and it wasn't as sharp wide open as say my 80mm f2.8 but there was still usable detail which actually sharpened nicely.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Yes, I tested it on a tripod and shot an angled surface to eliminate focus error and it wasn't as sharp wide open as say my 80mm f2.8 but there was still usable detail which actually sharpened nicely.
Okay, got it -- but then you probably didn't buy that lens for supreme detail wide open anyway :D

Clawery

Hey Guys and Grrrrlzzz

I went through most of this thread - glimpsing through the pictures... not reading a single bit...almost.

While watching, I have had a new favourite photographer, one I really admire and some I believe would be better of with a Leica-format Yashica.

Well this is my first forum entrance -and I just found this gorgeous site by accident, and already have learned a lot.

Making it short : me, analogue first, digital last - however i just bought the H3d2-39 with a HCD28 and HC80. But before working with those and showing off most of "who cares pictures", I will just let you know that I am in favour of analogue still.

I noticed that Guy wrote about a lens that it was tack-sharp wide open, and bokeh / unsharpness started at the ear (a portrait model photographed at page 50 something )

Well .... True

But working analogue, I encourage you guys and grrrrlzzzz - remember Jamin, Darlot ...before Tessar lenses ruined it all

Back in the days of Julia Margaret Cameron - lenses had different performance and feel .... and I would like you to go back for a while.... Glooge her up...

Photography is about seeing and observing - an in many cases Deception, well capture is the least bit as you might already know whether analogue or digital....but working with the old techniques still, while having one of the best MF digital and DSLR´s around - I keep coming back to analogue.... what about you guys and Grr.....?

I know I really could not live without digital - and will of course get rid of my Canon-**** just when I get settled with the H3 - but analogue is still a true performer for me.

When that H3-thing happends I will work both H3, Bromoil, Cyanotype, Linhof, Diana F, Sinar, Jamin, Darlot, Kodak Portrait lens and Heliars

Well this pretty much sums up my views on photography - I have both options still, whether it be H3 or Polaroid Type 55

Just my thoughts - after watching a great gallery...Your Gallery :toocool:

Claus Stensgaard
Bluelemon
Nice B&W work!

Chris Lawery (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

viablex1

I absolutely agree with you Eleanor, but no matter how many pictures like these are made, most men consume this stuff like geese being munched for paté de foie. We are guilty as charged.
Eduardo
seconded eleanor, and hopefully you have never seen the abysmal model mayhem website. Part of me wants to tell some of these women , you don't have to do that and please get some self -esteem, not all but some!!!

Don Libby

Colorado River in the Grand Canyon - Cambo WRS 1000, P45+ Schneider short barrel 120mm lens, and of course the Cube. Shot near sunset processed in CS4.

Don

etrump

A couple of different looks from Page, AZ shot last year. Just getting around to properly processing them. Both P30+ processed in C1 and CS4:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Ed,

Are those taken with the Arsat 30 or the Mamiya 24 fish? Very nice compositions both.

Status
Not open for further replies.