The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

etrump

Re: Fun with MF images - Part 3

Doug,

Very pleasant lighting and processing on the wedding photos. Nicely done.

Ed

S

Shelby Lewis

Been trying to meet up with the Capture Integration guys FOREVER to test some MF gear... went down to Birmingham, AL for an open house of sorts and FINALLY got to shoot some of the gear I'm interested in. :thumbup:

Dave Gallagher and Chris Lawrey (sorry not to see you, Steve, after all these years of communication) were fantastically helpful. Meg, the model, was even cool with me using the images of her (that I took) for personal use only, in return for a few files for her portfolio.

I don't have c1 currently, so I had to do some acrobatics with Raw Developer and Lightroom to process these. :thumbdown:

I'm pretty sure this was with an H1 with the p30+ .. later on I tried the phase body as well (which I liked better)... my first effort using these great cams. Hope to buy real soon.

and a 100% crop... coming from canon and sony, this is mind-boggling to me:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Congrats Shelby! You should really try to meet with somebody that has C1 to show what it can do with the color in those files -- fair warning though, if you do that, you will buy C1 Pro!

PS: did you tell her contact lens wasn't centered?

;),

S

Shelby Lewis

Congrats Shelby! You should really try to meet with somebody that has C1 to show what it can do with the color in those files
yeah... it's killing me having such great files and having to struggle with RAW conversions that supply color that doesn't come anywhere close to what I saw with C1 last night... of course it also could have been that $3K Eizo we were looking at as well.

Those CI guys are just spoiled!

Oh... and this is sad... I'm still getting mileage out of a Dual Core G5 PowerMac (which actually works really well with my current low volume workflow)... and it isn't compatible with c1 since I'm on OS X 10.4.11 (which is speedier on my machine than 10.5) Guess I'll add a new computer to the shopping list as well.

S

Shelby Lewis

You can download a free trial do that and reprocess.
I actually own C1 v4 (non pro), but it won't run on my OS (OS X 10.4.11 :() ... strange, because as a beta it ran fine on my system, and then when it went to official version 4 it stopped working. :thumbdown::thumbdown:

I'm not sure which beauty dish it was, but the light was FAR more nuanced than my Alien Bee dish. I didn't expect that. It was like no matter where it was put, it looked good. I guess it goes to show how sometimes you actually do get what you pay for.

thomas

1. you don't have to buy C1 Pro. If you need it just for the P30+ you can use the DB version. It's free and it's the same as the Pro version but doesn't support DSRLs (but all Phase Backs).

2. you can download C1 V3.7.8 for your G5 (phseone.com -> capture one -> previous versions).
you'd have to learn the old interface (that's easy) but you'd have e.g. the color editor as well.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member

Bob:

Right on!!

Watch the transitions from highlight to shadow though. It's verrrrry easy to let those posterize. In fact, before I began shooting these with a Phase I was not able to avoid it. One of the nice things about that 16bit file is just how smooth you can get tonal transitions even when you push the file around a LOT.

I really like the way you've incorporated the face without losing the anonymity that I find so appealing about this lighting style.

Doug

Doug-Peterson.com

eleanorbrown

Another from Yellowstone Lake overlook. This one earlier in the evening, looking south toward the Tetons which are almost 100 miles away. They can be seen at the horison. P65+ H2 100 2.2 HC lens. Eleanor

Don Libby

Another from Yellowstone Lake overlook. This one earlier in the evening, looking south toward the Tetons which are almost 100 miles away. They can be seen at the horison. P65+ H2 100 2.2 HC lens. Eleanor
Eleanor - how's the Fall colors?

Images looks great!

Don

eleanorbrown

Don, not much really good fall color in Yellowstone...first of all, aspens are rare in the park and while the grasses and some willows were turning yellow that was about it. A little red here and there in grasses and leaves, but for the most part, what Fall color yellowstone gets, had not peaked yet. Two years ago the last day we were in yellowstone, the reds in the grasses and bushes/willow leaves kicked in big time and the day we were leaving yellowstone 2 years ago, it snowed.

This year, the weather was very warm in Yellowstone...hitting 78-80 one of the days (we were only there 3 full days). Think Fall was late in coming up there. Fall color is hitting early here in our part of Colorado however. eleanor

Eleanor - how's the Fall colors?

Images looks great!

Don

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Scary image, but very well done! Love the subject, composition and lighting. Even the odd lighting artifact lower right which would normally bother me a lot somehow is so well placed for this image, it works. :thumbs:

etrigan63

Bob, could you elaborate the lighting setup for that (or at least point me in the right direction?)

Fantastic shot, BTW.

I achieved something similar with my dancers, but I had no control over the lighting and would like to recreate it.

tashley

Subscriber Member
The Ascent of Man (well, of chilli actually....)

P45+ with Bowens 2 metre wafer as key and small softbox as fill. Phamiya with Extension Tube #1 and 80D lens, F14 ISO 50 1/125th on a Cube with a 'frotto CF pod...

Oh, and I even grew the chillis!

One practical note: I learn from this exercise that you can't shoot this combo from overhead without a lot of hassle - gravity causes the lens to fall forward away from focus so you have to use live view and keep your finger on the focus ring throughout...

Best

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.