The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Libby

Re: Fun with MF images - Part 3

Another sunset at the South Rim. Same equipment used, Cambo WRS1000, P45+, Schneider 72mm lens and of course the Cube. No drama this time other than freezing various parts off while waiting. :D

This was a 2 shot pano going out to 15mm both directions.

Don

Douglas Benton

I know the feeling only with me it never really matters but with you it does matter because I WANT TO KNOW EXACTLY HOW YOU DID IT!
:D:D:D
I shot this with a 110-205 Mamiya towards the longer end I think. I was using the modeling light for exposure (don't ask me why, probably couldn't get the light powered down enough). For those of you familiar with the Kodak back, you know it didn't love tungsten and skin tones. But this was just a test shot.

The post processing is mostly a processes of building up contrast with a bleach bypass filter. A number of plug ins have this, I happen to use the one in Tiffen (use to be DFT 55mm). You should be able to download a trail version, but I would look at it pretty close before buying. It has a lot of stuff, most of which I can't find a use for. You have to be careful when using them as they can screw up a file pretty quickly. I know I took it into Alien skin and photo kit but I honestly can't remember if I ended using much of the result.

This is the before and after to give you an idea of the starting point.

Dale Allyn

Douglas: I like what you have done with this image (and the other portraits). And I appreciate you posting a "before and after" version here. Thank you. IMO your vision of how to process the image is very appealing.

I took the liberty of playing with your original image (the one on the left above) and enjoyed pushing it around in Photoshop without plugins to arrive at a similar destination. I think you've done great with your process, and I appreciate your note of caution to would-be buyers of specialized software prior to buying. I'm sure that your postings will inspire many of us to experiment outside of our normal comfort zones.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting your work.

Last edited:

jecxz

Fantastic series you posted but this one is the best, IMO. The chair is hilarious. I think it would look great printed large.
Derek, I really like your ice-fishing series. Great work.
Thank you very much. These are non-cropped 39mp shots, so the resolution is there to print large.

When I saw that chair I had to hold back the excitement; I knew it would be a fantastic element in the photograph. I'll probably be putting up a small set of them online (my website) within a few days.

Kind regards,
Derek Jecxz
http://www.jecxz.com

jecxz

Douglas: I like what you have done with this image (and the other portraits). And I appreciate you posting a "before and after" version here. Thank you. IMO your vision of how to process the image is very appealing.
I second this, thank you for explaining it. Nice work.

Kind regards,
Derek

tashley

Subscriber Member

I shot this with a 110-205 Mamiya towards the longer end I think. I was using the modeling light for exposure (don't ask me why, probably couldn't get the light powered down enough). For those of you familiar with the Kodak back, you know it didn't love tungsten and skin tones. But this was just a test shot.

The post processing is mostly a processes of building up contrast with a bleach bypass filter. A number of plug ins have this, I happen to use the one in Tiffen (use to be DFT 55mm). You should be able to download a trail version, but I would look at it pretty close before buying. It has a lot of stuff, most of which I can't find a use for. You have to be careful when using them as they can screw up a file pretty quickly. I know I took it into Alien skin and photo kit but I honestly can't remember if I ended using much of the result.

This is the before and after to give you an idea of the starting point.
Thank you very much indeed, much appreciated. I usually dislike Fun with Filters but your treatment here is just great! So now I'll try to copy it!

J

jmvdigital

It's been a while since I've posted, so I thought I would share these shots. Not the typical fodder of this thread, but I like 'em. This is an ongoing marketing campaign I've been shooting for OtterBox (the case manufacturer). All are shot with my P30+, 150D lens w/ ext tube.

-J

Victor Mercado

Re: Fun with MF images, part 2: What are you shooting with that MF back?

This was taken about 6 months ago, so while now Iceland has about 20 hours of daylight and 4 hours of twilight, it had 20 hours of night and four hours of twilight when I took it.

Mamiya 7II, 43mm and provia 400F. I forgot my tripod so it was balanced on a rock!

If you have never seen the aurora, it is worth braving the arctic (or anarctic) winter some day. It is one of the most amazing things you'll ever see. What you cannot convey in a photograph is the way that it moves. It dances and ripples like a flag in the wind.
How long was your exposure?

Status
Not open for further replies.