The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimCollum

about 15-20 minutes. Haven't had anyone hassle me yet... I've offered a free 8x10 of one of the images. I keep a portfolio of my work on my iphone, and I give them a business card with my email and phone #. For me, initial contact is the hardest. I'm a better listener than talker.. and that seems to help break the ice. There's a lot of appreciation about asking to take their picture, rather than having pictures taken without asking. A number of the people are homeless, and just like being talked to as a person.

Jim,

Nice work! Question: how much time do you spend talking with these people before taking their photograph? Does anyone give you a hassel?

Kind regards,
Derek

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
One thing about MF is the captured DR. I also am liking the subtleties found in Dalsa greens:

etrump

Jack, I have to agree with you about the dalsa greens. With the kodak sensors it seems I was always having to back off the greens and even lowering the green channel to get a natural look. With the P65+ I am loving the greens, especially when the scene is somewhat less than lush pure green.

Cool images by the way, I love both of them.

Ed

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack, I *love* that junkyard shot, perfect composition and tonality!
Thanks Carsten! Not sure which junkyard shot you are referring to, the monochrome pano or the color one of the cars along the creek? The former was specifically cropped to the pano format to better utilize the natural lines of the road through the image, and I think the monochrome treatment helps zero in on the composition. I will probably work that image a little more, probably go cooler towards a more neutral tone. The latter was a more difficult shot technically, into the Sun with reflections off the water. I was actually surprised the P65+ captured the range in that single exposure as well as it did.

carstenw

Ah sorry, I wasn't very clear: I meant the monochrome shot. Really gorgeous. The others are great too, but that one stands out for me, and I do like the monochrome treatment.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Ah sorry, I wasn't very clear: I meant the monochrome shot. Really gorgeous. The others are great too, but that one stands out for me, and I do like the monochrome treatment.
I figured that was the one you meant. I am pretty impressed with this P back's ability to handle monochrome conversions, providing excellent tonal range while retaining good micro-contrast and excellent shadow detail.

fotografz

Jack, these are very important to me as I've ordered the H4D/60, and seeing the natural qualities of these Dalsa shots is reassuring.

Thanks,

Marc

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack, these are very important to me as I've ordered the H4D/60, and seeing the natural qualities of these Dalsa shots is reassuring.

Thanks,

Marc
I hear you Marc! For both of us it was a huge delta in dollars for a marginal increase in resolution. However, the files are different -- and you are going to be head over heels in love with what you can do with them, especially when it comes to monochrome. It took almost a month, but now that I've learned the files better, I'm definitely past the pain of the upgrade :D.

etrump

San Juans in Colorado, processing a few old images for gallery prints
P30+, Mamiya 645 AFDII, 55-110mm

Sorry if too big but the detail is what makes this image.

Professional

San Juans in Colorado, processing a few old images for gallery prints
P30+, Mamiya 645 AFDII, 55-110mm

Sorry if too big but the detail is what makes this image.
Incredible shot!
I always love to see that big shots but due to forums rules i must see it in smaller version, and few who post a clickable to large shots here[larger than 1200x in any direction].

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Wow, can you tell us more about those cars in the creek ? What happened ?

And, a great photo with beautiful green !
Thanks! Just a backyard of an auto wrecker, and apparently he stacks up old cars along the bank of the creek so the occasional travelers stop to take photos :)

jecxz

Ed, Thank you for posting San Juans in Colorado large, it looks great. Good work.

Kind regards,
Derek

Status
Not open for further replies.