The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlm

Workshop Member
my guess it locks on to another mating tug or barge and can adjust deck heights by racking along the tracks (there is a track on both sides.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Looks to me like LR is leaving some purple fringe in the highlights on the chrome.

Jack, where do you see the purple fringe in GMB's photos. I am struggling to see it on my laptop. I have seen it before in a few of my photos, but usually only in extreme conditions such as bright sun highlights on chrome or water droplets.

GMB, nice photos. I really like the pano. I can imagine the detail it contains.

Dale Allyn

There's quite a bit of fringing, purple and cyan (but much more purple/magenta), in the second shot (showing the 125 cubic inches emblem). Some of the others look like reflected colors, but that frame has significant fringing. It shows more on the enlarged view.

You are right Dale. I don't know how I overlooked the second photo. Some of it may be reflected color as well (similar color as the gas tank), but there is no doubt there is fringing in some places (e.g., the 125 engraving). I was looking back at other photos in this thread and also noticed in the close-up of the watch.

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Looks to me like LR is leaving some purple fringe in the highlights on the chrome.
It's best to set Defringe to "All Edges" in LR under Lens Corrections. In cases of chrome, I've found that dropping the saturation of Purple and Magenta in the HSL tab usually take care of any residual fringing without influencing the rest of the image.

David

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
You are right Dale. I don't know how I overlooked the second photo. Some of it may be reflected color as well (similar color as the gas tank), but there is no doubt there is fringing in some places (e.g., the 125 engraving). I was looking back at other photos in this thread and also noticed in the close-up of the watch.
Point #1: While you can see it in the second photo, that bike also has a purple tank so much of it could be reflections -- and you don't want to kill honest reflection colors since they add to the final image realism. However, you can also see it plainly in the first photo where the bike has a black or dark gray tank, so we know those are offending fringing and need to be dealt with.

I had overlooked that last night. Here is a corrected version. I followed David's advice. There are also a lot of reflections.

View attachment 32143
Point #2: The problem with David's method is clearly visible now. While it indeed removed most of the offending fringing, it also altered the color of the thin piece of tank showing along the top edge significantly. It was obviously purple in the first posting, and is now appearing almost gray in this redo, a direct result of desaturating magenta. Note also how it affected how the blue reflection in the pipes, probably a tank from a neighboring bike. While not important for the primary image, it would be if that were the bike's paint color for a product brochure shoot for example.

This is a great instructional example of why desaturating one color isn't a good idea, because it shows how desaturating any single color primary or secondary can have a significant effect on the overall final color accuracy. If we were shooting these for a paying motorcycle manufacturer client to use on their website or product brochures, I can assure you these would be rejected for either the purple fringing and/or the incorrect tank colors.

Here are crops of both, before up top, and your after beneath for easier direct comparison:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Desaturating is not something you want to do to control color fringing. It will affect other colors as well. If processing in C1 they do have tools for this alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.