The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Shelby Lewis

A quick shakedown of the new "503CWD" (CFV added to 503CW) in the garden did not disappoint. Nothing fancy - just trying different lenses, extension tubes, ISOs.
nice stuff :)

Which CFD? I can't get rid of my 5dii's (wedding work)... but I'm looking at several of the more "affordable" MF solutions for this fall (including the 16mp backs)... and I've seen some prints and files lately from the old 16mp CFD backs that look REALLY nice. makes me wonder about all these megapixels!

Thanks for posting (and please don't tell me it's a CFV-39 :ROTFL:)!

djonesii

Workshop Member
Some fine art style nudes .....

Dear all;

I recently got my hands on an AFDII, 80mm, 55-110 zoom, and a ZD back.

The link below takes you to my first studio shoot. The first three images are from the D300 + Tamron 28-75 2.8. I have done many of this style shoots with this kit, and know the images well.

The ADFII did a fine job of shooting, for a whole suite of reason, I tried my first shoot in a workshop setting rather than a private shoot, and that defined what I could and could not do with the lighting. Suffice it to say that I had very little to no control of the lighting in these images. The posing with respect to the lighting is all mine however.

As you will note, there are no pictures in this thread, that is because none of them would really be work safe. If you click on the link below, you will see pictures of Naked Models, if you don't want to do that, don't click on the link. If the country where you are viewing these images from frowns on the kinds of images, don't click .....

http://www.private.jonesii.net/2010_05_19_biga_ellen/index.htm

The user is Guest ( yes, that is a capital G, and it matters )
The pass is Matrix.

I will start a separate thread about my feelings of the system as well.

As usual, C&C welcome.

Dave

P. Chong

Re: Some fine art style nudes .....

doesn't seem to work Dave...

Dear all;

I recently got my hands on an AFDII, 80mm, 55-110 zoom, and a ZD back.

The link below takes you to my first studio shoot. The first three images are from the D300 + Tamron 28-75 2.8. I have done many of this style shoots with this kit, and know the images well.

The ADFII did a fine job of shooting, for a whole suite of reason, I tried my first shoot in a workshop setting rather than a private shoot, and that defined what I could and could not do with the lighting. Suffice it to say that I had very little to no control of the lighting in these images. The posing with respect to the lighting is all mine however.

As you will note, there are no pictures in this thread, that is because none of them would really be work safe. If you click on the link below, you will see pictures of Naked Models, if you don't want to do that, don't click on the link. If the country where you are viewing these images from frowns on the kinds of images, don't click .....

http://www.private.jonesii.net/2010_05_19_biga_ellen/index.htm

The user is Guest ( yes, that is a capital G, and it matters )
The pass is Matrix.

I will start a separate thread about my feelings of the system as well.

As usual, C&C welcome.

Dave

Double Negative

Not Available
nice stuff :)

Which CFD? I can't get rid of my 5dii's (wedding work)... but I'm looking at several of the more "affordable" MF solutions for this fall (including the 16mp backs)... and I've seen some prints and files lately from the old 16mp CFD backs that look REALLY nice. makes me wonder about all these megapixels!

Thanks for posting (and please don't tell me it's a CFV-39 :ROTFL:)!
Thank you! :)

It's from the first version CFV (16MP). I almost went for the CFV39 but it's still a bit pricey and I really don't need the MPs (he says now). It took me a year to bite the bullet and get one - which came up rather suddenly of late. I finally couldn't say "no." It's "only" 16MP but MAN... Reminds me of my Canon D30 - it too was "only" 3MP, but had a similar 9µ photosite. So called "fat pixels" are sweet.

S

Shelby Lewis

It's "only" 16MP but MAN... Reminds me of my Canon D30 - it too was "only" 3MP, but had a similar 9µ photosite. So called "fat pixels" are sweet.
Great to hear... funny you say that about the big pixels. There's still something special about all my old nikon d100 and canon 10D files that I think come from a similar stance. I'd love a 6mp dslr with modern sensor tech! :bugeyes:

I think your shots also appeal to the zeiss lover in me... this one, especially, has "the look"! Nice capture and color... the subject just emerges from the background so crisply... and then disappears just as nicely.

Double Negative

Not Available
Great to hear... funny you say that about the big pixels. There's still something special about all my old nikon d100 and canon 10D files that I think come from a similar stance. I'd love a 6mp dslr with modern sensor tech! :bugeyes:

I think your shots also appeal to the zeiss lover in me... this one, especially, has "the look"! Nice capture and color... the subject just emerges from the background so crisply... and then disappears just as nicely.
They say, "there's no replacement... for displacement" when talking about beefy motors. I think it applies to pixels too. :D

Heh, thanks! I'm a self-admitted Zeiss whore. I love the CF lenses as well as the ZMs. The performance and character of Zeiss glass - like you said, the transition and "pop" is unique.

No medium format for me yet. But I'm selling my D3X and should have one within the next couple weeks :)
Here are some shots I did a few weeks ago. First time doing implied nude with a model. Hope its OK to post here. Just wish I had my medium format already :(

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Woody, looks like you're enjoying the 35-90 -- I'm jealous and wish Phase had a comparable zoom! (Heck, I wouldn't mind an HTS either!)

Professional

That is nice, it is really difficult to choose between 35-90 as a new lens and the other old lens 50-110, i want that 50-110 for longer zoom and for a bit wider fstop, and because 35-90 is so expensive more than 50-110, the results will be all great from any lens.
Nice shots though, wish to have that HTS adapter.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Nice shots Woody, how do you find the 35-90mm?
I like it a lot. It's big and heavy, but it balances reasonably well so I have no trouble handholding. For me it's an ideal focal length range - it covers 70% of my needs. In terms of performance it's outstanding at all focal lengths - some people say that it's better than H's prime medium wides. I haven't reviewed my brick wall testing of it for a while but in practice it produces beautiful files with great presence, local contrast and "3-dimensionality". Processed with Phocus no vignetting, no CA, no linear distortion - basically no problem. I shoot wide open all of the time with no problem. Mechanically very solid. Bokeh is smooth in most situations (more accurately I haven't been bothered by it in any situation) but I haven't done exhaustive testing of this - good Bokeh is a real accomplishment in a lens that's this highly corrected and this complex.

I bought it in preference to the 50-110 because I'm basically a wide shooter (my next most used lens is the HC 28) and there have been reports of quality control issues with the 50-110.

For me very much worth the money. When I need to limit myself to one lens this is it.

Status
Not open for further replies.