The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I like to see about the same kind of photo made with a hasselblad, phase or whatever... if there is also such a sharpness and color ... till now i think never seen here ;)
IMO, "good" sharpness and color are relative terms, subject to the eye of the beholder. If *you* like that look, then you are in great shape! To my eyes, that particular image appears over-saturated and definitely overly specular as respects lighting (and/or processing -- I suspect the levels slider was crushed); then add me to the list of folks who find the ring pattern in the oof highlights disturbing...

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Man, there have been some great images posted here since I last visited! (I've been in the bush and out of wifi range!)

Here's one from Quebec last week - 150 mm D lens.

Those annular rings in the OOF background highlights are NOT caused by diffraction (perhaps xpixel can confirm the aperture used and the ~magnification involved to confirm that there is no diffraction).

Those rings come from the moulded aspherical surfaces in the lens' elements.
See: http://www.zeiss.com/c12567a8003b8b6f/embedtitelintern/cln_35_bokeh_en/$file/cln35_bokeh_en.pdf
Whew! The link is not exactly light reading, but thank you anyway.

KeithL

Thanks - you're right - it did and it does! You'll note the tree to the left is vertical and the camera was perfectly level. The building is tilting slightly.
Bill
I'm constantly faced with situations such as this.

The point is we are conditioned to see straight buildings and tilting tree trunks. We can accept that wildly tilting buildings are indeed tilted, but when faced with a slight tilt our conditioning makes us believe that it was the camera that was off. In this case it doesn't help that perspective of the building looks un-natural.

I'll often correct a slight tilt but accept there are those who prefer to not to. It's a very nice shot, but I couldn't live with the tilt and perspective.

PeterA

you know I think the tilt actually makes the shot something a tad more interesting than the typical landscape...a play on the eye..you know its the building when you see vertical trees and level horison - but you just
dont
want
to
believe:) it!

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
you know I think the tilt actually makes the shot something a tad more interesting than the typical landscape...a play on the eye..you know its the building when you see vertical trees and level horison - but you just
dont
want
to
believe:) it!
I am starting to lean a bit to the right myself (physically that is)
Sometimes it is best to just let things be as they are.
-bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Going back through some of my older images and found this one to rework. Original was from a Mamiya RZ67, 50mm lens and a 6 minute exposure on Fuji Provia, scanned on an Imacon. (The sand floor in this image is 'cottony' because other people were in the slot with me and continually walking through the frame as I exposed.) This is a recent rework of the original scan, converted to B&W and tweaked further in CS:

Status
Not open for further replies.