The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

P. Chong

love the tone Jack...love it in bw...can you share the camera settings?

I was also recently in Page, and there were so many people there, its a pain to shoot. In Upper Antelope, I only managed to get 2 or 3 shots without people.

Lower Antelope was better...it was much easier to get pics without anyone in it. Just for fun, the sun was low, and I shot a self portrait in shadow, and my shooting partner climbing the stairs.

Going back through some of my older images and found this one to rework. Original was from a Mamiya RZ67, 50mm lens and a 6 minute exposure on Fuji Provia, scanned on an Imacon. (The sand floor in this image is 'cottony' because other people were in the slot with me and continually walking through the frame as I exposed.) This is a recent rework of the original scan, converted to B&W and tweaked further in CS:
]

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Going back through some of my older images and found this one to rework. Original was from a Mamiya RZ67, 50mm lens and a 6 minute exposure on Fuji Provia, scanned on an Imacon. (The sand floor in this image is 'cottony' because other people were in the slot with me and continually walking through the frame as I exposed.) This is a recent rework of the original scan, converted to B&W and tweaked further in CS:

Love it, Jack!
Bill

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
love the tone Jack...love it in bw...can you share the camera settings?
Thanks for the kind words!

Camera settings were Provia film normally ISO 100, but rated here at more like ISO 12 due to reciprocity, plus I used an 81C warming filter. Final exposure was was f10 for 6 minutes.

S

SCHWARZZEIT

Thanks for the kind words!

Camera settings were Provia film normally ISO 100, but rated here at more like ISO 12 due to reciprocity, plus I used an 81C warming filter. Final exposure was was f10 for 6 minutes.
Beautiful image! At 6 minutes and f/10 it must have been pretty dark in there, especially considering that the slide film didn't blow the highlights. Not sure if it was the latest Provia 100F emulsion (RDPIII) which has excellent long exposure reciprocity with no corrections needed up to 128 seconds. But you really nailed the exposure spot on.
Any reason why you've discarded the color of that film?

-Dominique

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Dominique,

It was the old, original formula Provia from about 10 years ago, which had pretty typical slide film reciprocity. It was early in the morning, so the light coming through the roof crack was actually very soft -- and yes, Upper Antelope is very dark as you get deeper inside. There are actually a few tiny spots that fully blew in the original near the bush, but overall a very tiny portion of the entire image. Re color, I of course also have the color version as well, but simply prefer this one in B&W because of the tonality and graphic nature of the composition.

Here are a couple others in color from the same trip:

This one was a double exposure -- first exposure was around 3 minutes to capture the walls and color, then about an hour wait for the sunbeam to hit the bush and a second, "Sunny 16" exposure:

And then this one, which I also prefer in B&W -- that is sand slowly dribbling in through a crack in the desert floor above:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I had a request for a different B&W from Monument Valley for a print so I went back to a P30+ shot I did and reprocessed it in B&W

ceh

Guy :"I had a request for a different B&W from Monument Valley for a print so I went back to a P30+ shot I did and reprocessed it in B&W"

..wonderful image:clap:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.