The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Here is my final work-up of "Mono Lake Squall" from the workshop. First in color:

And in B&W:

I'm still conflicted over which I prefer, but leaning toward the B&W...

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Jack,
That is a tough image in a number of ways. I took a similar scene and in hindsight, wish I had exposed for the bright area to the right.
There is some lovely detail in the distant mountains there that deserve burning in a bit if you can. Then IMO it looks best in B&W since the blues in the distant perspective are a bit much for me and obscure the "presence" of the scene.
-bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Bob,

FWIW I did expose for the bright sky to the right, so nothing is blown and there is a bunch of detail in that area in this image --- you just need to view it in a larger print to see it! Native file size on this will print to 22x40 -- I used 5 vertical frames and cropped down to this final 16:9 aspect ratio from there. I'm thinking I'll offer a 14x22 version in the Gallery section -- printing both versions up now to see which looks best in print...

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Ok call me a contrarian, but I like the color version the best Jack. That light area to the right is your eye's "landing zone" led right in by the fabulous yellow zones that walk you right into it. I like the read better as I believe the color helps this image myself. I would probably burn in a bit more on the left and your "squall line" for a bit more contrast there. Great shot Jack!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Chuck, as it turns out, I agree with you LOL!

I just finished printing both up and I have to say they both look great. However, the range of hues and tones in the color version is impressive and adds quite a bit to the print image over the B&W version -- plus you can see the Fall yellow and orange colors in the tiny aspens in the distance. Color it is!

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
I'll also go with the color version (gorgeous either way, though). Maybe it's from living in a region of the country where it seems like it's overcast and denuded for six months of a year, but you learn to appreciate how others are able to bring out the subtle variations of color in the various environments around them. This is one of those shots. It so much more interesting to me than seeing another cliche long-exposure shot of a stream or waterfall.

BlasR

Ok call me a contrarian, but I like the color version the best Jack. That light area to the right is your eye's "landing zone" led right in by the fabulous yellow zones that walk you right into it. I like the read better as I believe the color helps this image myself. I would probably burn in a bit more on the left and your "squall line" for a bit more contrast there. Great shot Jack!

Me too I love the color one. Even so I always like B&W I go with the color, its just beautiful.

BlasR:bugeyes:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Kurt, Blas and Christopher, thank you for the feedback!

Ceh, that was the color in the sky, give or take a few points of WB. There were even some clouds that looked almost green while others looked yellowish brown, along with the gray and blue. It was a pretty weird sky. The water in the lake was reflecting a lot of different hues as well...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Ed!

Is that an open-air chapel? Very cool setting and architecture, and very well photographed!

etrump

Thanks Ed!

Is that an open-air chapel? Very cool setting and architecture, and very well photographed!
Thank you Jack.

It is a glass chapel in Arkansas designed organically by Fay Jones who studied under Frank Lloyd Wright. We have two here in Benton County in similar settings. At first glance you would think they were the same design but they are surprisingly different.

darr

Here is my final work-up of "Mono Lake Squall" from the workshop. First in color:

And in B&W:

I'm still conflicted over which I prefer, but leaning toward the B&W...
They are both very beautiful to my eyes! :thumbs: Tough call for sure!

Some more fall color

I have been living in Florida since 2000, and I sure do miss all the beautiful fall colors I grew up with.
Thanks Guy for reminding me what I am missing! Stunning work!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Darr!

A few more colors, this time Aspens which we rarely get to see with this much red:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thanks Darr, keep going into this file folder from the workshop and finding more. Living in AZ. I NEVER see these fall changes unless I travel North. So right there with you on this

Status
Not open for further replies.