The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
with the recent discussion on over-sharpening...do you guys think I oversharpened the pic?
Hi Peter,

This looks fine to me. And it's a good example for me to elaborate on re artistic tastes.

I think there is a line between artistic choice and technical error. Unfortunately it is not a crisp, well-defined line, but rather a fuzzy zone -- and as artists, we get to choose where we mark the distinction.

So if I were to critique your above image in that light, I would say for my tastes you are near and perhaps just beyond the upper edge of appropriate sharpening. And the downside of that (again just for me) is that it tends to impart a more "direct digital" look to the final image. Certainly not offensive at this level though, just close. One thing that might help is consider a slight blur mask leaving the central 2/3rds (tree trunk) in tact and just dusting off at the outer edges, like with a heavily feathered transition 2 or 3 pixel Gaussian blur.

Cheers,

P. Chong

Hi Peter,

This looks fine to me. And it's a good example for me to elaborate on re artistic tastes.

I think there is a line between artistic choice and technical error. Unfortunately it is not a crisp, well-defined line, but rather a fuzzy zone -- and as artists, we get to choose where we mark the distinction.

So if I were to critique your above image in that light, I would say for my tastes you are near and perhaps just beyond the upper edge of appropriate sharpening. And the downside of that (again just for me) is that it tends to impart a more "direct digital" look to the final image. Certainly not offensive at this level though, just close. One thing that might help is consider a slight blur mask leaving the central 2/3rds (tree trunk) in tact and just dusting off at the outer edges, like with a heavily feathered transition 2 or 3 pixel Gaussian blur.

Cheers,
Thanks Jack...I thought I had slightly oversharpened...hence my question.

steflaurent974

One from today : a little walk in the brand new Reunion National Park (wich has became a UNESCO heritage this year).

This is the tropical primary forest of the island, at 1700m altitude. on this image you can see an endemic tree the Tamarin, wich always show torn and strange shape : when the mist come you feel like in the magic forest of FANGORN (..Lord of the Ring)

Shot with the ALPA 12SWA SK 24mm apodigitar and the P25+.

Processed in capture one 6 using the Sepia preset.

I had lowered the sharpening to the minimum, because of the complexity of the subject ; this is an important point, I find sharpening annoying in images with complex paterns.

And for those of you who are curious and understand french (unfortunately the website is brand new and there is no english mirror now):

http://www.reunion-parcnational.fr/

steflaurent974

Thank you Jack. What kind of mat paper would you use for this kind of photo ? Personnaly I use to print on EPSON TRADITIONNAL PAPER but i'm looking for something matter, maybe a little "rougher", or "raw"...

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thank you Jack. What kind of mat paper would you use for this kind of photo ? Personnaly I use to print on EPSON TRADITIONNAL PAPER but i'm looking for something matter, maybe a little "rougher", or "raw"...
I don't use mat papers much any more, but one of my traditional favorites was Hanemuhle Photo Rag. I also liked Epson Ultrasmooth Fine Art, it's surface is anything but "rough" and it's warmth was almost an artistic statement in itself though. If I were going to print B&W on mat paper today, I would definitely take a look at the newest Hot Press and Cold Press options from Epson -- I have heard great things about them.

steflaurent974

ALPA 12SWA SK 24mm ApoDigitar F11

Jack, thanks for the advice, I haven't heard of these new EPSON paper I will give these a try for sure.

By the way, just heard our Volcano,n the Piton de la Fournaise has just begun an eruption : I'll try to get some shot today !!! So excited.

Last edited:

jlm

Workshop Member
Peter: I must have just missed you in Firenze; i was there from last Sunday through Friday bumping around with my M8. lots of caffe and rain. Loved the Ufizzi and Palazzo Vecchio, also Cappelle Maria Novella

PeterL

Went out shooting with Paul Slotboom from Optechs Digital in Seattle last week. I'm getting closer to making the jump to MF. Paul and Ted from Optechs have been absolutely stellar to work with, extremely knowledgable and helpful and also really patient with me and my stupid questions. Highly recommended :thumbs:.

This shot it with the Alpa 12TC, Rodenstock Apo Sironar Digital 35mm/f4.5 (also know as the Alpa Apo Alpar), and P25. A pretty liberal crop and use of the new Keystone correction in C1 6.0. Also, split tone (BlueRed 1), a bit of contrast and sharpness falloff correction.

Cheers, -Peter

P. Chong

Peter: I must have just missed you in Firenze; i was there from last Sunday through Friday bumping around with my M8. lots of caffe and rain. Loved the Ufizzi and Palazzo Vecchio, also Cappelle Maria Novella
Yes, just about...I was there only on Friday 26. I had a client shoot in Milan on Sat 27, and left for Germany on 28.

Terry

It was horribly foggy most of the day but I decided late afternoon to see what was doing over towards the bridge. When I got over to Fort Point the light looked really cool so I decided to go up top and shoot from there. In the 2 minutes it took to drive up the hill I was completely fogged in. So, I went down below again. It didn't quite work out. But as I was waiting for the fog to lift I turned around and there was this amazing glow downtown. Finally as the sun had already gone down and the fog just getting thicker I gave up....about 1/2 mile down the road as I looked out the rear view mirror I said "holy s**t"! No time to really set back up but here is my short little outing.

(Yes the light was really pinkish as the fog was low and above the clouds had gone pink)

Lloyd

It was horribly foggy most of the day but I decided late afternoon to see what was doing over towards the bridge. When I got over to Fort Point the light looked really cool so I decided to go up top and shoot from there. In the 2 minutes it took to drive up the hill I was completely fogged in. So, I went down below again. It didn't quite work out. But as I was waiting for the fog to lift I turned around and there was this amazing glow downtown. Finally as the sun had already gone down and the fog just getting thicker I gave up....about 1/2 mile down the road as I looked out the rear view mirror I said "holy s**t"! No time to really set back up but here is my short little outing.
Gorgeous! Great shots, Terry.:salute:

Status
Not open for further replies.