The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxKißler

Thanks for your kind words Jack and Sarnia. Regarding the portrait shot I'm still unsure whether my screen's settings are correctly adjusted. Each time I print an imag in BW it appears to become lighter than intended while printing in colour matches perfectly...

mediumcool

Yesterday I learned that even the oddest of circumstances may result in interesting images. For instance this one. I received and installed an acetat overlay with crop lines for my zd back. So I wanted to check whether those crop lines are accurate and did a few tethered shots of my father while he was looking at the screen.

Mamiya AF 80mm - 1/60s - f 2,8 - ISO 400

Max
Max, I really like the tonality of this (especially the glowing highlights with detail in them—your dad looks around the same age as me, and therefore shows signs of life lived!).

I would additionally try to pull a bit more detail out of the coat, though. Big areas of black always have me peering into the shadows ... BTW, what are you using to process your files?

Interesting that the ZD does 400 so well here (it has a bad rep for high sensitivities), but I did note some vertical patterning in the grey background (though not as bad as I got from my Pentax K10 at 1600).

Nearly bought a ZD back several times until I got my Aptus 22, which I haven’t tried over 200 — C1 does a good job of noise smoothing at that sensitivity.

Still looking for a ZD though, thinking it would be good for IR work with the user-removeable cutoff filter.

Ian G.

MaxKißler

Hello Ian,

I am using Lightroom 3 to process my files. I really like LR exept for its file management system which I don't find too useful (yet)... However this particular image was shot as jpeg, only for the sake of testing those crop lines I mentioned. I avoid shooting jpeg normally. Then I used PS to convert it to black & white. I managed to reduce noise a little bit by adjusting the bw intensities for each "colour channel" (don't know the right term). In his coat however, that's where the real noise lurks, no detail just noise. Shouldn't the ISO 400 performance on both the ZD Back and Aptus 22 be the same since they're utilizing the same sensor?

Regarding IR: I tried it once but somhow didn't manage to focus on infinity. It just didn't work. I mean, I manually focussed on infinity but the images weren't sharp at all. Especially when using wider apertures. I had to use f 22 and focus on infinity to get mostly sharp results... Does anybody have an explanation for this?

mediumcool

Hello Ian,
I am using Lightroom 3 to process my files. I really like LR exept for its file management system which I don't find too useful (yet)... However this particular image was shot as jpeg, only for the sake of testing those crop lines I mentioned. I avoid shooting jpeg normally.
Understood. Only .MOS format is available on the Aptus; wonder what sort of NR, if any, the ZD is doing to the JPEG? BTW, my etched screen for the Mamiya/A22 is inaccurate—I have to check the LCD after shooting when my composition is tightly cropped. Bummer.

Have you tried doing *all* NR in Lightroom? Supposed to be pretty good these days. How big is the out-of-camera JPEG? If not too large, I would like to have a look at it in C1.

Then I used PS to convert it to black & white. I managed to reduce noise a little bit by adjusting the bw intensities for each "colour channel" (don't know the right term). In his coat however, that's where the real noise lurks, no detail just noise.
Always in the darker areas—I should have remembered that.

Shouldn't the ISO 400 performance on both the ZD Back and Aptus 22 be the same since they're utilizing the same sensor?
The Aptus is somewhat newer I think and may have better processing for noise. Hard to comparison-test, though. Does the Mamiya have a fan for cooling?

Regarding IR: I tried it once but somhow didn't manage to focus on infinity. It just didn't work. I mean, I manually focussed on infinity but the images weren't sharp at all. Especially when using wider apertures. I had to use f 22 and focus on infinity to get mostly sharp results... Does anybody have an explanation for this?
Did you adjust for IR when focusing the lens? ie first focus through the viewfinder, then adjust the distance using the red mark on the lens barrel)?

You probably need to have a filter in the back, not just remove the IR cutoff, to maintain the same optical path; focus may well be affected. Mamiya made a IR filter called YD401 which would be nice to find at a good price.

HTH

Last edited:

mediumcool

The IR Photo Filter YD401 (which replaces the standard IR Cut Filter) is a clear filter that allows the transmission of infrared light as well as visible light rays. Unlike specialized IR cameras or modified systems, the Mamiya ZD Digital Back can be transformed from standard digital to IR digital, simply by changing the user-replaceable filters.

Photographers will need to add an Infrared filter (89B or 87) on the front of the lens to produce Infrared images with dramatic dark skies, glowing greens and "magical" skin tones.

Christopher

Some recent work from last week. Just two quick images. More will come when I finished it all.

P65 - 40HR - Rm3D - two image stitch

P65 - 32HR - Rm3D - two image stitch

MaxKißler

Have you tried doing *all* NR in Lightroom? Supposed to be pretty good these days. How big is the out-of-camera JPEG? If not too large, I would like to have a look at it in C1.
Lightrooms noise reduction capabilities are incredible! It handles colour noise extremely well. Even if you adjust that control bar to a 100% you don't seem to lose any detail at all. JPEGs are about 9mb. Just let me know if you want some.. ;)

The Aptus is somewhat newer I think and may have better processing for noise. Hard to comparison-test, though. Does the Mamiya have a fan for cooling?
The ZD Back doesn't have a fan so it's pretty light. I like shooting handhelt in mirror up mode which is great on the Phase One.

Did you adjust for IR when focusing the lens? ie first focus through the viewfinder, then adjust the distance using the red mark on the lens barrel)?
I used the scale on the lens barrel to focus (as shown on your 50mm shift lens) and then fired from the hip.

You probably need to have a filter in the back, not just remove the IR cutoff, to maintain the same optical path; focus may well be affected. Mamiya made a IR filter called YD401 which would be nice to find at a good price.
I guess you're right on this. As you said, the missing filter seems to affect the optical path somehow. So maybe a piece of glass would work aswell? Since one needs an IR filter anyway...

Take care

S

Shelby Lewis

It’s a quote from the link. “Magical” is not a word that I would use in any context.
Yeah... I got the sarcasm in your original reply. I truly though it was funny. "Magical" IR skintones! I can just imagine reading that text from a late 1970s Hoya magazine add.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Bob,

Excellent energetic pose, so kudos on the equally excellent timing! Lighting and skin-tones are spot on too. Dancers are tough to photograph well, congrats on a job well done!

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Bob,

Excellent energetic pose, so kudos on the equally excellent timing! Lighting and skin-tones are spot on too. Dancers are tough to photograph well, congrats on a job well done!
Thanks Jack,
It was a refreshing change from essentially static targets :ROTFL:
-bob

S

skrystos

Hello everyone :) here is something from for the good beginning :)

Mamiya RZ67 PRO II + 110mm f2.8 @ f5.6 Kodak portra 160nc

T

terroll

Pentax 645d w/ P645 A 75mm f2.8 @ f16 & 0.6 sec
Window light w/ fill flash

T

the scanner-guy

Hi, it's my first post here in this great thread.

Scanner-Camera, Schneider Beta-Variogon 75-150 @ 75 - f/8
Captured at 1200dpi-24bit color. reduced to 600dpi B/W in CS5, cropped, and color graded to sepia-look.

It was meant as a test shot, and had a lot of dust on the sensor which can be seen in full-res as some strange horizontal lines and stripes.

dick

From a shoot at the Walnut Hill School for the Arts

-bob
Very nice Bob... my wife has a ballet/tap and gymnastics school, so I hope to be doing some of this type of photography - I have taken shots for submission for application for admission to ballet schools, but I do not have permission to post them.

Do you use shutter-beams for this type of work?

Status
Not open for further replies.