The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

baudolino

Here are two images shot on the lovely old medium, film. Rollei 2.8 FX. Location is the old quarter of Al Balad in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, March 2010.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thank you Viablex!

Just for fun, I grabbed this one just after the one above, a repost from the trips thread: The first afternoon we had a lone snow storm cloud come right up the center of the canyon and start dumping its load while we were waiting for sunset. It was large so it did not appear as one cloud, but rather a small storm unless you viewed the entire length of it. The Sun was low enough to hit underneath it and gave us the changing side-light view, so I decided it might be a fun pano to try and grabbed it quickly. It is 7 frames at 55mm covering almost 180 degrees of view from the West end of the South Rim. This is 2000 pixels wide here, but the original would print 3 feet tall by 15 feet wide at 240 PPI with intricate detail. Not the greatest image, and I'd certainly need to work it more before printing it, but an interesting view we can't usually encompass with our normal vision:

MaxKißler

Wooow, really impressive image Jack! BTW I love your Sutro Baths...

Thanks to this forum my interest in shooting landscapes increased a lot and I realised how difficult this can be. There's just soo much to pay attention to...

MaxKißler

I am much more confident shooting people. Recently a friend of mine rented a studio so I got the chance to fool around a bit. This is a guy I just met there.

etrump

PS: Irony of ironies, that is arguably the worst lens technically in my entire MF stable, yet it continually produces some of my best images! :ROTFL:
Jack, I have that same lens and cannot bring myself to sell it. It is a great focal length for full frame MF. A tad soft compared to the 75-150 but before the cambo it was my go to lens.

I decided I would hold on to it until (if ever) they get the 35-90 digital zoom in production. :deadhorse:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thank you Max!

I decided I would hold on to it until (if ever) they get the 35-90 digital zoom in production. :deadhorse:
Exactly -- and even then, I may keep the old 55-110 just because! I know, :loco:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Still working images . This may take until next week have a couple gigs to shoot but I kind of like this one shot with the 150 mm.

S

Shelby Lewis

Jack and Guy... truly fantastic work. Loving the light quality in the workshop images. I've got my first visit to the GC this coming July... VERY excited.

One from the other night:

Cheers!
Shelby

T

tetsrfun

Jack and Guy... truly fantastic work. Loving the light quality in the workshop images. I've got my first visit to the GC this coming July... VERY excited.

One from the other night:

Cheers!
Shelby
I am enjoying seeing your artistry expressed with the new "toys".

Steve

S

Shelby Lewis

I grabbed this shot with the 105-210 at around 170. It's amazing how well these old Mamiya "junker" lenses work:

You know... what I really enjoy about these images, Jack, is that although they have a clarity, resolution, and depth to them that you only get with MF, you still didn't artificially crank up the contrast a ton and destroy the turbidity (dustiness, if you will) of the air.

The way the light has filtered through the air makes a huge difference on these... it gives them a real-ness; a bit more "life". The gradual lowering of zone placement as you get closer to the foreground also helps (I know you "helped" this a bit), but not near as much to my eye as the lessening of contrast as the distance-from-camera increases. It's as is if that pale blue sky is gradually swallowing the rock formations as one peers further into the distance.

Lovely.
:thumbs:

Last edited:

etrump

You know... what I really enjoy about these images, Jack, is that although they have a clarity, resolution, and depth to them that you only get with MF, you still didn't artificially crank up the contrast a ton and destroy the turbidity (dustiness, if you will) of the air.

The way the light has filtered through the air makes a huge difference on these... it gives them a real-ness; a bit more "life". The gradual lowering of zone placement as you get closer to the foreground also helps (I know you "helped" this a bit), but not near as much to my eye as the lessening of contrast as the distance-from-camera increases. It's as is if that pale blue sky is gradually swallowing the rock formations as one peers further into the distance.

Lovely.
Ditto 100%! I think that is what gives Jack's (and Guy's) images such presence.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Lovely.
Ditto 100%! I think that is what gives Jack's (and Guy's) images such presence.

Thanks Shelby and Ed! We try to spend a fair bit of our time teaching how to process to specifically avoid over-cooking images. We believe a softer, natural look is usually best.

S

Shelby Lewis

I really like this one and few more from previous posts :thumbs:
It is not so many MF wildlife photographer :)

/Ralf
Thanks Ralf. I'm not a wildlife photographer, per se... but the campus lakes here at LSU (Baton Rouge, LA) have a lot of birds that are pretty used to people. That little guy just seemed to sit there and pose for me!:D

Thanks again,
Shelby

Status
Not open for further replies.