The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

2jbourret

Nothing to compare with the image above, but my own first post here:
Aspen Grove, after a recent storm. Two shot (shift) stitch w/ a P30 on a Cambo WDS, with 47XL at f11.5

Jamie

etrump

Great Shot as usual Ed. What time of the year was it taken? My guess is early May.

Mason.
Mason,

This was taken the last week of May. The next morning it snowed but warmed up to 35 once the sun came up. Summer comes slowly there.

Ed

etrump

Nothing to compare with the image above, but my own first post here:
Aspen Grove, after a recent storm. Two shot (shift) stitch w/ a P30 on a Cambo WDS, with 47XL at f11.5

Jamie
Interesting to see you using a P30 with that kit. Any problems using shifts?

Lovely image, I like the tonalities and would love to see the aspen detail.

2jbourret

Ed, thanks. I'm biding my time till I can move to a more suitable back, and in the meanwhile minimizing shifts to about 7mm. LCC's seem to be able to handle that w/ the 47. I've just started using the Cambo, and am still adjusting to the lack of DOF (no T/S mount lenses yet), but I sure love the detail resolution. I'll see if I can post a crop from the image. It has made a really lovely print at 50" wide.

Jamie

Don Libby

Sandy & I returned to Yosemite for the 3rd year now each time in February. The weather was great - it snowed or rained almost everyday we were there.

We no sooner returned home and jumped right into having the studio flooring redone and somewhere in the mist ended up replacing our jeep - all in all a very hectic last 2-weeks. The studio is done, all the equipment has been returned to their proper places and I can now begin working on images from Yosemite and Death Valley. Just a side not - we encountered near blizzard conditions at the Race Track which made for some unusual images.

This image is the result of a 2-shot vertical using the Cambo WRS, Schneider 72mm, P45+ and of course the Cube. I've come to realize that while Yosemite looks great in both color and B&W I prefer B&W.

This one will print 40x30.

Don

Don Libby

Interesting to see you using a P30 with that kit. Any problems using shifts?

Lovely image, I like the tonalities and would love to see the aspen detail.

I'm in agreement with Ed. Great tones and detail; nice to see someone working "outside the box" with a tech camera.

2jbourret

I'm in agreement with Ed. Great tones and detail; nice to see someone working "outside the box" with a tech camera.
Don, thank you.
Beautiful image - makes me want to get back to Yosemite.

As for "out of the box" - I parked the box, got out, set up, shot my frames, then got back in and drove the 'box' away. Although, I'll admit, I'd set up this shot a few times before I got the weather and light to cooperate. First try, too many snowflakes floating around. Second try, blue sky, too contrasty. Third try I got what I wanted. We don't always get that many chances.

Here's something from the blue sky day (Feb. 20):

gogopix

Subscriber
That's how it goes, you sacrifice resolution for image quality. :ROTFL:
Dear Ed

Really great use of light! Is this one image, cropped or a pano? From the crops, implies, with sensor + that the original is half the resolution (in 1 dimension) of the P65+. At ISO 400, 5.6 and 1/100 I assume you were in a much dimmer light than it appears here.

Regardless, you captured a very interesting shot!!!

best regards
Victor

S

Shelby Lewis

Nice tones on the flower shot, Mark.

Ed, I obviously love your work, and that pano is super fun to look at. Lovely color.

Jamie... welcome. I agree that the tones in your first pic post are beautiful. Congrats.

Don, that's a pretty dramatic view and treatment. Intriguing for sure.

Here's a "grab" shot that I took while shooting the cello player's session the other night. We were waiting for the sun to go down and I turned and snapped this frame while the light was pretty nice. Nothing compelling, just that the tones were kind of pretty.

Cheers!
Shelby

etrump

Dear Ed

Really great use of light! Is this one image, cropped or a pano? From the crops, implies, with sensor + that the original is half the resolution (in 1 dimension) of the P65+. At ISO 400, 5.6 and 1/100 I assume you were in a much dimmer light than it appears here.

Regardless, you captured a very interesting shot!!!

best regards
Victor
Thank you Victor. This is a stitch of six sensor+ exposures processed with 200% scaling in C1. The net when stitched is just shy of 28,000 pixels wide.

(I need to test the difference between 100%, scaling 200% in C1 or resizing with Perfect Resize to see which gives me the best look. Probably only a nickels difference between the three. :confused:)

I was using the 300mm so I wanted to keep shutter speeds at 1/100 or faster and the sun was about to set. No saturation but I did up contrast and clarity.

Here is the last shot of the day taken ISO 1600 which would have been worthless without sensor+. The colors were incredible by this time and considering I shot this with the 300mm I am very impressed with the detail. If you notice, there is a wind farm in the upper left at least 60 miles from my location.

etrump

Exceptionally well seen and executed Shelby.

Wow, that is gorgeous and insanely sharp! Assuming I know where that is, were you east or west of 95?
Thank you Bill. Not sure about the highway but this was shot from the first mckinley viewpoint on the bus tour in Denali.

etrump

I agree, Steve. That kind of work, especially with my family, is something dear to my heart and really flows pretty naturally for me. Most of my past work in portraiture/weddings has been lifestyle oriented and/or a bit "loose" stylistically...

Can you tell I'm really enjoying, but really struggling with this slower working method? :D

One more version... a more traditional b/w treatment of the shot above. Trying to retain skin texture as much as possible. Still not much I can due with the overly glopped-on mascara without spending hours reconstructing eyelashes. This is starting to get closer to my typical processing "look", i believe.

Cheers!
Shelby
Shelby, I like the look of this image much better than the previous version. The tonality is very pleasing and DOF is wonderful. It works nicely to draw my attention to her eyes (makeup not withstanding :)).

Another thing I am impressed with is the perfect placement of the sax. It sits perfectly in the depth of field adding a whole other dimension. That said, while the tighter crop improves the image it puts the sax compositionally out of the mix. I'm wishing it was just slightly further into the composition.

All in all a great look and the b&w processing is a real bonus.
:thumbs:

Ed

D

Deleted member 7792

Here is the last shot of the day taken ISO 1600 which would have been worthless without sensor+. The colors were incredible by this time and considering I shot this with the 300mm I am very impressed with the detail. If you notice, there is a wind farm in the upper left at least 60 miles from my location.

Ed,
I love this image. The colors and detail are stunning. My only critique would be to crop the top 20-25% of the image, concentrating the viewer's attention on the rolling landscape and exceptional colors of the bottom 75%. This is a region of the country that I've seen photographed often, but few images match this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.