The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I know what do you mean, but i really don't understand why someone use a digital camera to have a film-like result?!!! i have film cameras and digitals, if i want to shoot digital i use digital and never worry how the shots look, and when i use film also i don't worry how the shots look, i can have digital look taken with film pure, and i can do film like with digital camera, at the end i feel if i have to think about the look then i will never feel satisfied, with film i will find issues and with digital i will find issues as well, Bryan our Phase One dealer said that why and what are people talking about "film like"?!!! Honestly speaking, i didn't see any shots taken from a digital camera whatever it is and it was "film-like" look.
Maybe film like was a bad choice of words. What I am looking for is maybe better said as a softer graduation of tones across the image than a more crunchy look.

Guy Mancuso

Pre Dawn Sand dune image shot with the P40+ with my new 110mm LS lens. Which I sold my 150 2.8 D for it and I am really liking the new 110mm a lot. So in the end maybe a good choice for me. I do want the new 240 LS lens coming.

Professional

Maybe film like was a bad choice of words. What I am looking for is maybe better said as a softer graduation of tones across the image than a more crunchy look.
OK, this description is better for me, yes, i see some like to have that softer or smoother tones than crunchy as you said, well done then!!!

Professional

Pre Dawn Sand dune image shot with the P40+ with my new 110mm LS lens. Which I sold my 150 2.8 D for it and I am really liking the new 110mm a lot. So in the end maybe a good choice for me. I do want the new 240 LS lens coming.

Fantastic shot, it is making me fresh imagining the time of the shot, like it.

Guy Mancuso

OK, this description is better for me, yes, i see some like to have that softer or smoother tones than crunchy as you said, well done then!!!
As MF shooters as a lot of us are , taking advantage of that DR horsepower that is sitting in our tanks is what we should be exploiting . I just love the overall image quality coming out of these systems.

Professional

Thanks Tareg. Here is another 110mm shot . Might just use this one for a background for new business cards. LOL
Another cracking shot!!!!

As MF shooters as a lot of us are , taking advantage of that DR horsepower that is sitting in our tanks is what we should be exploiting . I just love the overall image quality coming out of these systems.
I agree, in fact every time i shoot with MF and look at files i got blown away of the quality, so this opening more levels for me to use MF over smaller formats, the color and DR is way better rendered with MF, i didn't believe that until i tried by myself, so i couldn't agree more with you, keep up your decent work.

Professional

Too bad i am using Mac Mini and no Mac Pro yet, on my Mac Mini i have 3 accounts, one was my main until it was corrupted and then fixed again, the store installed another account for me, so that second one became my main system, but the problem i don't know why my second system got many errors, the main error that bugging me a lot is that Phocus is always terminated even before it is opened, so i have to go to the first old OSX to open Phocus, i really don't know what happened, but anyone here faced a problem with Phocus to be closed or terminated before it log in the program? Is there any fix for that? I installed different version from 2.5 up to 2.6 and all have the same problem, even i installed Phocus Quick and same problem, i didn't test all the programs/applications to see if i have same problem with others, but i really care about my Phocus to work again fine on my second main OSX[account] than logoff always to my first OSX [another account].

Professional

LOL not sure which one I like better too. Which i guess is a good thing . This was with a 300mm in high wind. Got lucky
Noooooo, i like this more, will not see it is better, but the gradient of the mountains here is finer than the first one, i love it, too bad i had similar shots but done on my Canon DSLR, hope one day i go there again to shoot with MF, and i will tell you that i prefer sunset shots over the sunrise.

Guy Mancuso

Tareg sounds like your system just needs a fresh install and reload. I would back everything up on a external than reload than migrate off that and get back to one account. Phocus and other programs maybe having issues with the multiple accounts. BTW my main computer is a MacBook Pro. Okay it is the quad core and loaded with two SSD drives but I am a throttle junky. LOL

The new quad cores are very good now at raw processing.

Guy Mancuso

Posting this more for some folks wanted to see the new 35mm D lens from Phase and thought this maybe a good example of it. Shot at F11

Professional

Tareg sounds like your system just needs a fresh install and reload. I would back everything up on a external than reload than migrate off that and get back to one account. Phocus and other programs maybe having issues with the multiple accounts. BTW my main computer is a MacBook Pro. Okay it is the quad core and loaded with two SSD drives but I am a throttle junky. LOL

The new quad cores are very good now at raw processing.
I really don't want to backup and re-install things again, in fact Phocus was working perfectly on my second account until i don't know why it crashed suddenly and don't open, I was hoping if i can remove it completely from my system and reinstall Phocus again, i can't be sure that this problem not gonna happen again.
I also use Mac Book Pro [17" and 13"], both are working great for me, but i keep my Mac Mini as my main workflow computer until i can buy a Mac Pro, all my Mac running under Core2Due, and only my MBP 13" has 2GB RAM, the other 2 has 4GB, sufficient for most things, didn't plan to upgrade both as i want to get Mac Pro once with high RAM and never look back, and i will make that Mac Pro when i get it as my main computer with necessary applications i need.

Professional

Posting this more for some folks wanted to see the new 35mm D lens from Phase and thought this maybe a good example of it. Shot at F11
Good shot!

I really don't know if 28mm is better to use for landscape over 35mm, i see many prefer 35mm over 28mm, for me, i am very happy with my 28mm and i never feel i want to go wider, also i don't think i want to have longer than 28mm such as 35mm or 50mm, but i know sometimes there are areas where 35mm suit better than 28mm, just i am waiting to add 35-90 lens then i will have that both focal length on wide side.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
A few days in Death Valley with a couple of friends. Ran into Guy and he said I should check out Devil's Golf Course. Haven't ever shot here before, here's one I sort of like. DF/p65+ with 28mm

Status
Not open for further replies.