The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

baxter

Stripe

I've seen this wonderful boulder with the stripe running through it many times, but not featured it in any pictures.

This shot involved some precarious tripod work in order to place the camera where I wanted. Then make a number of exposures so that I could focus stitch.

The Arca-Swiss P1 head is fantastic, but doesn't tilt very far. Thus I had to have the tripod at an unstable angle, 45 deg or so and force it against the rocks throughout the refocus, expose process.... lots of muttering too, probably.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Thanks for all the kind words. I enjoy these type of images, glad to know others do as well.

Wayne,

I love all of the seascape images. Each is unique and very serene. Was hyperfocal focusing sufficient to achieve the sharpness in the last image? Or did you have to use focus stacking? The sharpness of the rocks coupled with the softness of the sea make for an interesting contrast in textures.
Joe
When shooting these type of images sharpness isn't really something I'm going for, so I opt for small apertures for depth of field rather than other techniques. In the image you mentioned, the "sharpness" in the foreground is probably more an artifact of downrezzing ... in the original image there is some softness there, and in fact there is moving water throughout the plant growth on the rocks. It actually looks much better printed than the web jpeg. (at least I like the effect)

The diffraction from such small f/stops also works like a soft focus filter and actually enhances the image (imho). Personally I've found that f/22 and f/32 are often more usable than one might think, as sufficient detail can be pulled back in with some simple sharpening to overcome some of the diffraction. certainly when striving for ultrasharp detail in images such as those recently posted by Guy from the Racetrack in Death Valley focus stacking is a better option.

djonesii

Workshop Member
2 nudes ZD/D3X

I had a chance to get a D3X and a ZD with a AFD II into the studio at the same time. The lighting is the same, the camera systems are clearly different. The Nikon has the new 85 1.8G lens, and the Mamiya, the old 150mm. Both were shot at base ISO, and F9. While this could give some DOF differences, I don't think it matters in this case. The crops are about the same size in pixels, near enough to the same zoom level for me. Same for the full size images. The Nikon images were processed in LR3, and the ZD in C1 v 6. I tried to get the B&W conversion about the same. To me, the ZD holds it's own against the Nikon in these images, and I like the tonal range in the ZD ones a bit better. In round numbers, the ZD kit is 1/2 the price. However, it does lock up occasionally where the Nikon never does! The high iso performance is a bit different too.

Lets see if I can serve them from my site rather than drop box.....

ZD

D3X

The following are links to nude images ...... please don't click on them if your boss will be unhappy, or if they will offend you.

ZD
http://www.private.jonesii.net/2011_04_d3x-zd%20tests/MMFC6102.jpg

Nikon D3X
http://www.private.jonesii.net/2011_04_d3x-zd%20tests/DSC_0660.jpg

Lloyd

Very interesting comparisons Dave. Thanks for sharing.

I like the way both handle the skin, but the ZD seems to hold a little more detail in the shadow areas. The D3x shadows seem very blocked up by comparison.

djonesii

Workshop Member

I like the way both handle the skin, but the ZD seems to hold a little more detail in the shadow areas. The D3x shadows seem very blocked up by comparison.
On re-reading, the ZD was not at Base ISO which is 50, but 100.

I tend to agree with that. I got the ZD at first due to price vs IQ, but as I have used it more against my D300, D7000 and the very brief comparison with the D3X, I find that I much prefer the results of the MFDB. It is not absolute image quality, but rather image character that matter to me. The shadows is one place, and the tones the other. The ZD does smoke the D300 on IQ, and easily beats the D7000, harder to say at the D3X though.

If price performance were the only issue, not my desire to get toys, the D7000 would be the hands down winner, closely followed by the D300.

I'm not a working pro, so all those pesky ROI issues really don't matter to me.

As the tag line says "Abandon all hope"

Dave

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member

Hard to read this into the comparison, as the processing of the two files is starkly different. Either the D3x was grossly underexposed, or more likely the files just weren't processed as well.

Also seems like this should be in its own thread ... doesn't really seem to belong in this thread.

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Graham, very, very nice. I know this is along the Columbia River Gorge; what is the name of the creek/waterfall?
Jamie,

Multnomah Falls near Bridal Veil, OR - just off one of my favorite evening haunts, the Historic Columbia River Highway which runs alongside I-84. In fact I recommend anyone visiting the gorge to take this road if you want to see the best of Oregon scenery.

I love your beautiful morning/evening light shots btw. I'm planning a trip in July out through Idaho myself. It's such an overlooked scenic state.

Status
Not open for further replies.