The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlm

Workshop Member
nope, Cambo wrs, tripod, hasselblad H39 back. my cambo mount lenses all have tilt and swing, plus the cambo body has two axes of shift. all movements used as needed for some of these shots

Shashin

Like you, I'm starting to realize that I need to go 1/(2 x focal length) to get a sharp image, hence a 120mm lens should be shot at 1/250 to be 'good'. This should get even more interesting since I might be able to try shooting in Shutter priority at 1/300 with a 150mm lens and come out decent at the set ISO.

My technique for handholding is quite tight - i tuck my left arm close to my body and take a wide stance, trying to mimic a tripod. Inhale, then slowly squeeze the release slowly on the exhale.
I only do that with longer than normal focal lengths. The reciprocal rule is OK, but it does not take body frequency vs. magnification into account. Here is a test image from a 35mm lens on a 645D at f/3.5, 1/40s, and 1600 ISO plus a few 100% crops. The softness is not from camera shake. I have about a 50/50 chance at being sharp with a 55mm lens at 1/8--can't find a sample right now.

BTW, I have one foot in front of the other, but slightly apart. When my feet are side by side but separate, my body rocks backward and foreword. I breath normally and I don't think I release any any particular point--maybe between an exhale and inhale.

One more thing, the Pentax mirror maybe better dampened than the Mamiya one.

Thierry

jlm

some nice shots, like it. But there are some strong magenta casts, especially in the 3 last images posted, and also some strange brighter light "halo" in 2 images, in the sky (pano & around the chimney).

Did you notice it?

Nevertheless, nice images.

Thierry

home base for a few boats, Socrates and friends

had a nice morning, finally took off work...

jlm

Workshop Member
i did notice the magenta, decided to not take it further. The H39 has a tendency to magenta, even after white balancing (to the withe bands on the boats, for example). I have the back and the processing set to daylight, still get super crappy out of the camera, and it varies shot to shot, lens to lens

the tall chimney has about 12mm of shift to get all the top in, don't know why that would halo.

here is that last shot with no processing, back set to daylight, Phocus set to daylight

djonesii

Workshop Member
Dear all;

Really been liking the p30+, shot with Liz Ashely a few weeks back.

Fully gallery available, just drop me a note as I prefer not to post to forum.

Dave

Shashin

Jim, do you shoot LCCs? It looks like a lens cast. I can see it in almost all your images.

BTW, what vintage are the cannons?

Last edited:

Thierry

... but this still has some strong magenta cast in the sky. very strong. Did you apply a white shading (LCC removal)?

Thierry

this was wb'd off of the white band on the boat, don't know what i did with the other version???

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
back in the navy yard; cannons, weber grill, bollard and cranes
Nice urban cameos. This feels almost Stephen Shore in nature.

It's always amazing to me when I think about the high technology and sheer expense that went into making those cannons originally in the day, and now they end up in a scrap pile like that. A bit like seeing a chopped up B52 or Saturn V rocket. I've visited many disused military bases when I was in the UK including a couple of the USAF bases such as Alconbury & Greenham Common that used to be home to the first line of nuclear defence and maintained no-expense spared - now all just scrap concrete, blast doors too big to remove and rusting electrical fittings. Fascinating places.

etrump

wow ... fantastic

I'm in Kauai now and debating on a helicopter ride ... what time of day was this?
4:30-5:30 scheduled but ours was delayed by 15-20 minutes. Puts you over the Napali Coast around 5pm when the light is just starting to get good but not too dark.

Contact Maren (808) 245-4006 http://www.maunaloahelicopters.com/

Be sure and tell them I referred you. :) They'll customize the flight to whatever you want. We didn't get to go into the crater but I understand it is fantastic with waterfalls in every direction.

Ed

etrump

Lavender has come and gone again in Mona, Utah. Actually took a couple of small workshops down for evening shoots this year. This is my favorite from this year. DF with IQ180, 105-210 at 105, 1/13th at f/12 ISO 50

Loverly Wanye. Is this a July shot? I want to put this on my schedule for next year.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Loverly Wanye. Is this a July shot? I want to put this on my schedule for next year.
Yes. Last year they started cutting on the 19th of July. This year they started on the 21st. It varies based on the sugar content of the flowers. It takes them several days to cut so even after they start cutting there are plenty of places to shoot. We usually start calling them about the 7th of July to get an idea of how the flowers are progressing ... I think it's normally a few days earlier, last two years the flowers have been a little late due to cooler summers.

Anders_HK

Lavender has come and gone again in Mona, Utah. Actually took a couple of small workshops down for evening shoots this year. This is my favorite from this year. DF with IQ180, 105-210 at 105, 1/13th at f/12 ISO 50

Very image. :thumbs: However, I find the darker clouds top right distracting, did you consider to remove them?

Regards
Anders

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
These are not the greatest, but I wanted to share anyway because sometimes the light just sucks when you most hope it won't. It was raining all day in Wicklow Ireland, but I grabbed a few tech shots anyway. These are IQ180 files processed on my MacBook Air in C1, then downsized in CS5. Surprisingly, the little laptop did pretty well. I hope to get back to the Laough Tay overlook in better light. FTR, I would much rather shoot with the DF body in the rain!

ISO 35, 1/30th at f11, 40 HR-W on RM3D:

ISO 35, 1/15 at f11, 70 HR-W on RM3D:

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Very image. :thumbs: However, I find the darker clouds top right distracting, did you consider to remove them?

Regards
Anders
I tend to be very minimalist in my conversions and subsequent photoshop work so rarely do I consider removing things unless they aren't natural or don't seem to belong, or something I would prefer not having in the shot but can't come back when they would be gone (such as people). Not that I have problems with it, just sort of in my nature since I'm pretty old school (or maybe I'm just getting old).

You may be right, and they aren't too big so not a big deal. This is a preliminary conversion, haven't tackled the final work print yet, so I may try taking them out.

thx

Status
Not open for further replies.