The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Only on a Sunday

I think the composition in this one is more pleasing, you seem to be further left, camera slightly higher and looking up more seems to emphasise the left to right motion supported by the slight incline and more depth as leaves behind the light area are more visible. #2 does nothing for me. #3 I feel the tree is starting to dominate the image.

Ben Rubinstein

Ben, Tom, jlm, Yat, Pramote, mtj, Shelby, Thanks guys for the comments! Yes it's Hong Kong.

I think the vignette looks worse online as the JPG conversion has just pulled a lot of tones down to black (can be seen in the building centre/bottom too).

Ben not sure this will print up large at this point as there seems to be an issue with a horizontal line right through the entire image. I need to contact POne about it :( I'll see if it can be dealt with or not
Let me know when you've got it sorted!

tashley

Subscriber Member

I like both #3 and #1, in that order, although for different reasons. #3 has a precision I attempt to achieve in my own photography; it's an accurate record. #1 is more nebulous, imprecise and dream-like; more of a memory.

Here's my own contribution from today, a local creek.

Tom
Thanks Tom...I think that's why I liked #1 when I first took it on the iPhone, that impressionistic look, hence the experiment with other gear thereafter to see where else I could take it.

Your shot is very nice - I am never able quite to get moving water as I would like it. What shutter speed? I do like the warm tones of the leaves against the cool rocks and water too!

tashley

Subscriber Member

Here is my question: I voted for #2 because I find there are more colors in the leaves. Specially some yellowish while in #3 it looks all dark orange/red to me.
So was #3 some days later and therefore less yellow leaves?
or did you post process in a way that you wanted it to look different to achieve a certain effect/ more color contrast to the dark green?
or did the x100 render the different colors better? :eek:
Hi Tom,
#3 three days later and in more dusky light, but it has also been processed more... the X100 colours are good but the IQ180 are, ahem, maybe a touch better because they have more colour depth! Worry not... no eek needed!

tashley

Subscriber Member

I guess I should have said why I liked #3 best.

#1 makes the tree ominous, like a spider waiting in the shadows using the beautiful leaves as the bait.

I didn't mind #2 because the far background light was rendered in an interesting way that added a sense of depth, but the tree looks dodged to much which ruined it for me. The color is nice.

#3, was likable to my eye because of all the subtile things going on ... like the reflections of the colored leaves on the hanging branches of the tree, and the rich detail everywhere. I didn't feel so manipulated even if it was, more natural.

#3 could be post process to mimic #1 and 2 ... but I doubt the opposite is true ... #1 for sure, and probably #2 could never look like #3.

I guess it shows how one can render a scene to achieve different goals.

-Marc
Thanks Marc...this has been a really interesting process, hearing different opinions. I processed #3 mainly to make a nice fine art print on Hahnemuhle German Etching and it does look really rich and gloomy, nice chiaroscuro effect. #1 could never have got to the same place... but, though I have always subscribed to the view that information can be thrown away later but never added, I still find it very hard to get the impressionistic small sensor look out of big sensor files. I currently have #'s 1 & 3 as screen savers on adjacent 30" monitors (I often trial images that way for a day or two!) and I quite like them both but in very different ways. #1 is purely impressionistic whereas #3 has something of the feel of a Victorian landscape by Samuel Palmer or Millais or someone similar - a bit mystical. Horses for courses as usual!

Last edited:

KeithL

To be honest I find most landscape photography to be about as exciting as watching paint dry.

So, imagine my surprise when along comes an image that is not only exciting but actually looks rather like paint drying.

Very nice.

hcubell

Ed:
Very nice photograph. BTW, Peter Lik is reputed to have sold a photograph that is VERY similar to yours for $1M. You can google it. Of course, the buyer is anonymous, so as with much of what Peter Lik claims, take it with a grain of salt. There is a photograph of the Jenne Farm on his website that he claims was shot at sunrise. Strangely, the sun is in the location where the sun actually sets, not where it rises.

jonoslack

This is the kind of Fun With Filters Frenzy that only happens when Sundays and Blue Moons coincide...

Most evenings I walk my pooch at dusk and there's this one spot where the colours make a pot of gold under some trees. It makes me stop in my tracks every time but it always looks like it's the sort of scene that's better in memory than on film. However... I started off with an iPhone snap processed in Snapspeed, quite liked the result and then graduated through a Fuji X100 shot to a full on, three shot HDR with IQ180 on Cambo with 35XL, LCC, the works, then processed in C1 to export to LR, then out to Nik HDR then Color Effex Pro and back to Lightroom.

So here are the three shots. If anyone likes them, which do they prefer: the $500 version, the $1,000 version or the, well, let's just say stratospheric version! You could save me a lot of money here...:):):)
Hi Tim
For what it's worth . . .
Not convinced. the iPhone shot has difficult edges . . . the X100 shot is messy to the extent that it spoils it . . . and the 3 shot HDR, although superficially and technically better . . . doesn't have any soul.

Seems to me like a classic example of less is more - you've see this fantastic scene, so you've applied experience and equipment to capture it. The iPhone shot ought to be best because it has spontaneity . but the kit wasn't up to it.

Shouldn't you have been taking the dog for a walk with your M9 and a 28 'cron?

That way you'd have got the quality and the spontaneity.

Just asking (and playing devils advocate a little).

I guess my basic feeling is that your photographs mean that I can recognise that you say it was a fab view . . . and they may even reflect that view, but, to me, they don't convey it.

I feel I can say this, because I like so many of your other shots so much.

I think I better stop digging :ROTFL:

Status
Not open for further replies.