The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I have no problems with HF 4.2.7 but then again I'm on a Mac so simply didn't understand the question about 64bit image size issues ;)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
As beautiful as your precedent image: I like the colour tonalities, and the shadows of the clouds.

:thumbs:

Thierry
Thanks Terry - that was exactly what I was going for in the image. DV has lot's of tone if you look for it - a straight rendering tends to be too bright or washed out even early in the day so I tried to pull the tones into a more interesting visible range.

Graham,

This image and the one of Badwater (?) are stunning and excellent examples of what is possible with MFD in the right hands. Death Valley is "other-worldly" and you've successfully illustrated that description. Thanks for sharing your work and how you accomplished the images.
Joe - ditto regarding the other-worldly image attempts. If DV is anything it is another planet and so I tried to pick viewpoints that showed the strange nature of the place. Btw, I've actually never shot Badwater in the three times I've been to DV. Too many people and trampled salt pan for my liking and so I try to find other interesting locations. The salt creek image was take on the West Side Road access road across the valley. Hardly visited and often actually has water in the creek.

mediumcool

portrait of one of my wife's figurines... loving the look of the rz glass (even though the front bokeh isn't near as nice as the rear)

aptus ii 6, RZ IID, 110/2.8
Interesting. We often forget about the front OOF areas. I have a 110mm 2.8 in M645 mount and have wondered if the lens formulae are identical or similar. I have found the rear bokeh to be rather wiry, particularly with contrasty lighting. Will test. Backyard is looking very Spring-like.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Another bit of fun with IQ180, DF body, SK 120 T/S, Cube and Gitzo Carbon

This was a shot I first tried a few years ago and quite liked the result - so it was always at the back of my mind to try it again on MF.

Conditions today not ideal (too windy for tripod slow exposures, not enough time) but the light was good and flat. SO... this is two almost identical exposures spliced almost down the middle. They both have swing, but along the plane of the row of huts so it had to be reversed from one shot to the next - and this is a non-trivial procedure involving moving the tripod collar on the lens after making an adjustment to the lens itself. All this also required ISO 200 which is not to my taste on the IQ back, but you have to get shutter speeds of at least 1/60th with this rig (very show speeds also work, over two seconds) to avoid blur, even with MUP. Especially given the need to shoot at F16 to get enough DOF...

I continue to realise how hard this lens is to Scheimpflug using the viewfinder or even by reviewing on screen. It would take a long time to get it right and I didn't do so.... not to the standard I'd have liked. But things will improve with time and practice I'm sure. In the meantime I have a file which would print acceptably at 5' by 2' so... not bad. I'd love to nail this eventually though...

Anyhoo here it is. Quite a lot of PP and surreal colours to match the mood.

D

Deleted member 7792

Re: Another bit of fun with IQ180, DF body, SK 120 T/S, Cube and Gitzo Carbon

This was a shot I first tried a few years ago and quite liked the result - so it was always at the back of my mind to try it again on MF.

Conditions today not ideal (too windy for tripod slow exposures, not enough time) but the light was good and flat. SO... this is two almost identical exposures spliced almost down the middle. They both have swing, but along the plane of the row of huts so it had to be reversed from one shot to the next - and this is a non-trivial procedure involving moving the tripod collar on the lens after making an adjustment to the lens itself. All this also required ISO 200 which is not to my taste on the IQ back, but you have to get shutter speeds of at least 1/60th with this rig (very show speeds also work, over two seconds) to avoid blur, even with MUP. Especially given the need to shoot at F16 to get enough DOF...

I continue to realise how hard this lens is to Scheimpflug using the viewfinder or even by reviewing on screen. It would take a long time to get it right and I didn't do so.... not to the standard I'd have liked. But things will improve with time and practice I'm sure. In the meantime I have a file which would print acceptably at 5' by 2' so... not bad. I'd love to nail this eventually though...

Anyhoo here it is. Quite a lot of PP and surreal colours to match the mood.

Tim,

Time and effort well spent. This is an outstanding image. Unusual, vibrant colors, well composed, well executed. Quite suited for printing BIG! Thanks for sharing the image and your process to create it.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Very nice... I played with some other crops: don't know if you saw the Gursky that went for $4.2m at auction this week but he crops to find the abstract. In any event, I couldn't find another crop nicer than the one you have already!

White Mountains
Almost night shot, 32 s
H4D50 HC 50 mm 2

cunim

Great image.

Peter

jerome

Very nice... I played with some other crops: don't know if you saw the Gursky that went for $4.2m at auction this week but he crops to find the abstract. In any event, I couldn't find another crop nicer than the one you have already!
Thanks !

I saw this Gursky and yes, he went to abstraction, very nice !

On the contrary here, I find that I cropped maybe too much ... hmm, the 50 mm cropped too much. In the end, it seems that I always prefer the 28 mm result, like here.

Before, I always was in detail, looking for abstraction with longer lenses. Now, I try to see "more".

Btw, your photo is really excellent, something fascinating with the colours and the composition. Bravo.

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member

WOW!! Breathtaking imagery. Congrats Tim!

D

Deleted member 7792

Rocky Mountain National Park, Estes Park, CO
Hasselblad H4D-40 with HCD-28
Thanks for viewing.
Pramote
Now that's a Rocky Mountain high! Sharp from foreground to background as far as I can tell. The flowers and sky add just enough color. Nice! Thanks for sharing the image.

mediumcool

I’d like to see this in monochrome, or toned. And more sky. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.