The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Shelby Lewis

Shelby, a touch of the Sally Mann style there... Really nice!
Ok... now you've gone too far :D

Sally is probably in my list of top 3 artist, and one of my main influences to move to a tripod based system for my portrait work. I hope to one day be as artistically "Free" as she seems to be... even within the confines of a slow, grounded camera system.

FWIW... here's a slideshow of the project for which the images above are intended (they're for a class). A pretty tough semester for me, so this collection is a bit ramshackle, but I can't wait to get back into this project and refine it in the future

Light and Lens Final Project - Shelby Lewis

A description of the assignment is here: http://lightandlens.shelbylewis.com/2011/12/05/light-and-lens-final-project/

Thanks Tim,
Shelby

tashley

Subscriber Member
I had a look at that, it's nice and gentle and has a pace that allows it to breath and lots of the shots are lovely.

It set me to thinking about what it is about Mann's family shots (from memory) that makes them so unique and I think it is that the photographer is absent from all of them: they never seem posed or set up and they observe very intimately but never enter in to the private world of the child, engaged in whatever make-believe has currently got their imagination. She really is masterful and her black and white treatments are so hard to pin down: dramatic but subtle. She is a very tough act to follow, but I think some of your shots are getting there nicely. The one of the little girl on a chair on the stoop is great but maybe if she had a doll or some such, and was less formally arranged, it might look more intimate. On the other hand it is the formality of that composition that makes that shot so strong.

Jeesh this is a difficult pursuit!
Best
Tim

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I bought a few presents for myself otherwise it was jeans and a travel kit. Sounds like time for me to hit the road. LOL

S

Shelby Lewis

...that makes them so unique and I think it is that the photographer is absent from all of them: they never seem posed or set up and they observe very intimately but never enter in to the private world of the child, engaged in whatever make-believe has currently got their imagination...
yet... Sally's work always seems to have a connection between viewer and subject. I'm not sure how she pulls it off. I think it's one more reason why the work with her kids seems controversial with some. There is some sort of connection there... but it's more intimate. Like you're actually there (not just seeing it through the photographer's lens), but not actually part of the action... walking a fine line between watched/watcher.

Her B/W is so complex and full of density... lots of contrast, but such wonderful luminescence in the skin. I guess those huge negs and old lenses will give you that.

Her wet plate work is just as beautiful. I really want to head towards that subtle "something" in work like hers. Now that I'm finally shooting some more, I'm gonna dive in.

Anywho, getting OT.

Great talk... I guess it's back to images!
Shelby

Wonderful images Shelby.
Stunning image SergeiR.
No Graham, not a guy ;)
Thanks MartinE, I used two Profoto D1 heads.
Key is a magnum reflector.
2nd light either bare or with grid at low angle to bring out shadows in the roots.

Grayhand

This thread, as always, repleted with inspiration :eek:

Two more from Söderåsen nature reserve, this fall.
AFDlll, 35AF and 50 shift, P45+
Ray

Last edited:

djonesii

Workshop Member
One of the first from my new ( used) 80mm Mamiya macro .... p30+

Just got around to shooting a few test photos to make sure all was working well, and it seems to be ....

AFD-II body, hand held, single small strobe, white shoot through umbrella, did not tether, but as I start to do a bit more serious macro work, I will be tethering, DOF is a bit thin!

Now that I know it works, Wife will not let me play with new toy until after Santa delivers.

Going to see how this looks printed at 16x20, MFDB files do hold up well.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.