The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlm

Workshop Member
thanks, dogstar, but those were shot from Bayonne. below is a shot from Redhook and those tiny cranes on the horizon are the ones in Bayonne!

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Here's one from today. Sometimes nature plays along! I had ten minutes of frantically trying to find somewhere scenic to capture the amazing sunset as I was driving home tonight through an unfamiliar part of the state and not sure when to stop and capture something before it disappeared.

DF IQ160 75-150 1/2s @ f/9

dogstarnyc

JLM..

Ahhh I see now where you are shooting from, I recognise those cranes....

Graham.. wow what a shot and to find a spot and grab like you did... top marks indeed...

etrump

Here's one from today. Sometimes nature plays along! I had ten minutes of frantically trying to find somewhere scenic to capture the amazing sunset as I was driving home tonight through an unfamiliar part of the state and not sure when to stop and capture something before it disappeared.

Well you obviously found a great spot. The mountain's shadow is an incredible feature in the composition. Wonderful!!!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Graham,

STUNNING! It is pretty rare to see a "mountain shadow" in a sunset as prominent as this one -- well done!

NicholasRab

Hi, Welcome...
I even went into Google to find which knoll you stood on to take the picture - the terrain is a bit different on the coast, where my step-grandsons live!
¿What sort of Tech Can do you hope to buy? ...and why?
¿Will you be looking for a lightweight system for back-packing?
I was probably lower down on the hill than you guessed via google. 58mm is quite wide on 6x12!

I'm on the lookout for a Cambo WRS, but delaying my purchase for a while and trying to be content with my 5d and t/s lenses while the new crop of cameras comes out. Why a tech cam? I shoot a lot of residences and architecture here, plus my personal landscape work seems to frequently be on the wider side of things. Something about simple plate cameras resounds with me... Oh, and I hate film, even though I keep shooting it with my 6x12. I'd love something to replace it.

Anyway, as this is an image posting thread, I probably should post something along with the reply. This is from last year, Seliunte, Sicily.

6x12 Fotoman with 58xl. Provia 400x. Handheld grab shot.

GrahamWelland

Graham,

STUNNING! It is pretty rare to see a "mountain shadow" in a sunset as prominent as this one -- well done!
Thanks everyone for the kind comments. I'd like to say that I'd carefully planned this using 'The Photographer's Ephemeris' etc etc but it was pure chance - and I'm happy for that! The annoying thing was that it was even more impressive leading up to this shot with an even more stunning shadow reaching way behind me across the sky. If you'd had a tape recorder in my truck at the time you'd have heard 'expletive EXPLETIVE expletive EXPLETIVE' as I was trying to find somewhere to stop. :mad:

Btw, the more I look at this image the more it looks PS'd and super saturated. Fact is that all that I did was drop the exposure in a grad for the sky and pulled up the boring field in the foreground. Galen Rowell was right about under exposing for colour! ;)

Swissblad

Lovely photo Graham - I guess most of know the feeling about not finding a place to stop/park - thankfully you got the shot in the end.;)

djonesii

Workshop Member
A macro shot ....

Dear all;

Got the 80mm macro, and some kit, been playing with it and focus stacking
P30+, linear stage, 100 images stacked...

Dave

Wow! Graham, that's a stunner!! Never seen that phenomenon before!

GrahamWelland

Re: A macro shot ....

:eek: That's a cutie ... Not! Sometimes I'm glad that I can't see the monsters that we live among everyday. :rolleyes:

Dear all;

Dave

Graham Mitchell

Big fleas have little fleas upon their backs to bite 'em,
And little fleas have lesser fleas, and so ad infinitum.
And the great fleas themselves, in turn, have greater fleas to go on,
While these again have greater still, and greater still, and so on

Bob

Administrator
Staff member

Graham, that is a wall hanger that I would love to have on my wall.
-bob

dick

Re: A macro shot ....

Dear all;

Dave
What camera/kit did you use?

What was the reproduction ratio, and what is the lens optimized for?

I have been accumulating kit for macro for decades... but I have not got a good system together yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.