The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerome

Another photo ! An older one, from my H3d31.

# 8 in december 2010 in Hasselblad owner's club :)

The tiny point in the wave is a surfer, the HC 28 is so good !

jlm

Workshop Member
love the colors...but have to say, either make the horizon level or don't; then you are making another kind of statement. So far your shots have all been off level a bit, but I'm getting the feeling that was an accident, not an intention

jerome

love the colors...but have to say, either make the horizon level or don't; then you are making another kind of statement. So far your shots have all been off level a bit, but I'm getting the feeling that was an accident, not an intention
You're right, and it should have been rectified here

My images often are tilt : an eye problem that is corrected with my glasses, but as I shoot without my glasses, I tend to lean the head ... I don't know if I'm clear, but I discovered the problem by having a huge number of photos leaning on the same side ... and complaining about my neck ! By correcting the vision, my head is now straight but I'm not comfortable shooting with glasses. When I use a tripod, this not a problem, but without a tripod ...

Question to the people having glasses : do you remove your glasses when you shoot ?

pesto

Hello Peter,
I must begin by telling you that I admire your work greatly, it is truly beautiful. Recently, I have been shooting with Leicas' excellent 120 Summarit and share your frustration with this lenses native magnification limitations. To remedy this, I have tried adding the 500D Diopter lens that is offered by Canon. It appears to impart very little image degradation while providing the opportunity to work at significantly higher magnification.
Just a thought that you may find helpful.

Douglas Benson.

jlm

Workshop Member
not everyone wants the clarity/intensity of Strand, Penn, Lange, Karsh or Avedon, too bad in my opinion.

Lloyd

Thanks, it's interesting to compare digital to MF film.
Yes, very interesting indeed. But which result best represents (color, etc.) what you see with your eyes?

¿So how can "professionals" get away with using Canons?

¿Do they think that this blurring effect is flattering, or minimised post-production?
Good point, but obviously it works for many, many photographers and their clients.

But wouldn't a 50mm lens be a better comparison to the 80mm on the MF; each being considered the "normal" for the format?

Chris Giles

The 1ds3 image is straight out of the camera apart from white balance correction and cropping.
For me the comparison was for the detail which is why I'm moving to MF.

I've never had any complaints about the 45+ weddings a year I do with my 1Ds3 either.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The 1ds3 image is straight out of the camera apart from white balance correction and cropping.
For me the comparison was for the detail which is why I'm moving to MF.

I've never had any complaints about the 45+ weddings a year I do with my 1Ds3 either.
Excellent comparison (and beautiful portraits, particularly the MF/film one). What strikes me immediately is how the MF/film portrait jumps out of my monitor and etches itself into my graphic memory. With more DOF, the Canon portrait may or may not be closer to reality with regards to colours etc., but is that what I am looking for in portrait photography?

Photography is not reality and with certain kinds of images, the objective is to get a result that looks like what my brain prefers to remember rather than what was actually there. Some films do that in an excellent way, not necessarily better than digital, but with more personality, a more direct approach. This one has impact, and my halfway sleeping plans to get into MF film photography has received a new boost. Thank you for that :)

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Haven't posted any images for a while. Here's a few from last night.

IQ180 with schneider 55mm

duotone, IQ180 with 75-150

IQ180 with 75-150

Paratom

¿So how can "professionals" get away with using Canons?

¿Do they think that this blurring effect is flattering, or minimised post-production?
My girlfriend (without knowing the different camera) prefers the Canon image.
I clearly prefer the film image.

Status
Not open for further replies.