The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quentin_Bargate

Thanks Wayne and Swissblad (a name that perhaps hints at a certain brand?!).

Its not so much the resolution of MF that differentiates it from 35m, but the tonality.

Jlm, I like panos, and I love the industrial smoke stack shot with the city in the background. Would be fun to get permission for the factory owner to shoot there. My Scaleber Force shot is actually 3 H4D-50 and HC50mm II shots merged using PT Gui, because a 28 mm lens just did not give me the right perspective balance and coverage.

Quentin_Bargate

I think I may have posted the next image before, but I have since re-processed it.

It is a focus-stacked image from Clovelly beach, shot with a H4D-50 and HC50 II lens. I liked the "Z" pattern formed by the rocks and cliff face.

S

Shelby Lewis

RZ IID, Aptus II 6, 110/2.8 and 180/4.5

New band hall here on campus at LSU.

some grittier stuff by request from a friend:

Cheers!
Shelby

Quentin_Bargate

Hi Shelby

Nice mono tones.:thumbup: Like the perpsective in the middle shot.

Some highly polished old Jag engine action, H4D-50, HC 50II

S

Shelby Lewis

Beautiful Quentin... the photo and the subject!

One more... struggled with the processing on this one. Still getting a feel for the RZ files on non-portrait subjects.

Cheers!
Shelby

P

Paul66

You all make me want to sell my camera and make me want to try harder at the same time, The B&W's are AWESOME!!!!

Uaiomex

Ok, Wayne, you got my attention!!! :salute:
Quentin: You too! :salute:
Shelby: Exactly the same.

It is so touching to see images soooo good that transcend the media!
Eduardo

Really like the stones Wayne. Where were these shots taken? The red stone (upper) appears to be a well-worn brick.

Tom

Chris Giles

H1 + 80mm @ 2.8 + Portra 160

For comparison / reference: Canon 1Ds3 - 85L @ 2.8 + ISO 100

As an aside, can anyone explain to me why the 80mm focal length of the H1 isn't stretching the face like the 1ds3 does?

I always thought the longer the lens the more flattering the look was and with an effective 50mm from the H1 I expected a more pleasing result from the 1ds3 (as in shape).

Or is it just the 1ds3 shot is tighter cropped with less contrast that's deceiving me?

jlm

Workshop Member
perspective produces the effect and it is only a function of camera to subject distance

Last edited:

Ben Rubinstein

As an aside, can anyone explain to me why the 80mm focal length of the H1 isn't stretching the face like the 1ds3 does?

I always thought the longer the lens the more flattering the look was and with an effective 50mm from the H1 I expected a more pleasing result from the 1ds3 (as in shape).

Or is it just the 1ds3 shot is tighter cropped with less contrast that's deceiving me?
Very different lighting would be my first guess.

Shashin

The only things that effect perspective are object distance ("true" perspective) and viewing distance (apparent perspective). The formats are different so the photographer is most likely closer with the Blad and because the viewing distance is held constant, you are changing the ratio between the "correct" and actual viewing distance.

While you might think the focal length determines perspective, it is an indirect effect. What causes or perception in the change of perspective from wide to telephoto is the the viewing distance. If you are at the "correct" viewing distance, a distance relative to the position the image was made which changes with focal length, then perspective will always appear normal regardless of the focal length. If you view an image from the "standard" viewing distance or constant viewing distance (standard viewing distance is equal to the diagonal of the image area), then perspective will appear stronger with images taken with a wide angle lens and weaker when taken with a telephoto. A "normal" lens is so named because the "correct" viewing distance is equal to the "standard" viewing distance.

There is a lot of confusion among photographers about perspective. This is a good read:

http://books.google.com/books?id=hc...rue perspective optics in photography&f=false

Ben Rubinstein

Given the framing Chris's original assumption about the perspective is correct. For a given framing the Hasselblad would have to be significantly closer to the subject than the canon was and that should give more perspective distortion rather than significantly less as is apparently shown in the images. Unless we are given an indication that the Hasselblad is a very significant crop of the original file I can't see that Chris is wrong in his question.

Status
Not open for further replies.