The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vincent Goetz

Subscriber Member
I LOVE the image!!! If there had been a bit of light in the lower right hand corner (to the right of the tree) your eyes would flow around the image. I find that sometimes there is something in an image that stops that flow, in this case it is the dark matter to the right of the tree. If you were able to burn some light in there that image would really suck you in. As it is, the greenness in the valley really holds you for a minute, and the clouds push your eyes back into the mountains and eventually the tree.

tsjanik

Thanks for the comments fellows. The sunlight in the foreground was spectacular in person, although it lasted only a moment. The photo falls far short of the reality, hence my disappointment - sort of turning a silk purse into a sow's ear.

Matt, the crop does help.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
You know, the more I try to come up with a pleasing crop, the more I like the original. How does a print look?

--Matt

etrump

Just before leaving to a new project tomorrow, I wanted to share two images from last year. I can't wait to see the new icehotel, but it will be hard to be even better. Last year was amazing.

Icebar 2011 - Rm3di - 32mm - P65

Design by Jens Thoms Ivarsson, Mats Nilsson and Jon Nilsson

Icehotel 2011 - Rm3di - 32mm - 2 image stitch - P65

Design by Anna Sofia Mååg

Icehotel 2011 - Rm3di - 32mm -3 image stitch - P65

Design by Ben Rousseau & Ian Douglas-Jones
Incredible!

tashley

Subscriber Member
All the great images from Death Valley prompted me to look at some of my old film shots from that area; tashely's post prompted me to post this one from 2005 (67 film camera). It was taken from Whitney Portal looking down at the Owens Valley. When I saw the sun hitting the small hill in the foreground and the tree silhouette, I thought for sure I had a winner, and yet somehow something is lacking. No real point of interest? No pleasing graphic quality? Nowhere for the eyes to go?

Tom

I too have played with crops on this and can't find anything but (to me) very marginal improvements. The scene is gorgeous, the light dynamic, the technique appears faultless. And yet, I agree with you: it doesn't fulfil its own promise. It doesn't 'not work' but it isn't 'sticky'.

Partly I think that this is because some scenes are best looked at and remembered rather than photographed: just because it is beautiful and dramatic, doesn't guarantee a shot of lasting interest. As I know to my own cost!

For me, a scene needs to have the above qualities and also to in some way evoke emotion or mood. It needs to say something about, for example, the nature of mountains, sky and light in general rather than just be a shot of this mountain under that sky lit by that light. If it would look great on the lid of a box of chocolates, it is a failure IMHO as wall art! I have a library full of such images :-(

But I would add that following the 'usual rules' of foreground interest, lead-in lines, 'properly' (i.e. GND) exposed skies and tilt-acquired DOF wedges to encompass the above can so easily lead to a formulaic look that is no better.

There's gold in them thar hills. Just try finding it though!

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
All the great images from Death Valley prompted me to look at some of my old film shots from that area; tashely's post prompted me to post this one from 2005 (67 film camera). It was taken from Whitney Portal looking down at the Owens Valley. When I saw the sun hitting the small hill in the foreground and the tree silhouette, I thought for sure I had a winner, and yet somehow something is lacking. No real point of interest? No pleasing graphic quality? Nowhere for the eyes to go?

Tom

Truly remarkable Tom! I like this version a little better.

Pramote

tsjanik

Thanks all. It prints very well Matt, the mushy distant mountains in the on-screen jpeg have beautiful sharp detail in the print; I think Tim summed up the dilemma "It doesn't 'not work' but it isn't 'sticky' ". It's a nice image, but not one to hang on the wall. As I recall I just missed a better shot. The entire near hill was illuminated by the setting sun, but the shadow moved rapidly from the right; a moment later and the light was gone.

etrump

I think Tim summed up the dilemma "It doesn't 'not work' but it isn't 'sticky' ". It's a nice image, but not one to hang on the wall.
This describes about 90% of my shots. :deadhorse:

Some I even try hanging on the wall and if I'm sick of them in a couple of days they hit the trash and the trash icon.

Status
Not open for further replies.