The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are a few quick-process from the Capture Integration Miami event. Saw some old friends and made several new ones, plus we made some time to shoot a little. Worked these up on my laptop and will rework them on the big machine hopefully this week. We stopped at Clyde Butcher's studio -- his gallery of amazing B&W images was a motivator to say the least, plus he was a delightful guy to talk photography with. A memorable experience for sure!

B&W conversions all done in C1, processed as shot. The first 3 image are with the 40HR on my Arca tech cam, the last one is the 70HR on my Arca tech cam. All used tilt plus varying amounts of fall. C & C welcome:

PS: Yes, I *AM* wading in about 18" of gator and water moccasin swamp with my phase kit tripod submerged to get those first three images, and yes I was a little nervous and spent a lot of my time looking behind me! But IMHO the images were worth it and I would do it again in a heartbeat. The last image is taken from the top of a swamp buggy in a drier area.

PPS: Here is a link to Clyde's website -- lot's of amazing B&W images: Clyde Butcher - Black and White Fine Art Photographer
Jack, I'd love to see these in color. As for the BW, maybe a touch more contrast? Shooting them looks like great fun :)

darr

Here are a few quick-process from the Capture Integration Miami event. Saw some old friends and made several new ones, plus we made some time to shoot a little. Worked these up on my laptop and will rework them on the big machine hopefully this week. We stopped at Clyde Butcher's studio -- his gallery of amazing B&W images was a motivator to say the least, plus he was a delightful guy to talk photography with. A memorable experience for sure!

B&W conversions all done in C1, processed as shot. The first 3 image are with the 40HR on my Arca tech cam, the last one is the 70HR on my Arca tech cam. All used tilt plus varying amounts of fall. It's pretty dark in under the swamp canopy and exposures hovered around 1 second @ f11 ISO 35. C & C welcome:

PS: Yes, I *AM* wading in about 18" of gator and water moccasin swamp with my phase kit tripod submerged to get those first three images, and yes I was a little nervous and spent a lot of my time looking behind me! But IMHO the images were worth it and I would do it again in a heartbeat. The last image is taken from the top of a swamp buggy in a drier area.

PPS: Here is a link to Clyde's website -- lot's of amazing B&W images: Clyde Butcher - Black and White Fine Art Photographer
Great stuff Jack! Clyde is quite the man! Makes you want to pull out the old view camera and shoot some film! Even though I live way north of Miami-Dade county now (I lived in Redland FL prior to Tallahassee which IS the Everglades), we still have all the swamp things that can kill you. Some of these views of yours look like they were made a few miles from where I live. Be careful as a neighbor's dog recently got bit by a moccasin and this was out front of our elementry school!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack, I'd love to see these in color. As for the BW, maybe a touch more contrast? Shooting them looks like great fun :)
Here are two of the above in color for reference:

As for more contrast, maybe -- but again, I need to proof them on my big monitor first. I definitely like contrast in my B&W's, but at the same time I do not like my blacks blocked up or my whites blown. They were indeed fun to make!

etrump

PS: Yes, I *AM* wading in about 18" of gator and water moccasin swamp with my phase kit tripod submerged to get those first three images, and yes I was a little nervous and spent a lot of my time looking behind me!
OMG!! - We didn't see a single water moccasin! ;) :ROTFL:

Jack, All kidding aside, these look fantastic, especially from a laptop.

I knew this would look good in B&W, the color just doesn't express the feel of the place. You had the perfect lens and processing is perfect.

Definitely had the better angle here and the color is more pleasing to me.

It's fun to see how different these are from mine (except the swamp buggie one of course since I was standing right next to you). Hopefully I can get a couple posted before heading to New York tomorrow.

Good stuff Ed and Jack. I was there in January and came away with a few good images, but I found it difficult to capture what I saw. I went to Clyde Butcher's gallery on Tamiami Trail in Grand Cypress and it was a treat to see his large prints. In fact, my favorite photo from the trip was captured from the parking lot of the gallery (see post #8356).

I received some wonderful photo advice here at GetDPI regarding a trip to Angkor Wat.
I used Dave Perkes at Peace of Angkor as our photo guide.
Highly recommended.
Here are a few photos using the Hasselblad h4d-40 and 28mm HCD.
Thanks.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Actually that was taken with the 80mm.
Well in Clyde's terminology, that would be a super telephoto LOLOL! Seriously, he told me his "normal" lens was a 90 on his 8x10 camera! (90 on 8x10 is roughly 45 on 4x5, which in turn would be about a 20 on full frame MF digital, or about a 12 in 35DSLR terms.)

:eek::eek::eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.