The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shashin

Shashin:

This has a very IR look, did you do anything special?
Just used an IR filter. The exposures are at f/11, ISO800, at 90 seconds.

BTW, I was getting some other artifacts on another series. I think the viewfinder may be causing a light leak and need to be covered during the exposure. I will investigate this further.

Last edited:

Shashin

Just getting my journey started here....went with a easy entry point cost wise and jumped for a used 645D and 75 mm f/2.8...any advise or tips for a newbie into the MF world is greatly appreciated...
Welcome. Nothing to fancy with MFD, they are just cameras and the 645D is one of the most advanced. I really like the D FA 55mm and I have the A 35mm and A 120mm macro, both really nice lenses. I do have a 300mm, but don't use it very much. FA are autofocus, A are manual. Some the the Pentax 67 lenses work well on the 645D as well. There are lots of places you can find lens recommendations. The Fun with the 645D thread is in the Pentax forum of GetDPI, but I usually post my 645D images here.

ISO 1600 is really good on the 645D and I have a lot of fun using it for street photography when I get to urban locations. This is not just for landscape pictures. The mirror is well dampened and with a bit of practice can use slower shutter speeds, but don't be fooled by the 100% monitor view--on a 24" monitor in Photoshop, you are looking at about a 9mm x 5mm section of the 44x33 chip. Just like viewing a 44"x33" print from 10". I regularly print images from a 44" wide printer and the results are wonderful.

BTW, if you have Leica Visoflex lenses, you can get an adapter to mount them on the 645D. Maybe not the best lenses for the 645D, but it could be fun.

Same subject also shot on 8X10 and Leica M9 and posted elsewhere.
Hasselblad CF39-MS back. 80mm lens. I've been comparing formats on a subject with difficult whites. The HB's bracketing is too shallow for useful tone mapping. M9 is a breeze. 8x10 TMax needs a triple scan in the flatbed Epson - a pain.
You wouldn't happen to be Chris, based in Italy would you?

Nathan W. Lediard

Nathan, I prefer the last couple shots! I am not into highkey very much however, I think the hair highlights on the second shot are almost gone! The last couple shots, light is more directional, softer with beautiful overall tones! I liked them very much indeed, well done :)
Thanks for the feedback Aryan, yes I cooked number two.. :D using a strong backlight to illuminate the face you are gonna blow something...

My faves are the last two too, my favorite way of lighting portraits, but I love to experiment with light, it's what I love about photography... :)

Like I said, I appreciate the feedback, I spent some time last night looking through your web portfolio, really enjoy your work!

Well my MF gear is all back in one piece and working again. I'm teetering on the edge of giving up on it. My poor daughter once again has to be my model

ashwinrao1

Welcome Ashwin. I've seen some of your images on other threads and I think you'll like the 645D; I would suggest you obtain a 35mm and 120mm macro for the camera, and maybe the 150mm FA and ..... ...- it never ends :D. Seriously, the 35 and 120 along with the 75 are a good starting point with this camera.

Tom
Thanks so much, Tom, Shashin, and Wentbackward. I ordered the 120 macro from KEH, and should have that next week...The 35's are a bit pricey, but there's one at the local shop where I snagged the 645D, so I may go try to get them to give me a good price LOL.

Thanks again for the advise. That shoiuld keep me sated for some time, though that 55 f/2.8 AF lens looks nice too, but probably too close to the 75 for both to see substantial use...

Shashin, thanks for the advice as well. I suspect that I'll be posting more here, as the 645D thread on the pentax forum is slow paced...

I hope your daughter isn't poor because you spent her college fund on your camera. Or did you decide she is not going to college? Beautiful girl and lovely image.
Hehe, no poor because I bribed with a trip to the park so I could get some pictures. It was good practice, like trying to shoot a rubber bouncing ball in a concrete room, DF in one hand and flash in the other, you can imagine how I looked lying on the path in park, after she'd run off.

Shashin

Well, I was inspired by Tom. Here is the center of a dandelion head. Pentax 645D with A 120mm macro and ISO1600 because of the wind. Also a Lily of the Valley in my woods (as well as the Ivy of the Poison). Ironic as I live on the crest of a ridge. Same setup, but ISO 400. Both taken this evening.

tsjanik

Well, I was inspired by Tom. Here is the center of a dandelion head. Pentax 645D with A 120mm macro and ISO1600 because of the wind. Also a Lily of the Valley in my woods (as well as the Ivy of the Poison). Ironic as I live on the crest of a ridge. Same setup, but ISO 400. Both taken this evening.
Thanks Shashin. Have you noticed an increase in poison ivy in Maine? There has been a noticeable increase over the past decade here; some forests and roadsides in W. New York are virtually impossible to enter without exposure.

Ashwin be sure to post some 645D images here. I’ve enjoyed your photos on the Leica threads ( I don’t own one, I read it since I like the photos).
I’m curious why you chose the 645D (since you seem to have no previous investment in the Pentax 645 system) over the D800(E), which is the current camera du jour and I don’t mean that in a derogatory sense, as it appears to be quite a breakthrough camera.

Tom

etrump

Probably my favorite so far from your Venice series.
Love the naturally subdued colours, reminds me of an old oil painting...
Thank you for the kind remarks - Darr, Shashin, Nathan and Jorgen.

I thought it had an old-timey look to it myself when I came across this scene.

Got soaked taking this one from the Rialto Bridge! A pleasant memory for sure.

Shashin

Thanks Shashin. Have you noticed an increase in poison ivy in Maine? There has been a noticeable increase over the past decade here; some forests and roadsides in W. New York are virtually impossible to enter without exposure.
I moved to Maine about six years ago and have lived in three different houses--I hope this is the last. I really can comment about the poison ivy, but being born in New England, I can tell you there were no ticks anywhere during my childhood--I pulled 30+ of the little buggers off me that last time I spent an afternoon in the wood, 15 from just the back of my head. Spring is also getting earlier and fall later. We are even getting birds we never had. But that is something we are going to have to get used to because of Climate Change. Buy American maple syrup while you can. It will have to be imported from Canada not very far in the future. :( But don't tell them about the poison ivy. ;)

Nathan W. Lediard

A taste of summer--- (back to rain here for the next few days...)

H4D-40 with the 80mm again wide open, really made the file scream here (in capture), but I was looking for a bright, hot feeling.. borderline overcooked? or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.