The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

David K

Workshop Member
Re: Fun with MF images, part 2: What are you shooting with that MF back?

Gary,
I take shots like that too, whenever I see them. Something appeals to me about the subject matter. Good luck with the new kit and look forward to more images. BTW, I prefer the color version.

David K

Workshop Member

Playing around with my pano head yesterday. Took this from Hobe Mountain observatory in Hobe Sound, Florida. This may be the highest point in South Florida but, at an elevation of 86' I think they should have named it Hobe Hill. These obviously don't show up that well on the web but the original looks pretty good. While processing these I decided to see what CS3's Photomerge was capable of. Pointed it at 15 captures (not this image) and let it do it's thing. Took about 20 mins on my machine but it did generate a 1.5GB merged file... pretty impressive I think.

Last edited:

fotografz

View of a Bare Bulb you don't normally see ;)

(Testing my Rodenstock 120 Digital Macro using the H3D-II/39 back on a Rollie Xact-II)

Last edited:

PeterA

I cant see any scratches Marc -:)

Nice Pano work there David!

bensonga

(Testing my Rodenstock 120 Digital Macro using the H3D-II/39 back on a Rollie Xact-II)
Wow that is sharp! I can only imagine how good the original image must be. Very cool. I'm not familiar with the Rollei Xact-II camera....off to Google it now.

Gary

irakly

marc, every time i look at your "tests" featuring products i am getting distinct symptoms of an inferiority complex :)

David K

Workshop Member

Irakly... too funny, Marc it's a great shot. Did you shoot tethered thru Phocus to capture it.

fotografz

Irakly... too funny, Marc it's a great shot. Did you shoot tethered thru Phocus to capture it.
Yes David, I don't use Flexcolor any more, except as scanner software for the 949.

I had to test the 120mm because the first one I got was soft ... Rodenstock replaced it with this one ... and I think it's okay ;)

Stuart Richardson

That flash tube is lit right? If so, how did you get it so that it did not overexpose and overwhelm the rest of the scene? Or is that just the modeling light...

fotografz

The Sunpak 120 J doesn't have a modeling light Stuart. So, yes, this is a shot of the Bare Bulb firing.

ISO 50, stop down the lens, set the 120J flash on M, dial it to 1/16th power and sync it with a Pocket Wizard ... provide fill balance with strobe from a Profoto D4.

I kept that 120J Bare Bulb unit around because it's so useful in small places without cords running to it ... for that kind of application I use a Wein optical slave and manually dial the flash to any level from full down to 1/16th power.

David K

Workshop Member

Sounds like a cheap alternative to something like the Profoto stick light... I'm thinking this could come in pretty handy shooting interiors.

fotografz

Sounds like a cheap alternative to something like the Profoto stick light... I'm thinking this could come in pretty handy shooting interiors.
My Stick light is a lot bigger and has a cord and generator box. This can be used for stuff like shooting a laptop from the back with the 120J lighting the model's face as if by the laptop screen. I've used it inside a refrigerator, to light the inside of a brief case, placed in a machine for accent light, etc.

Pretty handy.

David K

Workshop Member

Marc, I've got a Profoto stick light too... picked it up as part of a kit I was buying and figured I'd find some use for it. I think I've used it twice in two years... inside a refrigerator and lighting up a dark interior corner. Curious what real world situations you use it for.

fotografz

Marc, I've got a Profoto stick light too... picked it up as part of a kit I was buying and figured I'd find some use for it. I think I've used it twice in two years... inside a refrigerator and lighting up a dark interior corner. Curious what real world situations you use it for.
It's easy to hide behind a person. I don't use mine that much either. But it does come in handy from time to time.

bensonga

Another pic from the 503CWD-II with 50mm CFi Distagon. Ship Creek tugs and barges. I'm really happy with the quality of the images....the full resolution images are just amazing to me. This is obviously a crop of a section of the image (and then downsized). I was several hundred yards away from the tugs.

By the way....the previous images were of a Nodwell vehicle....used quite often in years past by Western Geophysical and other companies here in Alaska for oil exploration activities on the North Slope. Interesting story on the Canadian Bruce Nodwell, the inventor of these vehicles.

http://www.dobmagazine.nickles.com/...gazine/columns/060227/MAG_COL2006_FR0080.html

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

Last edited:

mark1958

Re: Greetings from Colorado

I am attending a meeting in Snowmass CO but have had a chance to get out and do some shooting with my Hasselblad. Both of these taken with H3DII-31 and 28mm lens

engel001

Beautiful images, Mark! Did you use any software perspective control on the first picture?

mark1958

I had the default setting of Phocus set to DAC. I should go back and look at DAC plus and minus but I spent a lot of time at the site trying to get the right position in terms of the level by which I took this shot. It was not an easy place to get to. I am not sure i would do it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.