The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

darr

Some long exposure experimental photography with a 10 stop ND filter:
Rick,
What shutter speed/f-stop are we looking at here with the 10-stop filter?
Your portrait work is awesome and using the 10-stopper for portrait work is an interesting mix for composition.

Kind regards,
Darr

Zerimar

^ It's ISO 50 f11 51 second exposure.

Thank you very much and I plan on continuing natural light portraits involving the big stopper due to their unique look. I have not seen anyone use it for portrait photography and plan to adapt a style out of it.

Best,
Rick

ondebanks

Seeing as it's the "Fun with MF" thread...what could be more fun than mixing a fisheye, infrared, kids, and a trampoline? :grin:

Mamiya 645AFD
24mm ULD fisheye with its internal filter set to Orange (O56/O2)
Kodak DCS 645M with the IR-block filter popped off.

The net spectral response is roughly 560nm to 1100nm. Normally for IR I'd use a 780nm filter up front, but of course one can't with a fisheye. So it just occured to me to try the internal orange filter instead, to limit the visible light component.

ISO 100, f/4 and 1/700 sec (#1) or f/5.6 and 1/250 sec (#2, #3).
[One of the few digital IR setups which is sensitive enough for "action" shots.]

My two obliging models are now tucked up asleep with their teddies, after their exertions this evening!

Ray

darr

^ It's ISO 50 f11 51 second exposure.

Thank you very much and I plan on continuing natural light portraits involving the big stopper due to their unique look. I have not seen anyone use it for portrait photography and plan to adapt a style out of it.

Best,
Rick
Rick,

Did you use a speedlight on the model and then have her leave the shot since it is 51 seconds? I am trying to understand the technique you used so wonderfully. :)

Darr

Ed Hurst

I agree Graham, but sadly these installations were not switched on until it was fully dark, so that was not an option... Unless of course i go back, shoot the scenes with twilight skies, then blend them. Not a bad idea in fact ;-)

darr

That's one way it could be done :p

not going to tell as I have been developing the proper way to achieve this look for some time and want to do a series of it.
Rick,

I understand your need to keep your recipe close at heart. I am happy you at least go public to share your vision! Thank you!! :watch:

Kind regards,
Darr

MaxKißler

nice ! did you use a flash to freeze the girl ? Did she come when the shot was ending then you shoot a flash pulse ? ;)
This way you'd still see some overexposed foreground and the model would be transparent to some degree.

I would simply use a tripod to ensure I maintain the same viewing angle. Make one long exposure of the scene with the nd filter. Then a short exposure of the model without nd filter and later stack them and use a layer mask. At least this is onother way to do it.

chaosphere

nice pictures Zerimar ! Keep it SECRET :) ! but just one thing i noticed, there is a sensation of bad masking in the hair zone in the b&w photo.

Don Libby

Decided to do a little more work on some Jackson Hole images this morning. This was a quick 2-shot image merged in CS6. Phase One DF, P65+, 80mm, f/11 1/250 and ISO 50. The images were first processed in C1 Pro then over to CS6 where I applied Nik, Silver Efex Pro 2 using high structure (smooth), a re filter and Ilford Pan F Plus 50. A little more processing while listening to the image and finished with this...

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.