The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

etrump

Ed, have you shot this in Andalucia, Spain? I have an image very very close to this scene from 1999 (GX 6800III - Velvia). I must find it and scan it to show you.....:)

Btw, nicely executed!
No Dan, I shot that tree in northern Tuscany in May. It kind of fell through the cracks until I saw the same tree on Wayne's site and was inspired to go digging.

I would love to see your tree, they are kind of a fetish for me. :) I'm off to Charleston, SC today to photograph a few famous trees there.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Wayne - I saw this on your blog and it was very very interesting. I totally understand the scrum of fellow photographers at times when iconic events occur!

Btw, I note that you are using the Tiffen filters in 100mm fitting vs screw on. Do these come with gaskets for light sealing against reflections? (the big stopper has this but I have to use gaffer tape when I stack with a .9 ND Lee).
no gaskets on the Tiffen filters. I bought the Schneider landscape kit which has a modified Lee holder that will hold the glass filters and has a set screw to keep them from falling out. I haven't tried stacking them with really long exposures to see if I have light leak issues yet ...

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
wow, the eagle sat there for 50 seconds?

gorgeous image ...
Thanks Wayne. Yes, that guy sat there for a long time, albeit not still but generally he kept looking out in the same direction so his head didn't end up too fuzzy. Of course as soon as I set up for an alternative composition a bunch of gulls swooped in and spooked him half way through the shot - oh well, I feel fortunate for the time I had with him ;)

The Tiffen glass LEE fit filters do have an appeal to me. Right now I have to wrap my big stopper and 3 stop ND with gaffer tape anyway so it wouldn't be a burden without the gasket.

Professional

That Tiffen filter done on those shots sold me, i am looking for to get one, i bought LEE stopper last week locally to my full surprise, but there is no Tiffen dealer here in my country, but i don't know which Tiffen NDIR Indie to get?!!!

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I have the Hitech and it has a very large color shift. I would only use it for B+W. Lee Big Stopper arrived recently, but haven't tested it yet.

-- Matt

tsjanik

I have the Hitech and it has a very large color shift. I would only use it for B+W. Lee Big Stopper arrived recently, but haven't tested it yet.

-- Matt
Matt:

Is your Hitech the newer formulation? According to the reviews linked, the new formulation causes less color shift.

Tom

Shashin

The color shift is from IR contamination which leads to not only too much signal in the red channel, but also objects in the frame don't have the same response under IR making impossible to get back to a natural balance.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Matt:

Is your Hitech the newer formulation? According to the reviews linked, the new formulation causes less color shift.

Tom
Tom,

I'm not sure. It's a recent (less than six months ago) purchase. I'll try to determine its age when I get home.

Matt

Shashin

So the filters for this kind of thing need better IR filtration?
Right. While weaker ND filters don't show this problem, 9-stop plus filters while blocking the visual spectrum very evenly, don't block all wavelengths outside the spectrum the same.

Last edited:

tsjanik

How much ND are you looking for? I have found the Hoya 9-stop 400X filter better than B+W filters, even with IR cut filters mounted in front . The Tiffen IRND series is also getting good feedback. These filters seem to have a reasonable price.
Thanks for the tip, the Tiffen IRND appears to be a good solution for me. Are the variable NDs just crossed polarizers?

Status
Not open for further replies.