The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathan W. Lediard

Here is some fun with MF.... from a shoot earlier this year for a knitwear designer... a whole bunch of kids all under 6 made for a fun day... despite me being attacked by a gnat storm at the end of the shoot... Book of knitwear patterns and designs has just been published so I can finally show the pics :)

Here is a link to a preview of the book with the patterns taken out, juts my pics left-- :)

Design by Marte Helgetun - "I all enkelhet"

Nathan W. Lediard

And here are myself and the Mrs on our way to a celebration dinner for the publishing of the book.... Self timer with interval on the H4D-40 is great for this :) 50-110 @ f5.6 in our living room having just used all day moving out ready to move into new house.. I had not planned this shot at all, so i grabbed a canon speedlight from the van and stuck it in the hassy's hot shoe on manual full power pointed at the ceiling with a stofen on it... :)
Finally a pic of me and the Mrs together :D (she was pleased)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
No, over by Kelly. We went on Moose-Wilson but no joy other than a fat bear running out in front of us.
Aha - a little quieter over there and I've shot all along the eastern Gros Ventre Rd after Kelly too. Interesting aspen groves and ruined barns out there too as I'm certain you know very well.

Nathan W. Lediard

MF fun in the darkroom!
Took mainly film pics on my recent holiday back in my home country (UK) on holiday and not wanting the digital "work" nice to be free of batteries and memory cards...
Contact sheet, a day on the trains... Hassy with 50mm

mediumcool

Shot on Acros100. I'm still amazed how much detail this film holds. Even though this was only scanned with my crappy ancient Epson flatbed scanner.

Max, I would try cropping out the OOF foreground, perhaps just above the central rock. Makes for a bit of a panorama! Love the tones in this.

Nathan W. Lediard

I find it a great break from all my digital work, sitting in front of my screen all day working on stuff for clients.... a half hour in the darkroom refills my batteries lifts the soul... :) so alot of my personal stuff is still done with film...

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
There is always this talk about "horses for courses" when talking about MFDB.
Whats the upside of using MFDB on these pictures?
Some of this will be post-hoc justification as, in truth, the day of a wedding I am guided more by instinct and experience than by specific and thorough consideration. In other words I have two systems with me and when I see a shot I tend to instinctually reach for one of the cameras or the other. There are exceptions of course, for instance when I walked into the reception hall and saw it was mostly candle-lit there wasn't any question I was going to pull out the Canon and a fast prime on a monopod. Later with the dance floor I would be crazy I think to take out the Phase. Even if it had fast glass and great low-light AF it would still be a bit expensive to have around fast moving highly inebriated guests.

The group formals are an easy choice. I want to shoot medium format for those as my primary camera; larger and better files to play with. I also fired off a few frames with the Canon for additional security. This is my least favorite genre of wedding photography and I consider them a necessary evil.

The shots in the hair salon were largely experimental. Frankly the hair appointment lasted over an hour and I had the six or seven shots I wanted after only 10 minutes (establishing wide shot, mother/daughter shot, macro hair shot, detail shot, etc). So I pulled out the phase system just to play around. There is also an element of my day job here in that I take pride in knowing the real-world limits of these systems personally - and the only way to get that knowledge is your own personal real-world use. I was really pleased though at what it gave me it terms of feel. The web JPGs don't do much justice to them since grain doesn't down-res especially gracefully, but the full res files should look nice in the album because of their ISO3200 grain (not despite the grain) and really beautiful rendering of the OOF areas.

The shots of the location as a landscape were another no brainer. I didn't even think about using the Canon.

The shots of the bride and groom at the front of the ceremony were taken with the Phase after a quick check of the histogram showed it would be really tough to pull a single-exposure Canon file that would decently treat the sunset sky behind them; I try hard to limit flash during the ceremony, and because I really wanted shallow DOF to isolate them against the background the Canon would have had to be set to HSS which, at a distance, is very low in power. Perhaps I could have made the Canon work using some combination of various tricks (e.g. setting lens zoom for 70mm but setting flash to 105mm, using a flash reflector to gain a fraction of a stop at a distance, underexposing strongly and pulling them up via hand drawn mask in post, handholding a 3 frame bracket and HDR'ing in post) I could have gotten the sky in, but with the digital back I simply raised the camera and pushed the shutter release, glanced at the histo and continued on knowing I had the shot I wanted. Bear in mind that I spend many hours in post as it is, so I'm always eager to do anything in camera that is possible (not to mention the inherent quality benefits of getting it right in-camera).

The milling-about cocktail shots I find very interesting because one (including me) would normally think of Canon (or Leica M, which I don't have) for that kind of shooting. But again, it was a long cocktail hour and a different camera can help you see and visually explore the scene differently (or at least that is my experience with my own photography) and there was enough light (with sensor+) to shoot some with the Phase. I see now I left some of those shots overly green (having done a lot of the editing in the hotel room the morning after), but that aside I really like the look and color from the Phase shots of this part of the evening.

Side note: here is a 14mm establishing shot of the ceremony with HSS flash set to (I think) 70mm zoom. It's ok, but it feels gimmiky to me.

Truth be told I'm disappointed I didn't shoot more frames of the ceremony with the Phase. Part of the issue was the organization and rehearsal of the wedding were somewhat abbreviated so I was unsure how much time I had left at any given point and switching cameras takes precious time.

Overall I shot 60 frames with the Phase and 300 with the Canon. But of my favorite 20 frames nearly half are from the Phase.

So yeah, basically horses for courses. But a wedding is a very LONG course and has many legs :). Sometimes it's nice to have two horses.

GMB

From a recent trip to Montana and Wyoming. Both with the S2.

Yellowstone, Fishing Cone.

And this one next to Fishing Cone (sorry, forgot the name).

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

This is a good example of why I need to go back to tech camera with tilt! I'm beginning to consider the options and will mine this forum for valuable info!

Probably going to be Arca, Alpa or Cambo. Arca presently favoured because I have an excellent dealer in Toronto and tilt is "built in". But more homework is needed.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.