The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Fun with MF images, part 2: What are you shooting with that MF back?

O.K jack

Here you go . Looking forward to your analysis.

Woody
Looking at the sun like thing to the left, there is very little evidence of motion, On the other hand the spiral thingie shows motion but only in the vertical plane.
My conclusion: subject motion mostly at least on the spiral thingy.
Otherwise, for an exposure that long, mirror slap doesn't seem plausible since that would have died down within milliseconds.
Some other factor, such as the tripod footing, if it was grass or soil, then a slight movement throughout the exposure is possible in addition to the subject motion on the spiral thingy.
-bob

Don Libby

Woodie

I took the liberty of saving your crop and opening it to CS3 to see it better. As far as I could tell it appears that the only movement is from the statue as I failed to see any “ghosting” in the roof lines. I just looked at the original image you posted and saw a shadow in the upper left under the roof line. Take a look there and see if you have the same movements; if so I’d lay even money on the wind.

don

woodyspedden

Thanks to both Don and Bob

I am trying really hard to understand how best to shoot the MFDB and I continue to say it is not a trivial exercise.

I will relook at the image for the things you have described and try very hard to get better

Thanks pros and Bob, look forward to seeing you again in fort lauderdale

Woody

T

tetsrfun

"I am trying really hard to understand how best to shoot the MFDB and I continue to say it is not a trivial exercise."

No truer words were spoken. As a hobbyist with an entry level MFDB (CFV); focus, tripod, mirror slap, etc., seem to be magnified with less than optimal technique.

PeterA

David - I want one of those lenses -:)

Bob

Administrator
Staff member

Looking at the sun like thing to the left, there is very little evidence of motion, On the other hand the spiral thingie shows motion but only in the vertical plane.
My conclusion: subject motion mostly at least on the spiral thingy.
Otherwise, for an exposure that long, mirror slap doesn't seem plausible since that would have died down within milliseconds.
Some other factor, such as the tripod footing, if it was grass or soil, then a slight movement throughout the exposure is possible in addition to the subject motion on the spiral thingy.
-bob
Woody,
I was mistaken,
It looks like vertical plane motion on the whole statue thing, but the building background is too oof to tell.
an enlarged portion of something in-focus and stationary as Jack suggests is what is needed to differentiate subject vs camera movement.
sorry about my first post, I must have been blind.
-bob

woodyspedden

Woody,
I was mistaken,
It looks like vertical plane motion on the whole statue thing, but the building background is too oof to tell.
an enlarged portion of something in-focus and stationary as Jack suggests is what is needed to differentiate subject vs camera movement.
sorry about my first post, I must have been blind.
-bob
No worries Bob. Apparently I have been blind for years! LOL

Woody

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Jan:

A duck dragging his feet? :ROTFL:

Looks like you're getting along very well with that new system :thumbs:

Cheers,

Don Libby

Just wanted to share ...

This was taken near Anchor Point Alaska.

Mamiya AFD II/P30+ and the 28mm lens.

don

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member

Hi Don,

You are doing nice work with that 28mm. :)

Kurt

Don Libby

Hi Don,

You are doing nice work with that 28mm. :)

Kurt
Thank you Kurt. I've found that the Mamiya is wearing the 28mm way more than 80% of the time. I understand that this lens might be causing problems with others (for the most part P45) however I've not encountered any problems other than the occasional user error.

don

BTW - I should have the new Phase III here next Tuesday so I might start looking for a new home from my AFD II.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member

Jack, I was kind of wondering about the drag marks myself. But it's on both feet, so must be normal. It's something smaller than a duck though, probably a gull and we all know how they like to put on their act when they see a camera. This one was probably moonwalking! :D

Don, very nice one!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

No Jan I admit that is my feet in the morning before 2 cups of espresso. Just dragging my web feet around. LOL

Nice shot Don. I want the 28mm but I think I maybe better served with the Schnieder 24mm for some interiors with my Alpa. Like flipping a coin, just never know what i will do next. LOL

bensonga

Just wanted to share ...

This was taken near Anchor Point Alaska.

Mamiya AFD II/P30+ and the 28mm lens.

don
Beautiful image Don. Looks like you had a great trip. I haven't been down to the Anchor Point area for many years.....makes me realize I should get out of Anchorage more often!

Just got my 503CWD-II and 40mm IF lens back from Hasselblad USA service today, so I'm hoping to get out this weekend.

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

C

carbonmetrictree

I definitely agree, the colors are beautiful!

Jim Stone

Workshop Member

Don,

Just jumping on the bandwagon....very lovely shot as are many that you've posted both here and on LL. Always look forward to seeing your work. :D

Also want to welcome Andrew. I enjoyed looking through your site....very impressive stuff! And I like the way you navigate through it. :salute:

PeterA

Yes - Andrew welcome to the forum and I am diggin some of your work - especially the personal stuff through derelict car views - cool.:thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.