The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dale Allyn

Re: Fun with MF images, part 2: What are you shooting with that MF back?

Jack: I really like that treatment for that image. Nicely done.

Don: Thank you for the detailed response. That helps me a lot. I tend to be very conservative in post and sort of even chastise myself when cropping, but I'm making adjustments in this attitude. I freely crop when shot with that in mind (more often now as I'm shooting a different aspect ratio), but I don't toss pixels freely. This has been a bit of stupid "rule" with me (likely due to the old days with transparencies). As I have been shooting this back (P25+) it's been a struggle at times to get the image depth covered (i.e. in focus front to back) if I compose a bit too tight, etc. Hyper-focal distance focussing has been mandatory for me with this system, where it was less so with FF DSLR stuff.

I'll lighten up a little and be willing to shed a few more pixels I guess. :)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Thanks Guys. I actually did most of it using Nik Color and Silver FX plug-in demos. Was messing with teh demos to see if there's anything of interest for me, and have to admit there may be ;). Basically as a plug-in it just does things already available in CS, but puts them together in an organized fashion and makes life a little easier.

Cheers,

N

Natasa Stojsic

Playing around with more processing --- if the light sucked, process it :ROTFL: --- here i went for an old-time, large format Polaroid look. Just having some fun:
Love it:thumbup:

N

Natasa Stojsic

I really need a 28mm . The question is for me for my Alpa or for my Mamiya. I keep bouncing that around. I know the Alpa solution is better just a load of money for the Rodenstock 28mm HR
I think you should go with 28HR because eventually(just after Photokina:ROTFL:) you will end up with P65 and Mamiya28mm won't be that good anymore...:( I would go with 28HR for sure... make more money and if you must than add 28mm Mamiya:thumbup:

Personally, I purchased 28mm f4.5 D. AF just because of the AF convenience, that's all!!!

If you like, I'll sell my 28mm f4.5 D. AF to you/others.... if I need extra $$$ for P45+/P65+:thumbup:

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member

Hi Natasa, can you provide your thoughts on the Mamiya 28mm lens? Your opinion would be appreciated.

Kurt

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member

Jack,

The image is very very good...

Are the torn edges part of the plug ins or something you constructed in CS3?

Bob Moore

jlm

Workshop Member

Jack:

exceptional image, and it does remind me of the old 4x5 polaroid positive/negative film look

N

Natasa Stojsic

Hi Natasa, can you provide your thoughts on the Mamiya 28mm lens? Your opinion would be appreciated.

Kurt
Kurt, you can read about my opinion made not long ago > Link: Here

Just to make sure... at that time we didn't know about P65+:D

My Options are......

UPDATE:
in short words, if I stay with P30+ for sure I will keep 28mm f4.5 D. AF :thumbup:

If I don't have enough $$$ to pay for P45+ or P65+... I will sell it because
I'm getting 24XL anyway!!!

If I happen to have enough $$$ to buy P45+ or P65+.... I'm thinking.... in addition to 24XL Schneider, I could replace 28 Mamiya with 28HR and be 110% HAPPY:thumbup:

If I win National Lottery, I keep them all... furthermore I promise to send a brand new 28mm f4.5 D. AF to Guy on his Birthday:thumbs:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Natasa you and i need to join the debate team. I keep banging my head on this one.

I got Lance working on something , not sure what he is up too but it can't be good. LOL

Guy Mancuso

If I win National Lottery, I keep them all... furthermore I promise to send a brand new 28mm f4.5 D. AF to Guy on his Birthday

Now that is someone to love. LOL

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Jack,

The image is very very good...

Are the torn edges part of the plug ins or something you constructed in CS3?

Bob Moore
Hi Bob:

The Pola edges were in the FX Color demo. It's automated so you cannot tweak it, but still pretty cool.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Jack:

exceptional image, and it does remind me of the old 4x5 polaroid positive/negative film look
Thanks John:

Bob gets 100% credit for the composition though -- he saw it and I shot it after him. It was only later I decided it might make a neat "old time" image.

N

Natasa Stojsic

Natasa you and i need to join the debate team. I keep banging my head on this one.

I got Lance working on something , not sure what he is up too but it can't be good. LOL

Well, let me tell you something.... the thoughest debate I have are always the once when I have to talk my self out of selling something that I love, to buy something that I need!!!

So along those steps I learned to deal with Mother patience:p although I am far from being her best kid:ROTFL:

Guy, it's easy from now on.... not worth banging your head over it and I mean that seriously!!!

Basically what you have is:

CONVENIENCE vs. QUALITY
Workshop vs. Future

I think for you..... it should be more about 24XL vs 28HR and I would tell you to go for 28HR
obviously because of the bigger circle that will draw some serious images on your new P65+:p

Not to mention that if you ever want to sell your 28HR I am here to buy it... shame on me hehehehehe....
now I sound like Danny Devito in Twins or definitely like those filthy jewellers who buy gold teeth/etc.:ROTFL:

As far as 28mm f4.5 D. AF goes.... think of it as purchased, just not delivered yet:ROTFL: at least
that is my current therapy prescribed by my accountants hehehehe..... and believe it or not it works wonders:thumbs:

Remember..... If we could do it with Leica and have all their lenses + put up with their BS on daily basis!!! We can do it here easily and with a perfect excuse:thumbup: Especially, with the current and soon to be available P65+ backs:thumbup:!!!

Guy, worst case scenario.... I wouldn't go about too many WA lenses, instead (as I said before I am ready to sell to you/others my 28mm f4.5 D. AF) I would buy 'ultimate' one 24XL or 28HR and in your case 28HR and save the rest for P65+

Just remember my therapy:thumbup: and you'll end up having more than you need:ROTFL:

N

Natasa Stojsic

If I win National Lottery, I keep them all... furthermore I promise to send a brand new 28mm f4.5 D. AF to Guy on his Birthday

Now that is someone to love. LOL
JB007 Charm
:clap:

Guy Mancuso

Jack wants me to get the Mamiya 28mm and just sell the Alpa gear and be done with it. It is a better overall tool for me. i can get more use from the Mamiya 28mm . I'm just stubborn. Let's see what Lance can put together but it might mean getting a Cambo with a 24mm and 35mm lens. So I may put the Alpa TC and 47mm up for sale or trade out for the Cambo setup, man that hurts just thinking about it. The thing is I like the Mamiya 28mm when I tested it just those corners bug me

N

Natasa Stojsic

Jack wants me to get the Mamiya 28mm and just sell the Alpa gear and be done with it. It is a better overall tool for me. i can get more use from the Mamiya 28mm . I'm just stubborn. Let's see what Lance can put together but it might mean getting a Cambo with a 24mm and 35mm lens. So I may put the Alpa TC and 47mm up for sale or trade out for the Cambo setup, man that hurts just thinking about it. The thing is I like the Mamiya 28mm when I tested it just those corners bug me

I've been there... you know by now how I think and personally with confidence I can say I wouldn't do that.... there's so much stuff around!!!

With regards to getting 28mm f4.5 D. AF... the corners will bug you/others even more on a bigger sensor!!! This is why I said if you are shooting Automobiles it won't matter that much....

CONVENIENCE? why not :thumbup:

This is why I'm hoping not to sell it, but only if I can!!!

Remember! One good reason to sell Alpa, Cambo, Horseman, Arca, etc. and just buy 28mm f4.5 D. AF and be done with it is to finally be able to SLEEP LIKE A BABY and I am huge supporter of that!!!

If you remember, not long a go... I said my purchase of 28mm f4.5 D. AF was good for
my cardiovascular system....:ROTFL:

So again my vote overall always goes to CONVENIENCE, of course Quality doesn't hurt if we can afford it:thumbs:

Last edited:

Stuart Richardson

With all due respect, it is how your clients feel, rather than how you feel. If the corners are good enough for them, stick with the Mamiya, if it produces results that are unacceptable for your client, then obviously you will have to change the lens.

N

Natasa Stojsic

With all due respect, it is how your clients feel, rather than how you feel. If the corners are good enough for them, stick with the Mamiya, if it produces results that are unacceptable for your client, then obviously you will have to change the lens.
Or just RENT A LENS:thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.