The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

etrump

Crop off about 3/4 of the space between the last tree and bottom of the frame. To my eye, the composition is a little bland with the horizon and subject so close to the center of the frame. It blocks your eye from exploring instead of drawing you in.

Woody,

I appreciate the NYC cityscapes. I got curious how you were able to handle the DOF in one of your photos so I examined the EFIX data. The cool think about the new Leica S is the built in GPS module and that info gets captured in the EFIX. I was able to take the coordinates from the EFIX in your photo and enter them into Google maps. The street view from Google maps is shown below.

This is pretty cool and at the same time pretty scary.

View attachment 68316

D&A

Here's a shot from today for which I had great expectations when I took the shot. Not sure why it doesn't quite measure up. Any thoughts would be appreciated. It's in color, no B&W conversion. Winter in northern latitudes becomes amazingly monochrome.

Tom

645D, 150mm f2.8, 2 frame stitch

Untitled_Panorama1 by tsjanik47, on Flickr
Tom, first of all I love the look and feel of this (your) image! The combination of the wintery storm captured with a monchrome look and the relatively small size (in the frame) of the singular woman, who appears to be fighting the wind/snow, lends of feeling of desolation. Even though there are trees and other elements that indicates it does not appear to in the middle of nowheres, but simply seems like it is due to the look of desolation, lends a form of tension between these two elements.

Lastly in many types of images we capture in general, especially those that are of the dramatic type (like darkening skiees of a pending thunderstorm), often our mind plays a role in the emotional feeling of these scenes and what we're able to capture on film (or a sensor) might appear to fall far short of what we envisioned first hand. For the viewer though, they don't have the luxury of seeing the scene first hand, so the impact for them is usually greater. All in alll, nicely captured!

Dave (D&A)

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Woody,

I appreciate the NYC cityscapes. I got curious how you were able to handle the DOF in one of your photos so I examined the EFIX data. The cool think about the new Leica S is the built in GPS module and that info gets captured in the EFIX. I was able to take the coordinates from the EFIX in your photo and enter them into Google maps. The street view from Google maps is shown below.

This is pretty cool and at the same time pretty scary.

View attachment 68316
That is exactly where I was standing shooting and listening for traffic in the middle of Third Avenue. Makes my case on tripods.

gogopix

Subscriber
Crop off about 3/4 of the space between the last tree and bottom of the frame. To my eye, the composition is a little bland with the horizon and subject so close to the center of the frame. It blocks your eye from exploring instead of drawing you in.
I agree with above... but with so many MP these days, I find in mood shots like this that I want the figure image VERY small in comparison to the environment (I tend to print large, min 8x10 dye sub, usually 24" high and 36-48 wide)
You can't change this one (unless you want to try cloning the trees, but I would have shot it even wider with the figure 1/4 up and 1/4 in from side. I would have shot it from closer to the ground.

I am sure you will get meany suggestions, but after 60+ years of looking at photos (and shooting a FEW of my own that I like) I found if you go for drama, REALLY go for it. That means two things either VERY close (then CLOSER, as the photog books will tell you) or very far. Make the observer want to know more, and being far away increases the mystery... not to say takes all pressure out of getting it in focus LOL

Really good shot though. I see why you took it, and it certainly grabbed my interest.

Try the crop suggestion, but take some from the side as well...like you are just about to lose the figure....

regards
Victor

D&A

I agree with above... but with so many MP these days, I find in mood shots like this that I want the figure image VERY small in comparison to the environment (I tend to print large, min 8x10 dye sub, usually 24" high and 36-48 wide)
You can't change this one (unless you want to try cloning the trees, but I would have shot it even wider with the figure 1/4 up and 1/4 in from side. I would have shot it from closer to the ground.

I am sure you will get meany suggestions, but after 60+ years of looking at photos (and shooting a FEW of my own that I like) I found if you go for drama, REALLY go for it. That means two things either VERY close (then CLOSER, as the photog books will tell you) or very far. Make the observer want to know more, and being far away increases the mystery... not to say takes all pressure out of getting it in focus LOL

Really good shot though. I see why you took it, and it certainly grabbed my interest.

Try the crop suggestion, but take some from the side as well...like you are just about to lose the figure....

regards
Victor
So many ways to look at this image and all the suggestions are interesting. Of course some cannot be implemented, now that the moment is gone, but it would be interesting to see some of the suggested crops. Something tells more than one will have impact.

Dave (D&A)

D&A

Not entirely Dave :D, I can go somewhat wider as Victor suggests by adding one more frame to the stitch:
Well there you go! That's the advantage of modern technology :) Actually it would be interesting to see what the stitched version looks like.

Dave (D&A)

Don Libby

Just found this in peeking at images taken at Lake McDonald, Glacier Nat'l Park this past fall. Phase One DF/Mamiya 120, IQ160 f/4 1/125 ISO 50.

Don

D&A

This changes the mood substantially. Having the person walking into the frame is definitely a different feel than headed out.
Agreed! Tom, I much prefer this version over the one originally posted. It gives the feeling that she has a long way to go to brave (fight) the wind/storm, which in turn strengthens the predominant focus of the image, which is the doom and gloom of the storm itself.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

D&A

Just found this in peeking at images taken at Lake McDonald, Glacier Nat'l Park this past fall. Phase One DF/Mamiya 120, IQ160 f/4 1/125 ISO 50.

Don
I love the evocative mood this images projects which for me is enhanced by the ground level perspective and close up point of focus. The background then becomes a bit mysterious, especially with the mist ofver the water. Other elements like the early/late day light on the right side in the background as well as refelcting off the water (foreground) adds to the overall effectiveness. of the image. Nicely done Don!

Dave (D&A)

gogopix

Subscriber
Not entirely Dave :D, I can go somewhat wider as Victor suggests by adding one more frame to the stitch:

Untitled_Panorama1 by tsjanik47, on Flickr
Yes, modern technology! :) Hadn't anticipated you might have other frames (though often I take more pano frames than I use at one time.

I like this. As was pointed out, a different mood, but the left frame with the tree puts the figure in an "overwhelmed by nature, but plugging on. The stoop is part of the narrative that I liked in this, it shows persistence against not only nature but possibly the ravages of age :eek:

Ok, over-interpreting. But to OP; when people comment and probe a piece, to me it means it is working.

Regards
Victor

Status
Not open for further replies.