The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grayhand

+1! I love to see a photographically documented series of a subject as it and the surrounding enviorment changes during the four primarily seasons. In this regard, many have a favorite subject they focus on thoughout the year. For me, I affectionately call my subject "Shed on the Hill". Ray, I can identify with the obsession :). Lovely series!

Dave (D&A)
Thanks Dave!

It is always nice to find a "brother in obsession" :chug:

Ray

D&A

Thanks Dave!

It is always nice to find a "brother in obsession"
Ray
I"ll drink to that! The beer's on me!! My problem is my obsessive subject "Shed on a Hill" requires me to make a split second decision as I pass it by on the other side of a major highway, make a legal U-Turn just past it and then quickly built up speed to cut across two lanes of on-coming traffic and pull over into to off the side of the road dirt, up against (nearly) a guard rail.

More times than not, within 5 minutes (about the time I'm about to take the 1st shot), flashing red lights pull up right behind me, seriously inquiring what I'm doing. Most seem to understand (the obsession) to capture this scene and simply reply "be careful when pulling out later"...while others just shake their head and can't figure it out and probably thinking "it's just a old dilapidated shed siiting in the distance on some ragged rolling hill..what's he wasting his time for"...LOL

It's in the eye of the beholder but having an occasional pending storm hovering over the gentle rolling Blue Ridge Mountain range sitting in the background of this shed, certainly doesn't hurt :). Talk about a pending storm...I'm getting a late start here this morning and we at the moment are having a small snow storm of about 1-2 inches at the moment....hmmm.....time for a quick jump in the car prior to work and prepare to make that U-turn! :). See you at the tavern...afterwards! :chug: (If I don't show, maybe someone will bail me out...LOL!).

I'm sure most of us have our own stories about the great lengths we go to shoot and document our own Personal Obsessive Subjects. I'd hate to use the abreviation "POS" for this syndrome, but can't think of what other acronym to use! :ROTFL:

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

Shashin

On the street where I live. We have a big storm heading our way this weekend. This is just the pre-storm warmup--this little guy is coming from out west and the main event is coming in from the south. Where I live, they are predicting 18"–24" by the time it is over--our ground was bare yesterday. NOTE TO SELF: chill the camera before going out to stop ice forming on it. Weatherproofing may be a gimmick, but it is a gimmick I can live with.

D

Deleted member 7792

On the street where I live. We have a big storm heading our way this weekend. This is just the pre-storm warmup--this little guy is coming from out west and the main event is coming in from the south. Where I live, they are predicting 18"–24" by the time it is over--our ground was bare yesterday. NOTE TO SELF: chill the camera before going out to stop ice forming on it. Weatherproofing may be a gimmick, but it is a gimmick I can live with.
Yikes!! :bugeyes: I've been looking at the Nubble Lighthouse webcam today and conditions look fierce.

Joe

Shashin

Joe, that is not even the storm. We have a blizzard forecast which are winds of 35mph or greater. Right now it is a gentle winter flurry. Any one want to help me dig out tomorrow?

Grayhand

I"ll drink to that! The beer's on me!! My problem is my obsessive subject "Shed on a Hill" requires me to make a split second decision as I pass it by on the other side of a major highway, make a legal U-Turn just past it and then quickly built up speed to cut across two lanes of on-coming traffic and pull over into to off the side of the road dirt, up against (nearly) a guard rail.

More times than not, within 5 minutes (about the time I'm about to take the 1st shot), flashing red lights pull up right behind me, seriously inquiring what I'm doing. Most seem to understand (the obsession) to capture this scene and simply reply "be careful when pulling out later"...while others just shake their head and can't figure it out and probably thinking "it's just a old dilapidated shed siiting in the distance on some ragged rolling hill..what's he wasting his time for"...LOL

It's in the eye of the beholder but having an occasional pending storm hovering over the gentle rolling Blue Ridge Mountain range sitting in the background of this shed, certainly doesn't hurt :). Talk about a pending storm...I'm getting a late start here this morning and we at the moment are having a small snow storm of about 1-2 inches at the moment....hmmm.....time for a quick jump in the car prior to work and prepare to make that U-turn! :). See you at the tavern...afterwards! :chug: (If I don't show, maybe someone will bail me out...LOL!).

I'm sure most of us have our own stories about the great lengths we go to shoot and document our own Personal Obsessive Subjects. I'd hate to use the abreviation "POS" for this syndrome, but can't think of what other acronym to use! :ROTFL:

Dave (D&A)
Dont get me started about the fact that at least 50% of all interesting views I see is seen from different highways :(
But, as much as I like nature in fog, we better be careful on the highway.
Or else: Bildspel från Tranarpsbron - hd.se
The theory now is it all started because two cars did stop on the bridge in the fog.
And then drove away...

But I truly understands your obsession with your "shed on a hill"
I was starting to develop some thing similar about an old shed on a field some years ago.
The picture below was taken the second time I did pass this shed.
The first time I did not have a camera with me :poke:

But the third time I did have all my equipment with me.
Then it was my plan to take a nice photo of the shed in all the snow that had fallen the days before.
But when I arrived at the field, the shed was just a heap of old wood. It had fallen down below all the snow.
I was so disappointed that I just drove to my final destination.
But today I can kick my self for not stoping and take a photo of the "ruin".

But now, time for the tavern :)

Ray

Mamiya 6, 150mm, some old Kodak portra

Last edited:

Nathan W. Lediard

Nothing like seeing your work end up in its final place, on a wall or in print in a magazine.. so I love it when a customer lets me know when its in print...

KK this week, Probably Norway's biggest womens magazine :)

Nathan W. Lediard

And here is the file, H4D-40 80mm at f3.4 all beautiful natural norwegian light and a just as beautiful norwegian model... It can be as easy as that at work sometimes... no lugging pelicases full of heavy profoto gear... love it :D

jlm

Workshop Member
Joe:
nice work at death valley, one of my favorite spots. i think it was exactly a year ago, same full moon, we were there for the getdpi workshop.

Shashin

And here is the file, H4D-40 80mm at f3.4 all beautiful natural norwegian light and a just as beautiful norwegian model... It can be as easy as that at work sometimes... no lugging pelicases full of heavy profoto gear... love it :D
That's what I keep trying to tell those people from southern, warm places, snow is just such great fill.

D&A

Joe, that is not even the storm. We have a blizzard forecast which are winds of 35mph or greater. Right now it is a gentle winter flurry. Any one want to help me dig out tomorrow?
Wouldn't mind getting a little extra exercise. I was in Boston for the famous Blizzard of 78'. Now that was a strom, although I know many other have probably experienced somethings similar. Still it holds up a a legendary snowstorm here is the States. Best shot was from a helicopter showing the beltway days later with thousand and thousands of abandoned cars that were already in a rush hour standstill and thats how they remained for close to 1 1/2 weeks. What fun it was taking shuttle buses to find ones car over miles of territory. Most couldn't see or even know where they were when they left their cars that night.

Take care Shashin and hope to see some good winter weather pics. I ran out this morning when we got our massive 1/2" of snow flurries, in order to capture my favoirte local subject :). Once I dig out, I'll be right there to help dig you out! :ROTFL:

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

D&A

Dont get me started about the fact that at least 50% of all interesting views I see is seen from different highways :(
But, as much as I like nature in fog, we better be careful on the highway.
Or else: Bildspel från Tranarpsbron - hd.se
The theory now is it all started because two cars did stop on the bridge in the fog.
And then drove away...

But I truly understands your obsession with your "shed on a hill"
I was starting to develop some thing similar about an old shed on a field some years ago.
The picture below was taken the second time I did pass this shed.
The first time I did not have a camera with me :poke:

But the third time I did have all my equipment with me.
Then it was my plan to take a nice photo of the shed in all the snow that had fallen the days before.
But when I arrived at the field, the shed was just a heap of old wood. It had fallen down below all the snow.
I was so disappointed that I just drove to my final destination.
But today I can kick my self for not stoping and take a photo of the "ruin".

But now, time for the tavern :)

Ray

Mamiya 6, 150mm, some old Kodak portra

Ray great story and I can't count the times I passed something that I just knew would make a great image...only to not have my equipment with me. Next trip around, it was either gone, moved, or simply wasn't the right light.

As for my "Shed on the Hill", I got there with just approx 1/2" of snow, if that...and for the first time, the owner of the land must have finally had the chance to send someone over towards me see what I was doing. It was his son, nephew etc. who was probably home from school that was cancelled (yes cancelled with 1/2 inch snow on the ground)... riding a dirt motor bike back and forth criss-crossing through my "framinging" area repeatedly. When he saw all I was doing was taking photographs, he waved and I waved back and off he went :). I'm sure the owner has seen others stop (and I occasionally do) at the same spot to a quick snap.

Funny thing is this shed looked weather worn for so many years with the cows meandering up to it (must be a feed shed). It look photographically good that way. After approx. a decade, I guess the owner felt it needed a new coat of pain and so just a few weeks ago repainted in in a newly looking off shade of red. Darn, the shed now looks too new and completely altered it's lovely weathered look. Now why did he go and do something like that....LOL!

Anyhow, I have a different smaller secondary small shed that I can photograph up close and looks very much like a carbon copy of the one you pictured. I too find it looks best when it snows...either that or when some yellow wild flowers grow besides it. Everyone has their favorite "local" photographic subject, that just begs to be photographed each time the look of the scene surrounding it changes, not to mention the lighting and change of seasons.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

D&A

That's what I keep trying to tell those people from southern, warm places, snow is just such great fill.
Funny thing is, I keep relaying stories how interesting it often is to stumble upon some unexpected subject and jumping out of the car to photograph it....but never have I encounted a subject standing in the middle of the road quite like this :) Nice work Nathan!

Dave (D&A)

D&A

Cades Cove last weekend. Joe, you will recognize these locations. Both with Leica S2 and 70mm.
Lovely Mark.... both look great in the snow, especially the dusting of snow in the second image. I should just jump in my car :)

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.