The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

ondebanks

Ray, the AstroTrac is really nice, I (theguywitha645d) used one. I have since side-graded and have a Vixen Polarie--I am just a sucker for small tracking mounts. I have not done much with the Polarie as of yet; the weather has not been on my side. But I am hoping to get some star time this summer. Nice to see you posting here.
Thanks! I knew that you had an AstroTrac - such a thing stands out in a forum like this. Yeah, I weighed up the Polarie and a few others (such as the Fornax unit) before going for the AstroTrac. It was mainly the higher payload rating over the Polarie that swung it...and the compact dedicated latitude wedge option.

I've used full-blown telescope equatorial mounts before, from a medium Vixen Super Polaris to a back-breaking Skywatcher EQ6, so the AstroTrac is feather-light and compact in comparison.

I really, really wanted to get away from the German-equatorial style with lopsided camera positioning, counterweight bars, big battery packs, controller handsets, and cables hanging everywhere. I wanted to recover the sense of mobility, quick set up and convenience that comes with fixed-tripod astrophotography...Several of my happiest memories from the past 25 years are of hiking a short distance at night with a tripod over one shoulder and a camera bag over the other one, to get a better vantage point or darker sky for photographing a comet or a conjunction. At such times, I have experienced the purest expression of freedom and the deepest appreciation of nature.

Anyway, before I burst into tears at the recollection of it all ;), I'll just say that the AstroTrac is now starting to recreate that vibe for me...with of course the new dimension of superb sky tracking.

Ray

IBICO

Beautiful tones in your images. Very well done. Looks like there would be lots of possibilities at this location.
Thank you :)

Yes, it is a beautiful place. I`ll get back there later with my 4x5 and 8x10 view camera.

I only shot digital there now to get a feeling of the place before I went back there.

ondebanks

Cancun, Mexico
Phase One IQ180/Phase One DF/ Mamiya 28mm

What sorcery is this?! You somehow got different clouds to move at 90 degrees to each other. Well however that came about, it looks amazing.

BTW did you notice the Pleiades star cluster (aka the Seven Sisters) on the left hand side of your photo? Just at the junction between a clear gap and a cloud bank. Since they are tilting upwards, I can tell that the camera was facing east-south-east when you took this.

Ray

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
What sorcery is this?! You somehow got different clouds to move at 90 degrees to each other. Well however that came about, it looks amazing.

BTW did you notice the Pleiades star cluster (aka the Seven Sisters) on the left hand side of your photo? Just at the junction between a clear gap and a cloud bank. Since they are tilting upwards, I can tell that the camera was facing east-south-east when you took this.

Ray
Thanks very much Ray! It's only 60-sec exposure. I agree the clouds were crazy!
Thanks for pointing out the stars. I thought it was artifacts and am glad I didn't delete them.
Pramote

tsjanik

I posted this image once before in a different incarnation (4:3). Someone wants this in a panoramic version. I like this better than the original; however, to produce this version I had to use content-aware-scale. It works very well on this image, but somehow makes me uncomfortable, so I'm curious if it would trouble others.
Tom

_IGP0535_8924long by tsjanik47, on Flickr

tsjanik

Cancun, Mexico
Phase One IQ180/Phase One DF/ Mamiya 28mm

Living where I do, I have seen clouds at different elevations moving in different directions, but this image really captures the confusion of such weather. It might illustrate why it causes uneasiness too!

Tom

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Pramote:

Living where I do, I have seen clouds at different elevations moving in different directions, but this image really captures the confusion of such weather. It might illustrate why it causes uneasiness too!

Tom
Thanks Tom for your explanation. Pramote

Status
Not open for further replies.