The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerome

Hi everybody

I've been away from here for a while now ...

Happy to share with you my latest photographs from la Réunion

H4D50 HC 50 mm 2

WildRover

This is sort of a follow-up from the last photo I posted. I turned around 180 degrees from my initial set-up and photographed this when the clouds started going crazy. The sky got even wilder as I went back to my initial spot, and then, poof the light was gone. I find one of the hardest things to do is keeping my composure and using good technique with quickly changing light and conditions (especially in the early morning hours).http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/images/attach/jpg.gif

One exposure, no stacking, ETTR, ISO 200, f/13, Pentax 645D, 35mm-A

Ken_R

I made these images using the Pentax 645D (the first 3 using the 35mm A lens, the last one the 120mm macro A), only had it for a few weeks but really liked the camera. Now im looking forward to working with the Arca rm3di w/ IQ160 and 40mm HR.

Last edited:

tsjanik

This is sort of a follow-up from the last photo I posted. I turned around 180 degrees from my initial set-up and photographed this when the clouds started going crazy. The sky got even wilder as I went back to my initial spot, and then, poof the light was gone. I find one of the hardest things to do is keeping my composure and using good technique with quickly changing light and conditions (especially in the early morning hours).http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/images/attach/jpg.gif

One exposure, no stacking, ETTR, ISO 200, f/13, Pentax 645D, 35mm-A

Very nice Wildrover. Where are you taking these?

Tom

WildRover

Tom,

This is at the White Pocket section of Vermilion Cliffs National Monument near Page Arizona. It's close to the North and South Coyote Buttes Area. If you look at photos of the horseshoe bend near Page, White Pocket would be 20 miles or so past the river. It's a four wheel drive excursion to get back there with a few tricky spots and some deep soft sand. I camp out of my truck when I've gone - no facilities - but everywhere you look there is something to photograph.

Rick

tsjanik

Tom,

This is at the White Pocket section of Vermilion Cliffs National Monument near Page Arizona. It's close to the North and South Coyote Buttes Area. If you look at photos of the horseshoe bend near Page, White Pocket would be 20 miles or so past the river. It's a four wheel drive excursion to get back there with a few tricky spots and some deep soft sand. I camp out of my truck when I've gone - no facilities - but everywhere you look there is something to photograph.

Rick
Thanks Rick. I thought perhaps you were somewhere in the Great Lakes. White Pocket sounds like an amazing place:

White Pocket, Vermilion Cliffs National Monument, Arizona | Amusing Planet

Please post additional shots.

Tom

WildRover

Thanks Rick. I thought perhaps you were somewhere in the Great Lakes. White Pocket sounds like an amazing place:

Tom
Thats the place. Pretty crazy. An interesting note, if you look carefully at the ninth photo down, you can make out the impressions made by cattle's hoofs over the bare rock. There's pockets and actually a small concrete dam that hold water. The cattle and animals find their way across the rock to the watering holes. I'm often out past dark, and here I just needed to find the cattle trail with my headlamp and follow the pock marks through the rocks to find my way back to camp.

Rick

Last edited:

Vincent Goetz

Subscriber Member
So is there some info about the drive? I spend a lot of time in the back country in Death Valley, that area appeals to me. (I hiked Paria Canyon two years ago, and would love to do it again.

D

Deleted member 7792

Tom
White Pocket is an "other-worldly" kind of place, the likes of which I hadn't seen before. Three of us hired a guide who drove us in and back out. One unfortunate soul who didn't hire our guide, but followed us in his personal vehicle, got stuck in deep sand on the way in and we couldn't pull him out. He probably spent the night on the road waiting for help.

Here's an example of what's in White Pocket:

More here. My advice - hire a guide.

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.