The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

etrump

Here's an older shot from the film days from White Pocket. Oh - that Velvia. Pentax 67II (or 6x7 - I carried both in the pack and had different lenses mounted so it was quick to switch between them), 67 45mm, polarizer, Velvia (not sure at the moment which one).
Richard, this is an awesome shot from WP. Looks like waves crashing!

etrump

Thanks Ed. I thought perhaps we'd photographed the same river. The rocks looked familiar:

Great Smoky Mountains, Tremont, Phase One 645DF, IQ180, 55mm

The White Pocket photos were taken after a Spring rain. There was still some standing water in pools around the rock formations. And the sky was simply spectacular that day. I've had some viewers who have asked whether I substituted the skies in Photoshop. Nope!

Joe
Early morning in Tremont - fantastic! Your spot is easier to get to but 10 hours drive for me.

MaxKißler

White Pocket is an "other-worldly" kind of place, the likes of which I hadn't seen before. Three of us hired a guide who drove us in and back out. One unfortunate soul who didn't hire our guide, but followed us in his personal vehicle, got stuck in deep sand on the way in and we couldn't pull him out. He probably spent the night on the road waiting for help.

Here's an example of what's in White Pocket:

More here. My advice - hire a guide.

Joe
Really nice work Joe. Would you mind sharing a b&w version of it?

Regards

BTW: The ones on your website are even more stunning.

WildRover

So is there some info about the drive? I spend a lot of time in the back country in Death Valley, that area appeals to me. (I hiked Paria Canyon two years ago, and would love to do it again.
Vincent,
I think Joe's advice is the best - hire a guide. But....... If you're so inclined - you can research a trip here. White Pocket Paria Canyon - White Pocket These are excellent guides to lots of places in the southwest. I've included photos of my big rolling camera bag. This is the section above Paw Hole, and is the worse section. The longer route in is better, but still has some areas that could eat your vehicle. If you break down or get stuck back there you will have a long wait and it could get very expensive. I've always been there in the spring. It's likely that later in the year, the sand will dry out more and be even that much more difficult. I got stuck in this section on one of my trips and thought I was in for a long day. I deflated the tires down to about 15lbs not thinking that would do much, but I crawled right on out. My last trip To White Pocket I had to make a detour to Page after coming out because one of my U-Joints was about to blow apart. So.... Joe's advise, or proceed with caution and have an adventure. Oh yea, don't rely on GPS alone. Use maps. Photo credits go to my son, Collin Longseth.

Last edited:

WildRover

Richard, this is an awesome shot from WP. Looks like waves crashing!
Thanks Ed. I had forgotten what my film images looked like. I've been concentrating so much on my recent digital files and at getting better at processing. It was a pleasure to dig it up and show it.

I love your river shots. Makes me want to get out and get at it again - I've been mostly hibernating this winter. Can't wait. Good luck with your endeavors.

Rick

D

Deleted member 7792

Really nice work Joe. Would you mind sharing a b&w version of it?

Regards

BTW: The ones on your website are even more stunning.
Max, thanks very much. That's very kind. Here's one just for you:

Vincent,
I think Joe's advice is the best - hire a guide. But....... If you're so inclined - you can research a trip here. White Pocket Paria Canyon - White Pocket These are excellent guides to lots of places in the southwest. I've included photos of my big rolling camera bag. This is the section above Paw Hole, and is the worse section. The longer route in is better, but still has some areas that could eat your vehicle. If you break down or get stuck back there you will have a long wait and it could get very expensive. I've always been there in the spring. It's likely that later in the year, the sand will dry out more and be even that much more difficult. I got stuck in this section on one of my trips and thought I was in for a long day. I deflated the tires down to about 15lbs not thinking that would do much, but I crawled right on out. My last trip To White Pocket I had to make a detour to Page after coming out because one of my U-Joints was about to blow apart. So.... Joe's advise, or proceed with caution and have an adventure. Oh yea, don't rely on GPS alone. Use maps.
And just to put more fear in your heart, here's one taken by my friend Mike Worley as we were trying to help the stranded photographer who got stuck. That's me looking gobsmacked, and our guide with his back turned to the disaster:

Hire a guide!

Joe

Nathan W. Lediard

Surnadal here, and we had snow yesterday! 2. may! had to turn back on way to a shoot due to heavy snow and high winds! Normally OK to switch to summer tyres by 1st of may... not this year! :toocool:

MaxKißler

I've recently shot a couple of images in the workshop of the Berliner Zeitungsdruck GmbH. A printing plant for one of Berlin's major newspapers.

Aptus 22 and 50mm Shift.

Max, thanks very much. That's very kind. Here's one just for you:

And just to put more fear in your heart, here's one taken by my friend Mike Worley as we were trying to help the stranded photographer who got stuck. That's me looking gobsmacked, and our guide with his back turned to the disaster:

Hire a guide!

Joe
if you're going where there is sand by yourself purchase some of these! MAXTRAX: Vehicle Extraction & Recovery :thumbup:

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Wow, great work Pramote. I like it a lot. It's like the image consists of five seperate layers each one waiting to be explored.

Though I'd love to see a less contrasty version of it. Don't know whether it is the clarity but I think the lower half of the image doesn't need to be that contrasty, it's too apparent. Right now, upper and lower half of the image are competing against each other. A much more oldschool look might work better here.

Regards
Thanks very much Max! I can't disagree more with your thoughtful comment.

Pramote

Adam L

I just wanted to say that I'm overwhelmed by the quality of pictures on this site, and in this thread in particular. It's really humbling to look at what you guys are capable of doing and then having to go home and look at my images.

You have all set the bar very high. It's out of my reach at the moment but something I will continue to strive towards.

MaxKißler

Max, only in Germany would a full time printing press of such complexity be so freaking clean! :D
Yeah, Germans are really weird in this regard. ;) Though, I have to admit this is only the place where everything gets packed up. The hall with the giant printing presses was a tad more dusty from all that ink.

However, the people working there were very kind and the management seems to appreciate photography. So I feel honored and am glad they let me shoot there.

Last edited:

MaxKißler

This is the original shot I did as a part of my school duty and the reason I went there in the first place. Requirements were to shoot an interior of a large production facility on 4x5.

Cambo Legend 4x5, 90mm SA XL at f32, 1,5min, CHS100

jlm

Workshop Member
adam:
" It's out of my reach at the moment"
nonsense!
this is a very polite site and i am sure all would welcome your work. posting should be enabling, not humbling

MaxKißler

I just wanted to say that I'm overwhelmed by the quality of pictures on this site, and in this thread in particular. It's really humbling to look at what you guys are capable of doing and then having to go home and look at my images.

You have all set the bar very high. It's out of my reach at the moment but something I will continue to strive towards.
IMO, this is the thing that is so great about photography: You are constantly getting better at it. Two years ago I contributed to this thread with some really horrible images. Images that make me feel ashamed to have even shared them. But it was probably alright to have done so, otherwise nobody could have given me advice to improve my photography.

Just give it a start, what's the worst thing that could happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.