The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shashin

Pramote, thank you. I was out to Pemaquid Point this evening. I saw a photographer on the rocks and remembered our meeting--you had nicer weather.

Tom, thanks for the heads up. The intense thunderstorms I don't mind, the unrelenting days of rain, not so much. I don't mind mushroom, just not in the middle of the lawn. Hopefully I can my last two cords of wood stacked before it reaches us.

tsjanik

Pramote, thank you. I was out to Pemaquid Point this evening. I saw a photographer on the rocks and remembered our meeting--you had nicer weather.

Tom, thanks for the heads up. The intense thunderstorms I don't mind, the unrelenting days of rain, not so much. I don't mind mushroom, just not in the middle of the lawn. Hopefully I can my last two cords of wood stacked before it reaches us.
Yes, I've seen some unusual fungi as well, including one in my backyard I had never seen before and which I later identified as Dead Man's Fingers. Very creepy. Picture link:

Google Image Result for http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/gallery/files/1/0/8/5/DeadMansFingers-Xylariapolymorpha_DSC_1976_m_w.jpg

Nathan W. Lediard

What to do as soon as you get to the hotel room after a 12 hour commercial shoot...?
Why, set up the camera (H4D-40 & HCD28mm) and do an 11 shot pano of the hotel room of course! :loco:

Last edited:

pesto

A few months ago, Swallow-Tailed Kite, Florida . IQ180/150mm.

Hello Bill,
I have been trying to photograph these birds for years. They fly all around my home at high altitude and have provided me a great unending source of frustration, as if I needed one more....all that I can say is that I take my hat off to you,sir. All here shoupe realize how difficult these guys are to photograph...well done.

Douglas Benson

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

A few months ago, Swallow-Tailed Kite, Florida . IQ180/150mm.

Hello Bill,
I have been trying to photograph these birds for years. They fly all around my home at high altitude and have provided me a great unending source of frustration, as if I needed one more....all that I can say is that I take my hat off to you,sir. All here shoupe realize how difficult these guys are to photograph...well done.

Douglas Benson
Thanks Douglas. You are very kind!
The bird seemed curious about me walking through Big Cypress Reserve and circled me several times. I had the 150 mm mounted for a landscape shot, looked up and shot two frames. Luck! No time to change the lens or I would have mounted the 240 mm.

WildRover

I must be older than you, KII an then K25 and K64 are my benchmarks :).[/QUOTE]

Tom,

I do feel old some days, other days not. I misspoke using an overused cliche. I can't really recall the KII, but I did use K25 and K64 when I first got going. That's what the National Geographic guys used, and when I grew up, I was going to be just like them. When Velvia appeared, Galen Rowell and others really endorsed it. After starting to use it myself, it became my 95% main film. Since my intentions were for publication, and not prints, it was a great film to use. I still have quite a few 50 sheet 4x5 boxes in the freezer. They may become more valuable than gold with it's inevitable discontinuance. I love digital and my Pentax 645D, but I do miss seeing those beautiful chromes on the light table after getting them back from the lab.

Take care, Rick

WildRover

A couple more from Pictured Rocks. I went out onto Grand Sable Dunes for sunset a couple years ago. The light fizzled and I couldn't find a good sweeping landscape shot, but I did come up with these as the light faded. I'm just now getting them processed.

Last edited:

Shashin

I must be older than you, KII an then K25 and K64 are my benchmarks :).
Tom,

I do feel old some days, other days not. I misspoke using an overused cliche. I can't really recall the KII, but I did use K25 and K64 when I first got going. That's what the National Geographic guys used, and when I grew up, I was going to be just like them. When Velvia appeared, Galen Rowell and others really endorsed it. After starting to use it myself, it became my 95% main film. Since my intentions were for publication, and not prints, it was a great film to use. I still have quite a few 50 sheet 4x5 boxes in the freezer. They may become more valuable than gold with it's inevitable discontinuance. I love digital and my Pentax 645D, but I do miss seeing those beautiful chromes on the light table after getting them back from the lab.

Take care, Rick[/QUOTE]

So, the mystery is solved. Rick, you placed this order:

This Massive Last Batch of Fuji Velvia 50 8x10 Film Cost a Photographer $100K+

It makes an Alpa with an IQ280 look like a bargain.

tsjanik

.................... but I do miss seeing those beautiful chromes on the light table after getting them back from the lab.

Take care, Rick
I suspect many miss the chromes on a light table. One would expect that a back-lit lcd screen would be its equal, but it’s not, for me anyway. Maybe psychological: the lcd displays an ephemeral abstraction, but the film saw the same scene you saw and was transformed in a physical way.
I never warmed to Velvia. I once used it along with K25 and K64 (and some K 200 for really high ISO!) during a trip to New Zealand in May. The green grass in the Velvia was unnaturally bright, the Kodachromes were much more realistic, showing the fading green grass of fall.
I enjoy your photos of the Great Lakes, keep posting please. A few of us know of their beauty, but in general, I think they are underappreciated in the photography community.

Tom

WildRover

Tom,

Thanks for your compliments on my photography efforts. I've been fortunate to photograph in a lot of great places, and a favorite has always been the Lake Superior region. Pictured Rocks is a nice place, and a personal project of sorts is trying to get as complete of coverage as possible. Finding those oddball little photos that tell the story of Pictured Rocks as well as photographing the iconic, classic locations is the goal. I've got quite a bit, but also some glaring holes in coverage. Nearly no winter photos and no photos from the water (an image stabilized 90mm would be great). It won't be until fall when I can get out to do some decent trips. So, most of what might get posted will be older files and a whole lot of Pictured Rocks.

With film in the past, when receiving that parcel from the lab, with photos that might have been from a trip weeks before, it was like Christmas. It would be a gamut of emotions, hating the results, to thinking there was some winners, and then going through the process of evaluating and sorting and such. All very tactile and real. With digital, there's no real waiting, not the same anticipation. Not to complain. There's a whole lot of good with what we have now.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.