The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I'm processing shots from a recent road trip. One more from the Palouse. A remarkable place, but not unknown; the top of Steptoe butte at sunset is filled with photographers, all with very high end equipment.
Tom ... keep it quiet ... it's our NW version of Tuscany except without the stone villages and castles. :toocool:

tsjanik

Tom ... keep it quiet ...
It is a lovely place and as many times as I have been to Washington, I had always gone to or through the N. Cascades on 20, so for me it was the first look. As for keeping it quiet: Judging by the number of tech cameras, Nikons and Canons I saw there, it might be too late.

Kjarahz

Hasselblad 501C - Fuji Pro 400H

Was at a flea market in Brooklyn, the person selling the records said that you have to smile when looking through the records. He did this because I was waiting and waiting for her to strike a good pose. So major thanks to that guy, I salute you record seller man! You helped me get my shot that day :thumbup:

Bildifokus

From a comercial shoot in the south of Sweden this week. It was a very nice B&B.​

Hasselblad H4D-50 | HC 2,8/80 | f2,8 | 1/800s | iso 50

davegrady1

I have recently joined the medium format club after having a chance to play with the Phase One System on a workshop in California and seeing all the amazing shots posted on this page. Below are a few pics from trip over to New Zealand, which was great to test out the new camera. Just wish I had a wider lens for it, but the initial cost of the basic system set me back enough. Thought I'd get some of that payed off first before getting myself into any more debt.

Shot with IQ140, 645DF+ & SK80mm LS

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Two more from the Palouse; the first is view from Steptoe, the second, a view of Steptoe from Kamiak Butte. Both with the 645D and 80-160mm or 600mm with crops:
Very nice. However, I see the pox of windmills is disturbingly close to Steptoe Butte now - they used to only be on the distant southern horizon. :eek:

I haven't been out there this year yet. I fear that this may be one of the last years to do so, at least for the big uncluttered scenics. :cussing:

I guess it's only a matter of time before they'll end up cluttering the backdrops of the Tetons, Badlands, sneaking in to Yosemite and Yellowstone, maybe throw in some in the Smokies too.

I understand the politics and if I were a farmer I'd want them on my land as a supplemental ATM machine too. However, in my part of the country we're definitely starting to get Windmill fatigue.

Shashin

I'm processing shots from a recent road trip. One more from the Palouse. A remarkable place, but not unknown; the top of Steptoe butte at sunset is filled with photographers, all with very high end equipment. I like the abstract quality of this one. It might be stronger with the top portion cropped.

Tom
One of the saddest and ugliest landscapes I have seen--not your photography, which is really powerful. But this shows the destruction that industrial agriculture can have on the landscape--actually, we have known this for centuries, but we like to keep repeating the same mistakes. Hopefully more wind turbines will go up so we can at least get some benefit from this wasteland. I hope Maine takes advantage of wind generation. We are starting. And like most places, we really have no natural wilderness to disrupt--pretty views don't really hide the fact of the development nor the industrial forestry.

tsjanik

Shashin:

I suspect you and I agree on a number of environmental issues, e.g. the sustainability of industrial farming, monoculture crops, etc. but I must disagree with your comment about the appearance of the Palouse - it is a remarkably beautiful place and likely looks very much as it did when it was native grassland.

As for the wind generators, they seem to be a no-brainer for power generation, but scaling them to industrial levels is not with out costs and limits. I'm sure you're aware of the controversies surrounding turbines, but here's a link you may have not seen:

Rethinking wind power | Harvard School of Engineering and Applied Sciences

As to their appearance, I agree with Graham; scattering them helter-shelter over the landscape is reminiscent of an earlier industrial mindset - put dams, factories etc. wherever they can make the most revenue.

Tom

20130720_6930 by tsjanik47, on Flickr

BlinkingEye

Not to go off topic, but Shashin, the smart money has already learned that the payback period on wind turbines is longer than their anticipated life span. In general the wind market is being supported by USA federal subsidies. As soon as the subsidies are over, so will the wind industry. It won't be long before the subsidies expire. Sorry. Furthermore, the country side filled with turbines is nothing but eye pollution. Please Google a few photos from central Kansas. I know because it is part of what I do for a living. Sorry to go off topic. As you were.

Shashin

Not to go off topic, but Shashin, the smart money has already learned that the payback period on wind turbines is longer than their anticipated life span. In general the wind market is being supported by USA federal subsidies. As soon as the subsidies are over, so will the wind industry. It won't be long before the subsidies expire. Sorry. Furthermore, the country side filled with turbines is nothing but eye pollution. Please Google a few photos from central Kansas. I know because it is part of what I do for a living. Sorry to go off topic. As you were.
Well, I am so glad that the fossil fuel and nuclear industries do not have federal subsidies. And I don't think that, for example, a coal-fired power plant is much prettier than a turbine--perhaps we should put power plants in our national parks. I would rather look at turbines. And how sustainable is the fossil-fuel industry? Is it sustainable enough to pay for the pollution that killed Maine lakes? Is it sustainable enough to compensate Maine fisheries for the stress caused by the acidification of the Gulf of Maine, at least their contribution? And what "smart money" are you talking about? Wall Street? Wind has proven to be an economic choice. Actually, I was not going off topic in the sense I was making a counterpoint to Graham's comments. I do think it is important for photographers that work in the natural world to appreciate it a little more than as an object for pretty pictures, because I think those pretty pictures can cause harm.

Tom, just like modern architecture, Palouse is very beautiful. But combined by what that beauty cost, it does make the image more poignant. In Japan, I would often see, almost a cliche, a photograph of regular trees on a Japanese mountain side in "nature" contests. It was simply a picture of a tree farm. And if you have been on a Japanese tree farm, you will see under the canopy a brown desert that is the forest floor--nothing grows there.

And I am just going to have to say that wind turbines are some of the most beautiful machines made by man. There is certainly no other power plant as beautiful. And if wind power plants are really so ugly, why do so many people go to Holland just to see and photograph them? Why do so many people photograph in very sentimental ways all the wind water pumping towers in Texas? Even the rusting, broken ones.

Now, if we really want to get off topic, but maybe get some consensus, what about cell towers...

...now back to the regular programming.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Either stay on topic or check facts before you make pompous statements. Wind energy has become economically viable many places in the world already, and if you add the cost of pollution to fossil energy, there never was any competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.