The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

pesto

Either stay on topic or check facts before you make pompous statements. Wind energy has become economically viable many places in the world already, and if you add the cost of pollution to fossil energy, there never was any competition.
There are precious few sources to be found offering respite from the non stop political blather that has pervaded and divided our world. Maybe we should remember that this is a photography venue and enjoy it as such putting the bickering aside.

Douglas Benson

Last edited:

Nathan W. Lediard

More yoga :)

This time it was raining so I decided againt the Big Stopper as I had left my umbrella in the van and it was a long hike across wet rocks and marshland to get it... so I went with this:
7 shot HDR (gasp... HDR... no not the evil HDR!) I use HDR very rarely, but I think it works here...

H4D-40 HCD 28mm f16

HDR with nik HDR efex pro and then black and white in Lightroom...

Shashin

Carmen, a poet from Romania. This was taken with a Pentax 645D.

This is from a project I did for Translations: Bates International Poetry Festival. It is from a series of eight portraits. This were printed out on 44" roll paper and stood 7ft tall. The entire series can be seen in a free Apple iBook available in the iBookstore. All of the color and black and white portraits were taken with a 645D and 55mm. The maps images were taken with a D800E. The Landsat images were taken with Landsat, but the processing is mine. I designed the iBook. The title is Translations: Bates International Poetry Festival, 2011. It would be best to do a search for "Bates College" as "translations" will get you lots of hits.

tsjanik

Very impressive Will. Interesting that she chose to write in German; I can't read all the text, but enough to know it's not a happy poem.
I couldn't find the book at the iBook store, so please post a link.

Shashin

Tom, thanks. The poetry festival invites poets from around the world. I had each poet write something, anything in their native language and then I put that with their portrait. The poems in the iBook are the native language poems with either student or faculty translations--hence the title of the festival.

Not to clutter GetDPI with links, I have just put a blog post on my site with the link at the bottom. Just use the link under my signature to get to my site. The first post you see will be the book.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
In Kauai for a couple of weeks. Brought the Arca and left the DF. Missing the flexibility and faster shooting style, but getting some nice things. Here's a couple of my favorites so far.

Arca with Rodenstock 40mm, (2 horizontal shot stitch, one with 5 stops split ND), 1/2 sec at f/16, ISO 35

Arca with Rodenstock 70mm, 2 seconds at f/22, ISO 35 3 stop split ND.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Wayne, it does not appear you've left anything necessary behind ;)

Very nice! :thumbs:

tsjanik

In Kauai for a couple of weeks. Brought the Arca and left the DF. Missing the flexibility and faster shooting style, but getting some nice things. Here's a couple of my favorites so far.

Arca with Rodenstock 40mm, (2 horizontal shot stitch, one with 5 stops split ND), 1/2 sec at f/16, ISO 35
This one is masterful Wayne. Did you change the focus for the second shot used in the stitch?

I've considered trying that technique, i.e. sort of a combination of stitching and focus stack, but haven't yet.

Tom

Last edited:

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
This one is masterful Wayne. Did you change the focus for the second shot used in the stitch?

I've considered trying that technique, i.e. sort of a combination of stitching and focus stack, but haven't yet.

Tom
The 40mm had plenty of depth of field for this shot. I'm not really close to any of the rocks (I'm standing on the edge, nothing in front of me except of a 30 foot drop to rocks below)

However, I have done that on occasion and it can work. Often the forground shot needs a different focus as well as a different exposure, so I've done stitches like that. In this case I needed to hold the sky back and it was pretty much all on the right exposure. Often I find it's easier to throw on the split ND and blend that rather than trying to blend two different exposures. I find pulling detail back from areas the filter affected when possible results in less work and a more natural blend.

With the Arca I was able to recalibrate the focus mechanism so it goes past the 0 point, which allowed me to get infinity tack sharp. After calibrating each lens I created a spreadsheet where I could plug in all the Arca data for focus, enter the new number I arrived at for each lens for infinity wide open (for example my 23mm requires me to go past the 0 all the way to 30). The spreadsheet applies all the offsets (including compensating for those that need to go below 0). I then stopped each lens down to f/16 and shot tests to see which number on the dial was where I lost acceptable sharpness at infinity, this becomes my main hyperfocal setting. All of those ended up in an iPhone formatted PDF which now resides in iBooks on my phone. Instantly available (unless my battery dies). The hyperfocal setting is also on the side of each lens.

When I need to focus closer, I do that manually, first with a loupe on the ground glass, then fine tuning with live view (I have Vari ND filter I can slip on the front quickly which makes this easer). If I need to focus stack, I focus on the close point, then focus slightly closer for good measure, and break the remaining down by how far I need to go to get to the hyperfocal number I've calculated. With the Arca this is very easy because the focus mechanism is so fine you end up turning it a long way.

Here's a shot of a "sacred forest" found inland on Kauai, part of a Hindu monastery. 9 shot focus stack taken with the Rodenstock 150.

tsjanik

The 40mm had plenty of depth of field for this shot. I'm not really close to any of the rocks (I'm standing on the edge, nothing in front of me except of a 30 foot drop to rocks below) ....................

Wonderful, I can see why it's called a sacred forest.
Thanks for the detailed reply, focus stacking and stitching is a technique I will try.

alajuela

When I need to focus closer, I do that manually, first with a loupe on the ground glass, then fine tuning with live view (I have Vari ND filter I can slip on the front quickly which makes this easer). If I need to focus stack, I focus on the close point, then focus slightly closer for good measure, and break the remaining down by how far I need to go to get to the hyperfocal number I've calculated. With the Arca this is very easy because the focus mechanism is so fine you end up turning it a long way.

HI Wayne
I am interested in your comment "(I have Vari ND filter I can slip on the front quickly which makes this easer)"
I have the Schnieder Vari ND and have step up rings on my tech lens - but "slip on" is not a term I would use. -- Please share :chug:
Best
Phil

Last edited:

johnnygoesdigital

Shashin,

One of the most beautiful aspects of photography is its ability to transcend cultural diversity, politics, and language, simply by our natural, instinctive state of mind.

When you introduce a contentious argument to a debatable topic, it takes away from this forum as a place that offers a respite from the onslaught of political agenda and media.

While opinions shape the fabric of who we are as individuals...i'd rather just look at your photographs.

Status
Not open for further replies.