The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shashin

Johnny, I see. Well, I am glad that photography allows us not to share our opinions and experiences. Do you apply that to Graham's post as well? I am sorry that my words prevent you from looking at the photographs here.

I take it that this means you will not come into the MFD forum and bash MFD--speaking of debatable and contentious arguments.

johnnygoesdigital

If it relates to photography and my indisputable experience with MFD, i'll be happy to share.

One's relationship to a photograph is unique and personal. Another's commentary could never influence that, so no need to be sorry.

Shashin

If you can comment on topics raised in the forum, then so can I. I don't think I am in violation of the letter or spirit of the TOS. And as you pointed out, our relationship to our photography is unique and personal and for me it goes beyond photography itself. If I have personally offended Graham, I apologize--it was not my intension. While his post inspired mine, I can separate the man from the issue. I have a hard time separating my photography of the natural world and the natural world itself--one inspires the other. I don't think you can talk about art as if it was divorced from the world. And to say that the environment and issue surrounding that have nothing to do with photographers that photograph the natural world, well, lets just say, how can you not care for what you love?

WildRover

There is a log right next to the trail at Pictured Rocks that has all kinds of fungi growing from it. I passed this log for years going back and forth to the sand dunes at the park. It wasn't until after my son took a few good shots with his super-zoom that I really took notice. On the last day of my last trip there last year, with overcast skies, I tried my luck. I have two or three more that might be nice, but these are probably the best.

Both with Pentax 645D, 120mm-A. Fungi Forest - 7 image stack, ISO 100, f/19, 2.5 sec each. Multiplicity and Psycho - 6 image stack, ISO 100, f/19, 10 - 20 sec each. The time difference is probably (can't remember) from removing the polarizer and getting more reasonable exposure times. Call me crazy, but I have B+H polarizers living on each of my lenses. If I have to, I'll remove them, but then they go right back on.

While I was there and set up, the overcast skies erupted with an intense and fierce rain. The weather sealing on the 645D held up well.

Rick

Last edited:

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
In Poipu (south shore) for the rest of the trip, surfs higher here since it's summer. Unfortunately a couple of spots I wanted to shoot on the north shore didn't work out because the surf action just isn't high enough. It's hard to find a location where you can get the surf in front of the sun on this side in the summer, but shortly after sunset, you can shoot about any direction and get some OK skies. Had to composite 2 shots to get what I was after here, showing the waves coming in as well as the water rushing off the rocks.

Arca Rm3di/IQ180 with Rodenstock 40mm, 1 sec at f/16, ISO 35, 5 stops of Split ND

WildRover

Last week I was up in the Northern Door County area with my son. He's been a photo companion of mine since being a toddler. At 17, he rarely comes with me any more, having more pressing teenage necessities. Because we wanted to check out a business that's in line with his career aspirations, he tagged along. In the old days he would preoccupy himself with throwing stones, finding bugs, or frogs, or snakes. Now he just plugs in the ear buds and he's lost in his music. I mention all this because the following day I received a call from Newport Park that my son's wallet was found and turned in. Seems he took out his wallet to get at the iPod and left the wallet behind. So, another trip to Newport for me, and a request, to look for his missing cell phone. Oh boy. So after retrieving the wallet, I hiked our route again, calling his phone at all the photo stops hoping to find it. No such luck.

About the photos: All with Pentax 645D, Pentax 645-A 120mm and 645-A 35mm.

Shine - Trying to find compositions that utilize the 120mm and found this. Was about 45 minutes before sunset, with the sun behind some clouds. Increased the ISO to 400 to get better depth of field with a faster shutter speed. f/16, 1/60 sec. Focused at the base of the main reeds. Backgroud is a bit soft, and unfortunately so is the very near foreground.

Hang'n Out - I processed this for a Black and White, but could not get it to work. Switched back to a color version and it came together rather nicely. 35mm, ISO 100, f/16, 15 sec.

Reach - Same trees as can be seen on the right side of Hang'n Out. Two shot hand blended HDR using masks. Tried processing this over and over again until I got to this. 35mm, ISO 100, 10sec and 2.5 sec, f/13 (should have used f/16 because near cliff rocks a bit soft).

Lakeside Quiet - One shot. 35mm, f/16, 70 sec, Lee 2 stop soft grad on an angle, polarizer turned slightly - but still got the dreaded over polarized blotch in the sky that I mostly got fixed in processing.

Last note of interest: My wife found the "lost" cellphone in my sons shorts pocket when doing laundry. Teenagers!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

pesto

Hello Rick,
Your images are fantastic, I especially like the fungus...great eye, but they are all quite beautiful.
Thanks for sharing the images and the funny story as well, it brings back memories of the not so distant past.

Douglas Benson

Last edited:

WildRover

Thank you Douglas. I enjoy telling a story such as this. I'm sure my boy, great kid by the way, is like so many others. He's also quite honest in his opinions of my photographs and I value that. He knows the types of photos I go after, and he has actually found many of the shots that I've photographed. Soon he'll be starting his own life and our forays into the wilds will be quite limited.

Thanks again Douglas. I appreciated the comments.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.