The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

etrump

Ed, it's a stunning image, but something bothers me that I can't put my finger on immediately. I'm not sure without playing, but the colour is maybe too orange and not golden enough?
Thanks all for the input, it confirms my assessment and does help pinpoint the problem.

The sunlight on the haze is overly yellow which is obviously bothersome. It was very hazy which helped with the sun beams but the color came across weird. I also had centerfold issues that had to be corrected so perhaps the back got too hot.

Maybe I'll revisit the raw file and see if I can improve it.

weinlamm

One of my test-pics from the weekend.

Trying out C1 - and I think with the P45+ it's really a thing which is needed. :( I normally use LR for nearly everything - but actually I feel there's a little bit more work with the Phase One. We will see if I will keep it. :rolleyes:

RVB

I'm not too excited about this image I shot in Africa but I have had a lot of requests based on a facebook post. I would appreciate any comments.

it's a powerful image Ed,I was just curious how it would look with a cooler foreground..

Rob

aeaemd

I'm not too excited about this image I shot in Africa but I have had a lot of requests based on a facebook post. I would appreciate any comments.

Ed

It is a great image and I love the orange, it makes the image. I tend to crop below the bright sun, I think it is the only negative if you are looking for one. THe fog at a distance and the tree shadows are powerful.

Amr

D&A

Ed, I agree with Paul, Swissblad and Philip. it is certainly stunning. My wife walked by as I was looking at the image and said "Wow, where is that?". On my screen the image appears oversaturated and there is something about the blue and intense yellow juxtaposed in the sky that is troubling and not natural looking. The trees should enhance/complete the image, but somehow their arrangement is not harmonious. Just my 2 cents; I wonder about a B&W version.

Tom
This is a rare case that I somewhat disagree with Tom and others who felt the image wasn't quite right with regards to color balance. With respect to the subject and location, I almost expect a scene like this to have somewhat exaggerated color..warmth, yellow-orangery (for lack of a better term) as an emphasis to the hot day's sun that often shadows over the African plains. I tried a neutral rendition and it didn't do it for me. What it looks like in print might be a different matter, so I'm basing it what I see on a screen. In any case, a stunning image and I would most probably leave it uncropped, but would have to revisit that again by viewing both versions side by side.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

Shashin

I agree with Tom, the color and contrast is unnatural. It is too hard/contrasty and too saturated to be real. But then again, I have never been to Africa...

alajuela

I agree with Tom, the color and contrast is unnatural. It is too hard/contrasty and too saturated to be real. But then again, I have never been to Africa...
Hi

I have to say - I enjoy this post, hearing different comments, I use the word enjoy, because it is refreshing and interesting to have honest opinions from people I respect based on their posted work and comments, this kind on honesty is so refreshing. I think we all owe Ed a thanks for asking and is so great to talk images not what socks we had on when we pushed the shutter. Everybody that commented and ED - I thank you!!!
Phil

Grayhand

I have started using a Fuji 645W range finder so I can shoot film again without to have to only relay on my 4x5 or 8x10.
I have a soft spot for range finders after my Mamiya 6 cameras.
And because I feel completely comfortable with the 6x6 format, it was time to try the 645 format.
For some reason, I never feel really comfortable in my comfort zoon :confused:

I dropped three rolls of C41 films to a local lab that I had not used before.
I actually did not know that they still had a machine that could handle the 120-format.
And of course was they able to make a mess out of the films.
They looked as if they was trying to make some kind of bellow out of the films.

So I give up on labs. I already develop my own B/W films and now I have chemistry for bout C41 and E6.
I can at least do better than the different labs I have used lately...

Söderåsen nature reserve. From one of the mistreated films. But I did like the subject, so.. Cropped.
Fuji 645W, 60mm, Kodak Portra 400.

Ray

Ray, I share your attachment to rangefinders. I have my Mamiya 7II tucked away in the dry box. Fortunately I have a very wonderful lab not too far from home and when I want to shoot and get lovely C-type prints back (say a day out with the family), I'll pull out the M7II, shoot a couple of rolls and get 5R prints from them. It's wonderful, simple, pleasing photography. The whole family are excited in anticipation of getting our photo's back, and it usually involves a set-lunch at a little italian restaurant around the corner to the lab, no editing, no viewing on ipads.

The only camera I truly regretted selling was my first Mamiya 7. As soon as an opportunity came up, I bought one back a couple of years ago. Even if only a handful of rolls go through it per year, it's still a most rewarding experience and worth having there.

tsjanik

An encore from Georgian Bay. 28 mm/IQ180 hand held from my boat.

Just a wonderful image. You're making me envious Bill. My wife and I were going to travel up the 400 to the trans Canada and camp along the way on Georgian Bay. But someone let his passport expire so we traveled through Chicago instead :cussing:

Tom

tsjanik

Hi

I have to say - I enjoy this post, hearing different comments, I use the word enjoy, because it is refreshing and interesting to have honest opinions from people I respect based on their posted work and comments, this kind on honesty is so refreshing. I think we all owe Ed a thanks for asking and is so great to talk images not what socks we had on when we pushed the shutter. Everybody that commented and ED - I thank you!!!
Phil
I agree and perhaps someone can tell me why I don't like these images from the Palouse as much as I think I should. I'm reasonably happy with the 2nd, but the 1st is frustrating. I like the variation in colors and shapes, but something is lacking.

Tom

_IGP8278 copy by tsjanik47, on Flickr

Untitled_Panorama6 by tsjanik47, on Flickr

Status
Not open for further replies.