The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

carbonmetrictree

Re: Fun with MF images, part 2: What are you shooting with that MF back?

I've just finished a small ALPA lens test with Eric Staudenmaier that included the 24XL, 28HR, 35XL, 47XL and 72XL. The 28HR's max shift capabilities are about 12mm before the image becomes unusable. I would LOVE to try and do this same shot using a 47XL Digitar with it's absolutely ridiculous image circle. Though, I'm not too sure my Mac Pro will be able to handle a +10gig image!

I'll definitely report back as soon as the 23HR is released, that lens is like the Mamiya 28mm for Guy :ROTFL:

Ahhh..I am asking because I am waiting for my Max to arrive and couldnt get my mind around how you got so much X&Y coverage with a simple horisontal movement using the Max's horisontal stops....and a wide angle..so I was thinking you must have done a large crop...:)

I look forward to your opinion re the rodenstock when you get it.
Thanks

Don Libby

I spent the past couple days at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon testing/evaluating a Cambo RS 1000 along with a P45+. The time spent was for me to see if I liked the system, could adapt to a new workflow, and more importantly capture images that would be of higher resolution and just all around better than what I've been using before (Phase 645, P30+ mainly with a Mamiya 28mm lens). Went to the North Rim in hopes of catching decent fall colors; spending the time in learning the technical aspects of shooting with a technical camera. We found that we were about a week to ten days early for the burst of colors and the sky was just plain crappy with no clouds in sight; here are samples from the past 3 days.

2 shots: 47mm; 10mm fall and 10mm shift either direction. I was standing right off the road shooting down into the path. f/11 @1/15 ISO 50.

two shots taken with Cambo RS 1000, P45+ and 47mm lens. ISO 50, Custom WB, f/11 @ 1/60 and 10mm shift left and right. Opened in CS3 Bridge, merged using bridge and PP in CS3.

North Rim view - single image f/11 @ 1/500 with 10mm fall

These sample just don't do justice to the images taken then again it's hard to really tell the quality of any image in a small JPEG.

My conclusion is that this system is very good to great; in fact I'm waiting to hear back from Chris at Capture Integration has to an order status. Once the order is placed I'll be selling my 28mm lens so stay tuned!

Once again I want to thank Dave and Chris at Capture Integration for allowing me the opportunity to have the equipment for the test.

don

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

What I've noticed with the panorama merge is that the more shots you take for a panoramic results in a reduction of the "bowing" curve in the foreground.

If I remember, I believe each shot was at f/16, 1m15s @ ISO50. The long exposure capability with the Phase backs was one of the main reasons why I chose this manufacturer.
Thanks for the clarification Andrew, and yes, the more images you have in the pan will create more bowing ---- BUT only in the "perspective" projection! If you try "cylindrical" you might prefer the slight added disortion over the pincushion squeeze of perspective. Just a thought :)

The very reason I asked about exposure time --- and one of the reasons I chose Phase over other options too. I do primarily landscape, and at early dawn or later dusk, I need to go over one minute exposures with some regularity :)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

I spent the past couple days at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon testing/evaluating a Cambo RS 1000 along with a P45+. The time spent was for me to see if I liked the system, could adapt to a new workflow, and more importantly capture images that would be of higher resolution and just all around better than what I've been using before (Phase 645, P30+ mainly with a Mamiya 28mm lens). Went to the North Rim in hopes of catching decent fall colors; spending the time in learning the technical aspects of shooting with a technical camera. We found that we were about a week to ten days early for the burst of colors and the sky was just plain crappy with no clouds in sight; here are samples from the past 3 days.

2 shots: 47mm; 10mm fall and 10mm shift either direction. I was standing right off the road shooting down into the path. f/11 @1/15 ISO 50.

two shots taken with Cambo RS 1000, P45+ and 47mm lens. ISO 50, Custom WB, f/11 @ 1/60 and 10mm shift left and right. Opened in CS3 Bridge, merged using bridge and PP in CS3.

North Rim view - single image f/11 @ 1/500 with 10mm fall

These sample just don't do justice to the images taken then again it's hard to really tell the quality of any image in a small JPEG.

My conclusion is that this system is very good to great; in fact I'm waiting to hear back from Chris at Capture Integration has to an order status. Once the order is placed I'll be selling my 28mm lens so stay tuned!

Once again I want to thank Dave and Chris at Capture Integration for allowing me the opportunity to have the equipment for the test.

don

maybe they should send it to me next.:D

Don Libby

maybe they should send it to me next.:D
Guy - Liked it so much I just placed an order for one! Are we going to need a truck to haul everything when we have that lunch?:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

don

C

carbonmetrictree

LOL, with 4x5 and T64 at f/16-22, the rule was pretty much to smoke a cigarette and end the exposure after you're done with it. :D

I hate the P65+, lol

Thanks for the clarification Andrew, and yes, the more images you have in the pan will create more bowing ---- BUT only in the "perspective" projection! If you try "cylindrical" you might prefer the slight added disortion over the pincushion squeeze of perspective. Just a thought :)

The very reason I asked about exposure time --- and one of the reasons I chose Phase over other options too. I do primarily landscape, and at early dawn or later dusk, I need to go over one minute exposures with some regularity :)

Guy Mancuso

Guy - Liked it so much I just placed an order for one! Are we going to need a truck to haul everything when we have that lunch?:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

don
That setup makes perfect sense for you, no question. We may need that truck. LOL

lance_schad

Workshop Member

Don,

The images look spectacular. I am glad that you see the difference the Cambo with movements and the superb image quality of the Digitar lenses.

You'll need to send us a new file for us to print for our wall in Miami with the change in seasons (and camera system:D).

You may also want to consider the Cambo Wide Compact System as well for a walk around compact camera w/o movements (the TC of the Cambo line) that shares the lenses and accessories with the RS.

Lance

J

jmvdigital

Went out this evening quickly for a few shots with my newly acquired AFD and P30+. Unfortunately, the 30+ has a few issues and will headed back, but Chris at CI has been very helpful and a replacement is in the works.

This camera is great. Obviously clunkier than my Canon days, but the images... wow! So crisp. The WB and metering seem to be a lot more random than the Canon, so I'll have to be on my toes a bit while I learn things.

This shot isn't amazing by any means, but it's the best I got from my short trip out.

C

carbonmetrictree

Welcome to the dark side :D

Nice fall colors, Justin!

It took me around a week before I stopped taking random pictures on my desk just to see how damn sharp everything was.

Guy Mancuso

Justin just put the baby on daylight and forget AWB , not that it is wrong just that daylight is always right most of the time

Don Libby

Don,
You'll need to send us a new file for us to print for our wall in Miami with the change in seasons (and camera system:D).
Lance
No worries Lance - I'll see about getting an image out to you.

This camera is great. Obviously clunkier than my Canon days, but the images... wow! So crisp. The WB and metering seem to be a lot more random than the Canon, so I'll have to be on my toes a bit while I learn things.
Justin - good shot! I agree w/Guy, just set it on daylight and have a ball. BTW - welcome to this place we call medium format h.......:ROTFL:

don

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Congrats Justin, and nice first capture!!!

J

jmvdigital

EDIT: I'm moving my question out of this thread and into it's own. Don't want to clog this up.

J

jmvdigital

Two shots from a trip up the Poudre Canyon yesterday. Both are with my new Mamiya 150mm IF D. Very sweet lens so far. The rock face image sorta loses its power at this smaller size.

David K

Workshop Member

I had finished shooting the sunset the other evening and was heading back to my car with my camera in the bag and tripod over my shoulder. I thought the composition of this shot might be interesting (I had been much farther to the camera left with the sunset reflected in the center of the image) and decided not to be lazy and so I set up my gear again. Turned out to be the best shot of the bunch. It's a two shot vertical pano merged in CS3... shot with the Hy6 and Rollei 50mm 2.8 Super Angulon PQS at around f/9.

carstenw

Wow, stunning clouds! Nice catch.

I downloaded it and was playing with the crop a bit, since I think that the buildings on the right and left detract a little from the clouds. A square crop around the clouds, leaving out the left and right looked really nice, I thought.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member

David,
Lovely shot, and I see you also captures one of the Florida mountains :)
-bob

David K

Workshop Member

Carsten,
Thanks for the suggestion on the crop, I was conflicted on a number of things with this image including how dark the shadows are... I'll give a tighter crop a look see.

Bob,
Thanks bud, but that's not a mountain, it's just a hill. The mountains are at least 20-30' higher :)

Status
Not open for further replies.