The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

irakly

Re: Fun with MF images, part 2: What are you shooting with that MF back?

shot a self-portrait the other night...
C645/P25, Broncolor Minipuls C80
wardrobe from Juicy Couture, styling by yours truly :ROTFL:

J

jmvdigital

Re: Loveland Feed & Grain

Haha! Woody, I wrote to you about us being in the same area when I was interested in possibly buying your H3D! No worries. We should definitely get together. I am trying to orchestrate a Meetup group right now actually as well. My intent was get pro (or at least serious) photographers involved to meet, shoot, discuss, critique... whatever. But so far it seems there is a lot of newbies tagging along with Rebels. Shooters like you would be perfect. I will be out this coming Friday in Old Town doing some night shooting as part of the group if you'd like to come out. Check out the group: http://photo.meetup.com/819/

-J

Hey Justin

Looks like we are neighbors. I live in South Fort Collins, just on the Loveland border. We should get together for coffee and perhaps do a shoot or two together.

Best

Woody

Graham Mitchell

Car in my street. Pano made of 18 shots. Do you prefer colour or mono version?

carstenw

Nice effect. I recall someone on FM doing similar stuff with his Mustang. Is that a little ghosting on the rear-most pillar of the car? How did you find out the entrance pupil of your setup? What do you use, a Nodal Ninja 5 or something else?

Graham Mitchell

Yes, I was inspired by Dan Brown's sample. I didn't use any special head, just an Arca Swiss monoball. No that's not ghosting, just bokeh :)

carstenw

In the case of this picture, I guess "car in my street" is preferable to "my car in street" :D

I prefer colour, btw. What is the final size of the image?

Do you have a wide lens? Try going closer sometime, to exaggerate the effect. Stitching might be problematic with just a ballhead though :)

Graham Mitchell

In the case of this picture, I guess "car in my street" is preferable to "my car in street" :D

I prefer colour, btw. What is the final size of the image?

Do you have a wide lens? Try going closer sometime, to exaggerate the effect. Stitching might be problematic with just a ballhead though :)
You are right, I could go closer but I should get a pano head first. The final image is 11,000 x 7,000 pixels. Here's a crop:

carstenw

Ouch, I think I just cut my eye. That must look great printed huge.

J

jmvdigital

Graham, fantastic image. I'll comment on it here instead of LL with all that bickering.

Personally, I much prefer the color version. The mono image is nice, but it just becomes a boring car shot then. With the color, you see the quirky paint colors, the moss in the stones, etc. Just brings it to another level of character.

I'm dying to get a pano head myself. Someone in LL posted an image of a homemade one, but I don't honestly think I would trust it to support a MFDB system.

carstenw

The NN5 looks quite good, and is not too expensive for that level of equipment. I will probably start saving my beans for that one.

Stuart Richardson

Interesting photo Graham. I actually think I like the black and white, but I tend to trend that way. Can you explain a bit more about this technique? Other than resolution, why is this any different than just taking a single picture of the car? Would you mind posting what one of the single shots of the 18 shot panorama?

carstenw

You can get 1) much higher resolution, obviously, and 2) much less DoF with this technique. I have an example made with a Leica M8 and the 50 Lux ASPH. here:

http://throughthelensdarkly.com/blog/2007_3.html#16jun

I took a photo with the WATE at 21mm, about the same angle of view, and the depth of field wide open at f/4 extended almost to the buildings in the back.

Stuart Richardson

ah, ok. I was trying to figure out what was going on there, and that makes sense. Cool photos, both of you. Carsten, how did you get her to stay still for 36 photos?

Don Libby

Taking a short mental health break from processing some recent images and decided to visit my friends here and see what's going on and I'm glad I did.

Graham - I really like the car shot. Can't make up my mind if I like the color better than the B&W or something in-between (keep the greens and blue turn the rest to B&W?)

Carsten - Visited "Through the Lens Darkly" the visit left me with a lot of emotions all good. Great photography!

Justin - This isn't a plug however I have a RRS pano kit that I "might" sell. This is all very much in the thinking stages. The sale will only happen if after I get my Cambo RS I find I no longer have a need for it. Next to the Mamiya 28mm the pano kit is my all time favorite tool in my kit so it'll take a lot for me to part with it however if I'm thinking of it I just might do it (I've never never thought about selling it before).

It was great visiting but I have to get back to work.

later

don

woodyspedden

Re: Loveland Feed & Grain

Haha! Woody, I wrote to you about us being in the same area when I was interested in possibly buying your H3D! No worries. We should definitely get together. I am trying to orchestrate a Meetup group right now actually as well. My intent was get pro (or at least serious) photographers involved to meet, shoot, discuss, critique... whatever. But so far it seems there is a lot of newbies tagging along with Rebels. Shooters like you would be perfect. I will be out this coming Friday in Old Town doing some night shooting as part of the group if you'd like to come out. Check out the group: http://photo.meetup.com/819/

-J
Justin

Now I remember. Man I spend too much time on these forums (fora?)

Anyway I'd love to join you in old town tonight but I had surgery on my right thumb last Thursday and I now have a cast on which won't come off until November 6th. So the only shots I take until then are glasses of whiskey LOL

Let's stay in touch and i'll join you for a shoot at a later time

Best

Woody

carstenw

Stuart, I got her to stand still for the two she was in, then asked her to stand behind me :) She is (or rather, was... now she is getting too camera-aware) a great subject, and we had a lot of fun setting up stuff for photos.

Don, thanks a bunch, that means something coming from someone with as nice a site as you. It was a personal project to take a photo a day (on average, sometimes 0, sometimes 3 a day...) and keep it real for as long as I could. Last December, my job took a turn for the worse, so my enthusiasm started petering out. Then my girlfriend got pregnant (my daughter is now 3 weeks old!), and that was that for the project. I recently noticed that I never added a year to the dates, so maybe I'll start out again soon and it'll look like nothing ever happened :D

Nah, I'll add a big comment about what happened, but I do want to get going with it again. It is just harder now that I try to get straight home after work to help with the little one.

Anyway, this all has nothing to do with MF (it was all M8), so I'll cut this short.

These past days, I have been building up a Contax 645 system, and with the recent price drops, I think that used backs will come down significantly in price, so maybe by the end of the year, I will be posting images here? I mean, a new Sinar e54 LV now costs 6000 Euro! Amazing. The Kodak back can't keep costing 4000 any more, or I'll just save for a Sinar or something else nice. Maybe a used P25+. I would love to have long exposure ability.

Last edited:

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member

Carsten - a big CONGRATULATIONS ! ! ! on the birth of your daughter.

Status
Not open for further replies.