The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I use an app called Tilt Calculator on the iPhone. Your Rodie 40 on a full frame 40x54mm sensor @f/11 and 30in from the horizontal plane does indeed come out with a calculated tilt of precisely 3 degrees to give you everything from your toes to infinity in focus.

Nice to know that the theory and practice matched :thumbs:
Let's see... 40mm/30in .. at 25mm/in, so 40/750, but that's in radians, so multiply by 60, so 2400/750, and that's 3. Yep 3 degrees.

You need an app for that? :D

If our tilt indicators had more significant digits, I could see it, but the answer is usually rounded to the nearest half degree.

Now as for what wedge will be sharp - how high up in the trees will be clear - that you need to know sensor size and f-stop. Torger posted a truly wonderful paper on focus with tilts. VERY highly recommended.

--Matt

(I am, of course, joking about doing this mentally. Any calculation made at 5am is going to be wrong. :ROTFL:)

tcdeveau

I've posted this viewpoint before but here's Cullasaja falls in NC last weekend. Leaves had started changing and had already fallen on some of the trees. Quick edit, still need to play around with the image a bit more. H4D-40, 35-90, 80mm 1.6 sec ISO 100

Shashin

Is it my imagination or does there seem to be an explosion of work in the MF section? I thought MF was dead?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Is it my imagination or does there seem to be an explosion of work in the MF section? I thought MF was dead?

Rebirth. LOL

I want to come back. I was in heaven shooting the tech cam for the week in Maine. I like the process.

I even enjoyed very much shooting the Leica S this time around. Nice improvements since I shot it last when it came out. Its ready for prime time for Pros now. At least for me its a system I could get into now.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Rick's lovely picture of Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore reminded me of my own trip there - also in September! (We might have met, Rick!)

So here's more of that "Explosion of work in the MF section".

WildRover

Rick's lovely picture of Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore reminded me of my own trip there - also in September! (We might have met, Rick!)

It's too bad we didn't. I would have enjoyed the meeting. I was there between the 21st and the 29th. It looks like you have had quite the road trip - You've posted some splendid images. I have yet to do the Pictured Rocks boat tour. You've come away with exactly the type of photo that I hope to do eventually. Looks like it must be Grand Portal Arch during a sunset tour. Beautiful.

Rick

WildRover

Bill,

Do you mind mentioning your camera settings on your arch photo. I would think one would have to up the ISO in order to compensate for the boat vibrations. Did you use any kind of support (bracing, tripod, monopod)? Do you think the settings you used were adequate, or would you do anything different if you did it again. Your photo looks great, but it is a lowly jpg so its hard to critically judge. Thanks in advance.

Rick

WildRover

Here's a few more from Pictured Rocks - from last year. Bill may have seen this shoreline from his boat tour. I believe that Remnant Color which is Grand Portal Point is just above Bill's shot.

Last edited:

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Bill,

Do you mind mentioning your camera settings on your arch photo. I would think one would have to up the ISO in order to compensate for the boat vibrations. Did you use any kind of support (bracing, tripod, monopod)? Do you think the settings you used were adequate, or would you do anything different if you did it again. Your photo looks great, but it is a lowly jpg so its hard to critically judge. Thanks in advance.

Rick
My wife and I were at the park (we stayed in Munising) the 24 and 25th September!

I don't have access to the original file on this computer but it was the Mamiya 150D lens, using 1/1000 sec (shutter speed priority), using Sensor+ which would have been ISO 800. The aperture was likely close to wide open - that lens is critically sharp at full aperture which is why I was using it. (It's the only lens I took on the boat.)

It was definitely hand held - any bracing would have transmitted the boat's vibrations. But the water was extremely calm, which really helped.

I took about a hundred shots on the boat trip - less than half were truly sharp! I find that taking two or three in quick succession increases the chance of at least one being sharp!

There are a couple of others I'll post in a few days.

Thanks for your kind comments!

Hope this helps!
Bill

WildRover

Thanks Bill for your reply. Your shooting technique is about what I had figured, but wasn't quite sure if a tripod type support would help or be a hindrance. Can't wait for more of your postings.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.