The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

sinwen

Re: Fun with MF images, part 2: What are you shooting with that MF back?

First my name is Michel, sorry about that .

Then I thanks you all for your answers. Saving for a digi-back is a good idea but it will take me a life time, so it isn't an option right now. Nonetheless I will follow Mark's advice and keep the 501. Decision of not making any move is quite easy particularly when I am not very enthusiastic about DSLR sizes and weight pretty similar to the 501, lenses being zoom zoom and the so many programs and buttons.

One thing said is CCD seems better than CMOS is of high interest, I think Leica is using CCD, am I right ? They could well be the only manufacturer doing it in aps sensors.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

IMO, the only thing that really counts is what the print looks like.
Agreed. And on this front, I have prints from my 1DS2 (16MP) that easily equal the best I ever got from scanned MF film --- hence my comment that the 5D*2* will likely equal scanned MF :).

To carry this discussion one step further with a few minor points. I will also go on record saying that IMHO:

1) 22 MP MF capture well exceeds anything I seen from any DSLR, including 21MP + AA filtered DSLR capture.

2) 39 MP MF capture is almost (not quite, but very, very close) to being as good as a drum-scan of a perfectly executed 4x5 negative.

Cheers,

Stuart Richardson

This is interesting, it could be my inexperience, but 6x7 film still looks better to me than my 22mp MFDB. Perhaps I should do a real comparison to see if this is just my bias....

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

but 6x7 film still looks better to me than my 22mp MFDB.
My whole point above is that I think one needs to define "better" for themselves.

In *my* case I favored digital's relative lack of grain which was visible in even a 16x24 print from scanned MF Provia.

I did however feel many of the film scans had smoother tonality than their DSLR equivalents.

Tonality is an area where I feel MF digital capture, even 22MP, excels over DSLR capture, and in most cases I find it better than scanned MF. Conversely, I feel scanned 4x5 (or larger) exhibits smoother tonality than 39MP MF capture.

Hope these clarify my preferences, and I respect that others feelings may be entirely different -- :)

anGy

Interesting side note on "Stitching".

I'm way into MFD Stitching for commercial applications these days (still learning about it) ... most recent application was an axel testing Dynamometer room using multiple panning shots with the H3D-II/39 and HC/28mm. Not enough room to get back and use a longer focal length ... and the 28 was too wide causing too much regular W/A distortion. These shots will be potentially used for 6 to 10 foot wide wall graphics that will be viewed close up by engineers ... ( the ultimate pixel peepers? : -)

My point is that stitching proves that we want, and sometimes need, even more resolution ... and full frame 645 with 65 megs or more isn't a ridiculous desire.

Not exactly "fun with MF" being that it's hard work to do these under time constraints, really bad lighting and "factory" filth. I did learn something on this job ... I stitched processed DNGs straight from ACR and lost the DNG corrections available in Phocus ... resulting in some distortion in the crane rail at the back of the room. Next time I will go through Phocus and stitch the processed Tiffs with DAC applied. Ya learn something every day :rolleyes:
Hi Fotografz,
I am also using a H3DII (but 22mp) with the HC 28mm (for a little while only) & just received a really right stuff pano head last week-end.
I was amazed by the result of the first quick test I made: 6 pictures taken every 15° in a room with no 'room' to back-up.
The big mistake I made: i was starting the 1st shot (and ending the last one) at the border of the frame so that I had to use the borders in the final composition. In my opinion there is just few distortion elsewhere in the picture because it is using the best part of each shot (DAC corrected in Phocus) but not for the extreme right and left sides of the picture.

I just mention that because I have the same impression in looking at your picture.
Now I know that for good stitched results with the 28mm, I need to start to shoot larger than the final frame. Obvious for some, lesson learned for me.

(Don't look at the light, no care was taken to make a correct exposure)

Don Libby

Very interesting image (meaning I like it). Don't you just love the RRS pano gear!

don

PeterA

Marc - that testing platform is one giant milling 'bed' - would be fascinating to see how they 'locked down' each side of the machine...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Marc - that testing platform is one giant milling 'bed' - would be fascinating to see how they 'locked down' each side of the machine...
Peter: It's actually just a foot tall model that Marc lit to make it look like a large real room and machine.

:ROTFL:

PeterA

Very funny Jack:LOL::bugeyes:

I just love BIG stuff.

fotografz

Hi Fotografz,
I am also using a H3DII (but 22mp) with the HC 28mm (for a little while only) & just received a really right stuff pano head last week-end.
I was amazed by the result of the first quick test I made: 6 pictures taken every 15° in a room with no 'room' to back-up.
The big mistake I made: i was starting the 1st shot (and ending the last one) at the border of the frame so that I had to use the borders in the final composition. In my opinion there is just few distortion elsewhere in the picture because it is using the best part of each shot (DAC corrected in Phocus) but not for the extreme right and left sides of the picture.

I just mention that because I have the same impression in looking at your picture.
Now I know that for good stitched results with the 28mm, I need to start to shoot larger than the final frame. Obvious for some, lesson learned for me.

(Don't look at the light, no care was taken to make a correct exposure)

Thanks, that's the same thing I learned ... shoot more to the right and left than you need.

Joseph Ramos

Workshop Member

anGy,
Nice listening room are those Sonus Fabers or Usher speakers?

J

jmvdigital

Yeah, looks like a seriously nice hi-fi system you got there. Looks like I might see bi-wired solid core copper there?

J

jmvdigital

A shot from the other night in downtown Fort Collins. P30+ with Mamiya AF 45mm.

C

carbonmetrictree

Nice image Justin, glad to have another night shooter on here!

Here's one walking around the neighborhood, the Fremont Station is only a few blocks away.

fotografz

Peter: It's actually just a foot tall model that Marc lit to make it look like a large real room and machine.

:ROTFL:
Actually it's a specialized room to measure Noise, Vibration and Harshness for the Axel component of a drive train. The walls are audio suppression material and design to isolate the test .. and very sensitive microphones are set up around the test subject while they run the crap out of it with a powerful, but silent motor that simulates the power of a automobile engine.

There is a whole room of computers connected to this room.

They also actually bring in cars and trucks for measuring any Vibration while torturing the drive train for days on end. Which is why it's so big.

You get to shoot all sorts of interesting stuff from time to time. ;)

Stuart Richardson

anGy,
Nice listening room are those Sonus Fabers or Usher speakers?
Yes, they look like Sonus Faber...I have cremona auditors, they sound so lovely. They really know how to make speakers...

By the way, I love your tripod lamp. Did you make that yourself? Did you just make it from an old wooden tripod?

Status
Not open for further replies.