The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Had a fabulous visit to the yard with John. Great to see his operation and the navy yard. I could spend a few weeks just wandering around hunting for the interesting scenes around the dry docks, cranes, fabulous buildings and the run down officer's buildings. Heck, even the technicolor artist studios there are a festival of textures and hues.

John was the perfect host. Mother Nature did her part too with a $m sky and light tonight over Manhattan but my $50 Sony battery didn't!

It was also great visiting a true fabrication shop. My father used to run a food and chemical mixing equipment company before he retired and it brought back memories seeing all of the lathes, milling machines, metal rolling machines and presses. John's CNC and water cutting machines were really fascinating to see too. Next time I'll turn up during the week and witness the cacophony of a working workshop :thumbs:

I envy you , Graham and John .
Having all shown NAVY YARD images of John in mind , I think , I could spend there weeks as well . Exactly as Graham says .
An absolutely great location and great images from John .:thumbs:

Nutcracker

Dublin Bay Winter Sunset
PhaseOne DF, IQ180, SK 4.5/240LS, MUP, ST, Gitzo 5 series, ASCube, ISO 35, f7.1, 1/200.
During the winter months, the sun sets across Dublin Bay from where I live. Mostly it is dull and overcast at the time of year, and if not, the sky is utterly cloudless with low humidity so low that the setting sun is just too bright. Sunset is usually during office hours too. Very occasionally, there is a good sky, that coincides with a full tide covering the feeding grounds for the internationally important wintering grounds of the Light-Bellied Brent Goose that breeds in the Canadian High-Artic. And, very occasionally, I am at home at the right combination of times. Investing in the PhaseOne system has been a delight to me (Nikon still the wildlife outfit). My favourite sunset here remains a Nikon Coolpix S2 6mp image of a wavelet breaking on the beach in 2006 (the camera at reach is the only one that gives the quality!), but this is also special to me, combining the industry of the city docks in the haze, the power-plant towers and the birds of the wilderness.
Getting the timing right, on the rare opportunity when everything coincides is still a problem, pre-planning
the shutter fire especially with birds swimming or worse flying through the scene, with low ISO and adequate DOF.
I await, eagerly, the Alpa Phase/Mamiya auto-adapter for the SK LS lenses, and the new FPS firmware allowing IPhone shutter firing!

Status
Not open for further replies.